Neighbor just taken off by ambulance

O2Bfree

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our dear neighbor retired last Friday at age 62. Over the weekend we invited her over for a glass of wine to toast her freedom, but she said she maybe another time because she had a sore throat and runny nose, and had home-tested positive for Covid.

Well, today she called and said she was having trouble breathing and would we take her to pick up her dog at doggy daycare, then drop her off at the clinic. I wanted her to call 911 right away, but she was worried the daycare wouldn't let us pick up her dog! So off we went, got the dog, went to the clinic, but they wouldn't take her because they wouldn't take her insurance. So we ended up calling 911 after all, and off she's gone to the hospital. Fingers crossed she'll be back home soon. Her first week of retirement—what a tough break!

I hope she recovers quickly.

Isn't it so sad, that folks can get refused medical service at the will of the provider. Her insurance should have had an out of network option. What would happen if she was in aFib, Had a stroke or Heart Attack?

That is what is so nice about getting to Medicare age and getting a supplement (NOT a Dis-Advantage Plan). You will not get turned down by any provider that accepts Medicare, and where we live, we have not found one yet that does not.

Well, today she called and said she was having trouble breathing and would we take her to pick up her dog at doggy daycare, then drop her off at the clinic. I wanted her to call 911 right away, but she was worried the daycare wouldn't let us pick up her dog!

In any situation where there is trouble breathing, especially when there is already a known cause like Covid, 911 is the best immediate route. It means EMT's at your door in minutes providing triage vs. waiting rooms and other delays.

Hoping your friend recovers soon.

Thanks all for the responses. I've just been texting with her. She spent the night in ICU and is not sure when she'll be discharged. I'm guessing not today! So we'll be watching her pets for awhile—a Vizsla and a very old, sweet kitty.

In any situation where there is trouble breathing, especially when there is already a known cause like Covid, 911 is the best immediate route. It means EMT's at your door in minutes providing triage vs. waiting rooms and other delays.

That's just what I told her when she first called yesterday. She works in the medical industry as a mammo tech, and is generally a very cautious person, but didn't want to go that route right off. I know that calling 911 can be scary, as you are acknowledging something serious is happening. She was being quite stoic yesterday, but I did hear her mumble that she was scared. :(

Isn't it so sad, that folks can get refused medical service at the will of the provider. Her insurance should have had an out of network option. What would happen if she was in aFib, Had a stroke or Heart Attack?

That is what is so nice about getting to Medicare age and getting a supplement (NOT a Dis-Advantage Plan). You will not get turned down by any provider that accepts Medicare, and where we live, we have not found one yet that does not.

Right?! We'll be going the Medicare +supplement route for sure. Our neighbor is on an ACA plan, not sure which one. She just switched over from her plan with the hospital where she worked, and is a little worried how her coverage will pan out. Just what you don't want to be thinking about at a time like this!

Last edited:
The urgent care by me has a sign that basically says trouble breathing you need to be in the ER. . . not helping here.

The urgent care by me has a sign that basically says trouble breathing you need to be in the ER. . . not helping here.

Right, what can they do besides call an ambulance? ER drop off might not be a good choice either if they'll be sitting there for hours waiting their turn.

This probably isn't a problem for the person in the OP but a lot of people won't call an ambulance due to the cost. I know multiple people on Medicare(no supplement) who won't ever call an ambulance because it costs several hundred out of pocket just for them to show up at your door. Several hundred that most people living on just SS can't afford to pay.

Very sad and hope for her speedy recovery.
Curious, what is the ambulance charge if you have a medicare supplement plan?

Last edited:
Very sad and hope for her speedy recovery.
Curious, what is the ambulance charge if you have a medicare supplement plan?

Naught when selecting Plan G

Medicare may cover ambulance, but it depends on the situation. https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11021-Medicare-Coverage-of-Ambulance-Services.pdf

Medicare Part B will cover ambulance services when it’s deemed medically necessary, and when an alternate means of transportation could be hazardous to your health. For example, if you’re in shock, unresponsive, or bleeding heavily, Medicare will generally pay to transport you by ambulance. But if you’re dealing with an injured arm or leg that may be broken, that’s not reason enough to warrant an ambulance.
If the person could have gone to get care without the ambulance it most likely will not be covered.

My mum had a year long dispute with the fire dept billing for ambulance paramedics services before the paramedics and her insurance reached an agreement. They billed more than $1k, she is not mobile and there was no doubt they overbilled. In this case both the insurer and the emergency services acted badly.

Ambulance is still a hole in insurance coverage

Last edited:

Agreed - and hoping OP's neighbor receives the best care and recovers quickly.

When my life is at stake, it's money I can't afford not to pay.

When you are in the middle of a medical emergency there is no time to fiddle with expenses.

Medicare may cover ambulance, but it depends on the situation. https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11021-Medicare-Coverage-of-Ambulance-Services.pdf

If the person could have gone to get care without the ambulance it most likely will not be covered.

My mum had a year long dispute with the fire dept billing for ambulance paramedics services before the paramedics and her insurance reached an agreement. They billed more than $1k, she is not mobile and there was no doubt they overbilled. In this case both the insurer and the emergency services acted badly.

I went through that with my DF. They always ended up paying for the trips to the ER which were over 1k for about two miles. Eventually, he needed ambulance (not ambulette) transport for some of his medical care. (I had to jump through hoops to get that pre-approved but I did.)

One would argue that you would not get an ambulance unless you were in severe distress. If you did then you deserve to be billed.

Not being able to Breath is severe distress methinks.

One advantage of calling an ambulance is they know which hospital is really tied up. They told me they were taking me to one 1-2 miles farther because I'd get seen sooner and they felt it was needed as I was not in my best shape.

My neighbor had a heart attack in the ambulance an I feel certain that is why he survived though of course I have no proof it would not have worked out. If you can't have the heart attack in the hospital or cardiologist office the ambulance seems a good bet!

Last edited:
One would argue that you would not get an ambulance unless you were in severe distress. If you did then you deserve to be billed.

Not being able to Breath is severe distress methinks.

What matters is what Medicare decides, not what you, I, or the OP, think should be approved. I hope they would approve this and agree with braumeister’s comment, but can see where it could become a problem.

One advantage of calling an ambulance is they know which hospital is really tied up. They told me they were taking me to one 1-2 miles farther because I'd get seen sooner and they felt it was needed as I was not in my best shape.

My neighbor had a heart attack in the ambulance an I feel certain that is why he survived though of course I have no proof it would not have worked out. If you can't have the heart attack in the hospital or cardiologist office the ambulance seems a good bet!

Plus, an ambulance get usually get around traffic problems quicker than a private car, and they know how to avoid construction sites and other slowdowns. I've run into both enroute to the ER, and had to figure out alternate routes. And one time a hockey game had just let out downtown and big groups of people were crossing the streets, hootin' and hollerin' and taking their time. I wanted to shout at them to please hurry up but didn't want to risk enraging an intoxicated sports fan.

I get that sometimes the ambulance is the best option, however, I think some times the problem is that the person who is sick is waiting too long to seek help. In this case, just as an example, I bet the person had breathing problems the day before of even sooner and should have sought care sooner. Thus, there would not be a need for the ambulance.

I’m not criticizing the person involved in this post. It’s very common to hope it will get better on its own. It usually doesn’t. With the new world we live with COVID, treatment should not be put off.

I get that sometimes the ambulance is the best option, however, I think some times the problem is that the person who is sick is waiting too long to seek help. In this case, just as an example, I bet the person had breathing problems the day before of even sooner and should have sought care sooner. Thus, there would not be a need for the ambulance.

I’m not criticizing the person involved in this post. It’s very common to hope it will get better on its own. It usually doesn’t. With the new world we live with COVID, treatment should not be put off.

I'm not sure when her breathing trouble started, but she started feeling unwell last weekend and went downhill all week. So yeah, maybe she should have seen her doctor sooner. Might have also got the professional advice to call 911 immediately if she had any trouble breathing, instead of me suggesting it.

Neighbor discharged today

We just brought our neighbor home from the hospital. Turns out her trouble breathing was not the only problem. She's diabetic, and the doctor said that diabetes and covid together caused her blood sugar to shoot up, causing ketoacidosis. Her sugar got up to 400! She said she had been throwing up—a symptom of DKA—not really typical with covid, but not unheard of either, so she figured it was from covid. Quite a wild ride for her first week of retirement.

She seems fine now, glad to be back with home with her pets.

We just brought our neighbor home from the hospital. Turns out her trouble breathing was not the only problem. She's diabetic, and the doctor said that diabetes and covid together caused her blood sugar to shoot up, causing ketoacidosis. Her sugar got up to 400! She said she had been throwing up—a symptom of DKA—not really typical with covid, but not unheard of either, so she figured it was from covid. Quite a wild ride for her first week of retirement.

She seems fine now, glad to be back with home with her pets.

Glad to hear. You’re a good neighbor to have.

Glad to hear. You’re a good neighbor to have.

Well, considering that she once took one of our cats to the vet while we were out of town, and ended up having to have kitty put to sleep for us, I'd say we still have some catching up to do!

Back
Top Bottom