J&J vs Moderna/Pfizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a quick chat with a physician Friday, briefly discussed J&J. She said that evidently women of child-bearing age seem to be impacted and even then at a much lower risk than contracting Covid. She opined that 'dudes' and older women should be offered the J&J vaccine.

I just received a call from our county health department (I was on a wait list)... J&J is back on the menu. My son and I are getting our vaccines tomorrow afternoon. It was originally scheduled for today, so it only got pushed back 24 hours.

Saw an ad today looking for volunteers for a clinical trial of a new version of the Moderna vaccine, hoped to be even more effective. I was about to volunteer for it until I saw that one of the criteria was that you could not have already been vaccinated. So they're still moving fast in developing new and improved vaccines. Very encouraging.

My SIL has transplanted lungs and is immune suppressed. Recent tests show that the Pfizer vaccine didn't take. What a bummer!

I have been helping folks find vaccine appointments for close to 2 months now in multiple states. I've mostly been helping elderly people that aren't internet savvy as well as helping some organizations get appointments for people that don't have internet access or are language-challenged. I have seen a HUGE increase in available appointments in the last 2 weeks. Just lots of open slots that are going unfilled. This is true in rural areas and urban areas.

So book your vaccine appointments now. These vaccines are incredibly safe and effective. If you have been waiting to get your vaccine because you didn't want to jump the line or just didn't want to hassle with looking for an available appointment, there is lots of supply and now is a good time to get to it. If there are no mass vaxx sites near you, book with CVS, Walgreens, Riteaid, Walmart, Costco, Wegmans, and lots of other grocery store pharmacies and independent pharmacies.

My SIL has transplanted lungs and is immune suppressed. Recent tests show that the Pfizer vaccine didn't take. What a bummer!

Could you elaborate? If you mean she took an antibody test those are far from conclusive evidence of immunity.

What type of test. My immune suppressed DH may need to take a test to determine effectiveness of the vaccine but his doctor says the antibody test is not really reliable

I have been helping folks find vaccine appointments for close to 2 months now in multiple states. I've mostly been helping elderly people that aren't internet savvy as well as helping some organizations get appointments for people that don't have internet access or are language-challenged.

What a nice thing you're doing for people who don't have relatives who can help!

Could you elaborate? If you mean she took an antibody test those are far from conclusive evidence of immunity.

My son-in-law is a Stanford Hospital patient (Palo Alto). Two years ago he had a lung transplant. He is on immune-suppressive drugs. He and my daughter had the Pfizer vaccine 2 months ago. Evidently, Stanford tested him for Covid19 antibodies and didn't find any. He is back to cloistered at home. A big issue is that his two school-aged children are too young to be vaccinated. Go back to classrooms, sports, activities?

I don't know what antibody test they are using. Because of the impact on his life I hope they are using the best. Come on Pfizer, figure this out! A false positive could kill him.

Last edited:
My son-in-law is a Stanford Hospital patient (Palo Alto). Two years ago he had a lung transplant. He is on immune-suppressive drugs. He and my daughter had the Pfizer vaccine 2 months ago. Evidently, Stanford tested him for Covid19 antibodies and didn't find any. He is back to cloistered at home. A big issue is that his two school-aged children are too young to be vaccinated. Go back to classrooms, sports, activities?

I don't know what antibody test they are using. Because of the impact on his life I hope they are using the best. Come on Pfizer, figure this out! A false positive could kill him.

What a stressful situation. what do you want Pfizer to do to address it? We have a contact from our working days with a heart/lungs transplant and he got Covid. You think he would have been in a bunker but he got it. He was deathly ill, he did live but according to his DD he tested positives for Covid for around 63 days. He couldn't go to OT until he got a negative Covid test.

Well, I received the J&J vaccine on Tuesday. Didn't sleep at all that night (fever/chills, muscle aches, etc)... slept some yesterday. Had a good night's sleep last night and feel great today :)

I made a phone call this morning, to renew my gym membership. Once I'm "fully vaccinated" (around four weeks) I'll probably start going again (continuing to take all precautions of course). Even though it's been open I haven't felt safe going in the past year... I do now.

Immunosuppressed patients are not responding well to the vaccines. Whether natural or induced immunosuppression, this is an expected result.

It might be prudent to get a reliable serum antibody test a few weeks after your second vaccine. Make sure it's a test for antibodies to the spike protein, because that what the vaccines are designed to elicit. If you are negative, talk to your doctor, especially if you have a history of any immune problems.

Had Moderna booster shot 24 hours ago. Can't lift my a right now and the head is heavy. Body aches clustered around spine/neck area. I was awake probably for less a couple of hours after I got home from the clinic. All I could eat was some cashews and two sports drinks and lots of water.

Thankfully there is no fever or breathing problems. Being under the weather times two is probably a good description for what I am going through.

DD, her boyfriend, and my next door neighbor all got their second shot of Pfizer. All 3 felt weak, neighbor had a temp of 102, all slept most of the following day. All felt fine by 48 hours post vaccination.

My second shot is Tuesday I am actually looking forward to a good nap no fever please. I had a mild sore arm with #1 shivering and a nice nap.

I have no idea how true it is but my BF a fellow nurse told be having a reaction is a good sign your immune system is working.

Had Moderna booster shot 24 hours ago. Can't lift my a right now and the head is heavy. Body aches clustered around spine/neck area. I was awake probably for less a couple of hours after I got home from the clinic. All I could eat was some cashews and two sports drinks and lots of water.

Thankfully there is no fever or breathing problems. Being under the weather times two is probably a good description for what I am going through.

Hopefully it will be short lived. I had the full gambit of bad symptoms with my second Moderna shot, but they went away in 12 hours like it had never happened. Well worth it even if you're in the minority that suffer a bit.

Hopefully it will be short lived. I had the full gambit of bad symptoms with my second Moderna shot, but they went away in 12 hours like it had never happened. Well worth it even if you're in the minority that suffer a bit.
Thanks. Luckily after the whole weekend of resting, all symptoms are gone. Glad to know my immune system is working.

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday morning. Didn't feel any side effects for about 12hrs.

Then at about bedtime is when the side effects hit. I had all the common side effects from around 9 pm - 3 am. 3 am was when my fever of about 100F broke.

As I type, the most of the side effects have subsided. Still some mild muscle aches and a tiny headache but fading away.

Coming up on 2 weeks full vacination (Thursday) Moderna.

The first 12-14 hrs after the 2nd shot where much the same reported here ...body aches , foggy head. Thought I was gonna work on a tile job I started .... not happening. Let alone TAXES ...lol.

Reached out to my sibs ... they all had the same reaction to the second shot. So the acorn does not fall far from the tree. Expect older sis ... she had 2 full days fever and headaches ... arrrg!!

The only reaction I had to my Pfizer shots was a few hours of soreness at the injection site, both times.

I'm wondering some of us who saw few or no symptoms after the shot are people who had already been exposed to Covid, and who had successfully built up immunity from that exposure without seeing any major symptoms.

For myself, I mysteriously developed a persistent cough in mid-December, which did not stop until late March. That type of problem is not normal for me, and the fact that it persisted for 3 months is also not normal for me.

There is credible evidence that Covid was in the US by December, so its possible this is what happened for me, and it would explain why the shots didn't cause any reaction.

The only reaction I had to my Pfizer shots was a few hours of soreness at the injection site, both times.

I'm wondering some of us who saw few or no symptoms after the shot are people who had already been exposed to Covid, and who had successfully built up immunity from that exposure without seeing any major symptoms.

For myself, I mysteriously developed a persistent cough in mid-December, which did not stop until late March. That type of problem is not normal for me, and the fact that it persisted for 3 months is also not normal for me.

There is credible evidence that Covid was in the US by December, so its possible this is what happened for me, and it would explain why the shots didn't cause any reaction.
No, people simply respond differently. DH and I have been together the whole past year. He had a much stronger response to the same vaccine than I did.

Supposedly older people have less strong immune systems and often don’t get a strong response to the vaccine. But they are still protected. DH is older than I, but he had a stronger response. So it’s simply highly variable between individuals.

My impression is the opposite - people who already had Covid-19 or had shot #1 of the 2-shot vaccines are more likely to get a stronger reaction. The immune system recognizes it and ramps up strongly. But it all varies widely by person.

But who knows, I am not an immunologist.

Anecdotal evidence -- my boss had moderate case of COVID and described his side effects after his vaccination as being like getting COVID again for 24 hours. Every person is different, however.

Anecdotal evidence -- my boss had moderate case of COVID and described his side effects after his vaccination as being like getting COVID again for 24 hours. Every person is different, however.

Our son has recently been in hospital with Covid and tomorrow is scheduled to have his first Covid vaccine dose. I’ll let folks know what side effects he gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom