Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

J&J vs Moderna/Pfizer
Old 04-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

J&J vs Moderna/Pfizer

I just scheduled my J&J vaccine for later this month. I've read a lot of differing opinions online regarding the three (efficacy, mRNA, number required, side effects, etc). I was actually expecting Moderna or Pfizer when I signed up, but my city currently has J&J so I was able to select that.

My question: it seems many here at ER.org are already vaccinated... did you have a preference (or a choice) for which vaccine you received? It sounds like the main thing is to just get vaccinated as soon as you can (I saw that they all pretty much eliminate covid hospitalizations/deaths).

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before!
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got in on our county's first lottery and I had no choice in vaccine, I got the Pfizer on Feb 11. I was thrilled to get whatever was offered!

DH couldn't get through on the county site and ended up finding a vaccine at a local children's hospital vaccine clinic in late March. His was also Pfizer.

Son#2 got his at a grocery store pharmacy and got Moderna soon after our state lowered the age to under 40.

Son#1 waited until the county set up another mass vax site and they announced it was the Johnson and Johnson. He got his last Sat.

The rest of us didn't know what we were getting ahead of time. We are just glad to have been vaccinated!

Now we are able to plan Mother's Day with my sister and her husband as they are also both vaccinated.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

I wasn't given a choice when I signed up. I got Pfizer, which was what I wanted, but I would have taken whatever they offered.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Old 04-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator

I was willing to take whatever they were giving at the place I managed to get an appointment, which turned out to be Pfizer. I experienced no adverse effects.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #5

I got Pfizer because that was what was offered at the nearest/soonest appointment I could find once I was eligible. I would have taken whatever was offered. They all offer more protection than I'd have bet on last summer when things were in early testing.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:00 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I just scheduled my J&J vaccine for later this month. I've read a lot of differing opinions online regarding the three (efficacy, mRNA, number required, side effects, etc). I was actually expecting Moderna or Pfizer when I signed up, but my city currently has J&J so I was able to select that.

My question: it seems many here at ER.org are already vaccinated... did you have a preference (or a choice) for which vaccine you received? It sounds like the main thing is to just get vaccinated as soon as you can (I saw that they all pretty much eliminate covid hospitalizations/deaths).

Apologies if this topic has been discussed before!
Personally I would've preferred the J&J vaccine because it is based off older technology that has been studied more. The efficacy doesn't matter much to me as all are 95% in preventing hospitalization and death which is what I'm most concerned about. It's questionable whether any of them actually prevent infection. But now I'm reading about quite a few adverse reactions to the J&J now that it's being rolled out more. So maybe I'm better off with the Pfizer vaccine that I got. But really, I'm not sure anybody knows which vaccine is best.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pfizer was my only choice unless I wanted to try my luck at a very hi-demand site offering Moderna, where getting an appointment might have meant waiting another month. JnJ was not offered at the time. From the very little I know, my state is using JnJ for people who would have a difficult time coming back for the 2nd shot - farm workers, those who spend weeks at sea, traveling circus performers, etc.

I would have taken any of the current vaccines offered since they all seem do a great job keeping people alive and out of the hospital in the event they get infected. Besides, I think it is likely in the next year or two we will need at least one booster shot, so if I really have the urge to get a Moderna vaccine, I will probably have another shot at it (pun intended).

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

Just take whatever is offered. I got Pfizer. On the day I was lucky enough to snag an appointment, that was the one being offered. In my county, at the time, there were 2 entities doing vaccinations at the time. One did Pfizer only. The other did both Pfizer and Moderna, but not on the same day.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I didn't give a rat's patootie...I just wanted to get vaccinated. I lucked out at a CVS pharmacy because of a no show. I got J&J mid March. Had a sore arm for fifteen minutes and that was it. No other side effects.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the Moderna vaccine because that was the first appointment I could get. The next day a J&J clinic came up and I would have been happy with it.

I had a bit of a preference against Pfizer because I saw one study that suggested it might not provide long term immunity as effectively in overweight people, but Pfizer isn't currently available in my county anyway. If that was the only option I still would have taken it because I think there is a good chance there will be booster shoots eventually.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
... my state is using JnJ for people who would have a difficult time coming back for the 2nd shot... traveling circus performers...
I *wondered* why I was able to schedule the J&J vaccine... mystery solved!
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
Old 04-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have not taken the shot/shots yet but need to get on the list since they opened it up for all now.

I have know a lot of people that have taken the shot from the three different companies and J&J people that I know (15) all got very sick within the 48 hours of the shot. Fever, ache, nausea and tired. It lasted about 36 hours then they started to feel better. The other I know a lot more that have taken those shots some got sick others never know they had the shot except for sore arm for a couple of days.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #13

I took the first appointment I could get back in late January.

I got Pfizer; there was no choice.

I would have been fine with any of the three.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:52 PM   #14
Administrator

Same for me. I didn’t ask, took what they were giving and didn’t give it a second thought.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #15

I'm a front line healthcare worker. I got my first shot in mid December when Pfizer was the only vaccine on the market.

I say get any vaccine you can get. The differences between them are not significant enough to be choosy. We need to vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #16

Had J&J yesterday (followed by a mild fever and an hour of the chills at night - all better now).

I preferred J&J, mostly for the one-and-done aspect, but would have done any of them. I signed up through the state and had a choice, but I also knew that my preferred mass vax location had J&J so it was a location/timing thing too.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 04-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #17

I picked J&J turning down / canceling a few appointments until I found it. I also made them show me the vial before drawing the shot. Would have walked out if it wasn't the 1&done. Absolutely no side effects. My risk factor was extremely low (0.009) and will be even lower in 14+ days
Old 04-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #18

I would have taken anything, but I was happy to get Pfizer. So did my Mom and Sis. My DH got Moderna earlier and we were thrilled with that too.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I had the J&J three days ago. I waited for it to be available in my area. Absolutely no side effects. No sore arm, nothing. Maybe I have a lousy immune system! Yikes!
Old 04-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Had Pfizer as that was the one available and if had a choice, that would have been my choice.