Not So Fast-Here We Go Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, wasn't it San Antonio on 60 Minutes last weekend? I think it was mentioned that it was the 7th largest city in the USA, which very much took me by surprise.

I knew that TX had 3 cities in the top 10 largest for US. I didn’t realize that San Antonio was now larger than Dallas, nor that Austin and Fort Worth were in the next three.

I think it’s not uncommon to lump Dallas and Fort Worth together when comparing metropolitan areas.

Last edited:
I knew that TX had 3 cities in the top 10 largest for US. I didn’t realize that San Antonio was now larger than Dallas, nor that Austin and Fort Worth were in the next three.

I think it’s not uncommon to lump Dallas and Fort Worth together when comparing metropolitan areas.

IIRC Texas has 5 of the largest 17 Cities in the USA. And El Paso is not that far away from being up there.

Half of the people on the Treasure Coast do not wear masks and the infection rate is increasing (gasp - how could that happen?). Florida opened up about 2 weeks too early. You can track the increasing rate of infection up the coast from Miami on the Covid dashboard broken down by county and age group.

I just got back from a trip to the mall with my daughter in central Florida. About 90% of the stores were open, and about 60% of the restaurants in the food court were open. There were many people out and about, I would estimate a bit more than half the normal amount. A small number of stores required masks to enter, but most did not, some "strongly encouraged" masks, but by my observations most people were not wearing masks. Neither myself nor my daughter wore a mask.

In my opinion it's time to open up and get rid of restrictions. I know my view is not popular on this board, but I hope I am allowed to express it without being attacked for not caring about anyone else or being "anti-science." Everyone is entitled to their view, but I think some people need to stop judging others for having a different view.

Last edited:
I don't know the actual numbers, but when we venture out to the stores, it seems like all the old women wear masks; only about half the old men do. Evidently they don't care about anybody, including themselves.

Half of the people on the Treasure Coast do not wear masks and the infection rate is increasing (gasp - how could that happen?). Florida opened up about 2 weeks too early. You can track the increasing rate of infection up the coast from Miami on the Covid dashboard broken down by county and age group.

UPDATE: Thursday June 12 the record high of a daily cases in Florida was 1,698. The next day, Friday June 13, that record was surpassed to 1,902 cases in one day.

There have been an average of 1,098 cases/day since May 28. More venues are now open and more people are coming to Florida from out of state for "fun in the sun".

The 4th of July numbers are going to be interesting.
Update: the 3rd most populous state is now up to 8th most cases & 27th highest deaths per population. Keep up the relatively good work.

I don't know the actual numbers, but when we venture out to the stores, it seems like all the old women wear masks; only about half the old men do. Evidently they don't care about anybody, including themselves.
It's one aspect of maleness that leads to earlier deaths consistently.

I refuse to go into a retail establishment where the employees are not wearing masks and I tell the management about that. If they want my money they must enforce the mask rule. Plus our county requires everyone to wear a mask and if they do not you are suppose to report them. But even if your county/state does not require masks if a business looses enough customers they will start making employees wear masks. That is how we got the no smoking rule passed --people refused to go places that allowed smoking.
I have the opposite view...if a retail establishment requires a mask to enter, I do not enter.

MOD NOTE:
One thing has been clear: whenever a thread gets into the "Masks are good" vs "Masks are bad" area, the thread has a very short life thereafter. Just something to be aware of.

There were many people out and about, I would estimate a bit more than half the normal amount.
If you're right, that's not enough to sustain a mall long term. The most likely scenario then appears to be that opening up is going to increase the spread of the virus with the economy remaining hobbled. Perhaps the worst of both worlds. The apparent lack of adherence to even the mildest of precautions confirms my belief - and I'm certainly not alone - that it's too dangerous to abandon my own social distancing standards and so they will remain in place for the foreseeable future. My husband and I are still enjoying our lives and hope others can as well.

Last edited:
If you're right, that's not enough to sustain a mall long term. The most likely scenario then appears to be that opening up is going to increase the spread of the virus with the economy remaining hobbled. Perhaps the worst of both worlds. The apparent lack of adherence to even the mildest of precautions confirms my belief - and I'm certainly not alone - that it's too dangerous to abandon my own social distancing standards and so they will remain in place for the foreseeable future. My husband and I are still enjoying our lives and hope others can as well.
+1. I really worry that if this virus sticks around because of too lax suppression measures, many people will not be willing to participate in the economy as much as before. It'll be really bad for malls (struggling for a long time as it is), restaurants (with small margins, they are very susceptible to even small occupancy drops), movie theaters, airlines, many types of vacation...

From yesterday's AZ Central daily COVID watch:

"Arizona's number of identified COVID-19 cases has reached 32,918 (up 1,654 from Thursday), with 1,144 known deaths (up 17 from Thursday).

This was the most new cases ever reported in Arizona in a single day. Inpatient hospitalizations for patients with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 also hit its highest number to date, with 1,336."

Apart from the number of reported cases continuing to rise, of perhaps greater concern is the increase of inpatient hospitalizations.

Our state's reopening was predicated on individuals and businesses assuming responsibility for following CDC guidelines. We've witnessed far too much behavior that runs contrary to those guidelines.

The data becomes much more meaningful when you break it out by county and hospitalization for COVID disease only. The Navajo Nation has been hit hard and affects our total state numbers. It's a bit like pulling out the NYC numbers from the state of New York.
We are also a state full to the brim with retirement communities, care homes, and other congregate areas of highly susceptible peoples. AZ has been the butt of "old people" jokes for years.
Maricopa County is the most densely populated county in AZ (4.3 million) and has had 528 Covid deaths, 11% of hospital admissions and only 3% of ICU admissions.
I continue to social distance and mask if I'm forced to be indoors grocery shopping or such, but I'm not seeing what the news is hyping.
Just 5 days ago the Az Health Dept changed how they count the number of beds!

+1. I really worry that if this virus sticks around because of too lax suppression measures, many people will not be willing to participate in the economy as much as before. It'll be really bad for malls (struggling for a long time as it is), restaurants (with small margins, they are very susceptible to even small occupancy drops), movie theaters, airlines, many types of vacation...

Malls are already going bust. Mall owner CBL & Associates is in the process of defaulting now. I would not think it is going to make much difference.

The second wave has hit here. The number of new cases in the county has increased by more than 20% in the last four days. Covid-19 hospitalizations have increased by 64% in the last six days. Starting to look really ugly really quickly.

Update with today's numbers: The daily count of new cases here continues to set records with the the largest number of new cases ever recorded. The percentage of positive tests is running between 10 and 11 percent, almost triple what the positives were in May. Total cases have now increased by 27% in the last five days. Hospitalizations are up over 75% in the past week.

Beginning to look like a runaway train and it appears there is neither the will or the means to slow it down. DW and I are going back into hunker mode and will no longer be leaving the house except for curbside pick up of groceries.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
The data becomes much more meaningful when you break it out by county and hospitalization for COVID disease only. The Navajo Nation has been hit hard and affects our total state numbers. It's a bit like pulling out the NYC numbers from the state of New York.
We are also a state full to the brim with retirement communities, care homes, and other congregate areas of highly susceptible peoples. AZ has been the butt of "old people" jokes for years.
Maricopa County is the most densely populated county in AZ (4.3 million) and has had 528 Covid deaths, 11% of hospital admissions and only 3% of ICU admissions.
I continue to social distance and mask if I'm forced to be indoors grocery shopping or such, but I'm not seeing what the news is hyping.
Just 5 days ago the Az Health Dept changed how they count the number of beds!

Thank you for providing some context.

Update with today's numbers: The daily count of new cases here continues to set records with the the largest number of new cases ever recorded. The percentage of positive tests is running between 10 and 11 percent, almost triple what the positives were in May. Total cases have now increased by 27% in the last five days. Hospitalizations are up over 75% in the past week.

Beginning to look like a runaway train and it appears there is neither the will or the means to slow it down. DW and I are going back into hunker mode and will no longer be leaving the house except for curbside pick up of groceries.
How awful and disheartening. :( I have "known" you on the forum so long that I know you wouldn't over-react, which makes the gravity of the situation even more apparent to me. My best wishes to you, your family and friends, and all others in your area.

Hunkering down during this pandemic has been no piece of cake, as most of us are well aware. I have enough food and TP to do that for a while, but I wonder if I could do that again and stay sane. I am hoping that I don't have to find out.

New Orleans has a tourist economy, and we are the next state over from yours, so this doesn't bode well for our situation either. So far the spikes we have had in our Parish (=County), have been on days when results from triple the usual number of tests were reported, or some such thing. But I don't know how long our relatively good situation will last.

Frank just got to work for the first time since the pandemic. He works part time occasionally at a bar down in the French Quarter that just re-opened yesterday. The bar owner used the lockdown time to have the entire bar professionally cleaned and sterilized, which involved huge quantities of bleach and who knows what else. Then massive renovations were done so it is almost like new.

At the door of the bar, customers have to sign in on a Contact List, including personal information such as name, address, phone number, driver's license number (I think?) and a whole lot more, by order of the Mayor. I would imagine that might drive off some customers. With that, plus a maximum of I think 25% occupancy, I don't think they'll be making much money any time soon. I asked if he'd get paid and he isn't sure if there is any money for that yet but going back to work has lifted his spirits, money or not.

Was going to try playing Pickleball indoors this week again, but with the cases hitting record levels in FLA and especially our county, I am going to hold off for awhile longer.

Still playing outdoors which has some exposure on some level, especially knowing certain players are not taking any precautions.

Not good news at all. We’re seeing an increase in cases, hospitalizations and fatalities here in Fl as well, and now not just South Fl.

Last edited:
Not good news at all. We’re seeing an increase in cases, hospitalizations and fatalities here in Fl as well, and now not just South Fl.

Here in Southwest Florida we are having a big spike . I think they opened bars too soon .We will go back to hunkering down until cases drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Midpack said:
I’m afraid the state I live in is headed for the same, too many citizens have decided they’re invincible again. Everyone is an expert these days, except experts...

+1

There is already talk of another shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom