Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the first day NY is following the CDC policy. Almost everyone in the stores are still wearing coverings. I feel like the odd man out. Positivity is 0.9%.

I assume many of the people still wearing masks have not been fully vaccinated. According to the CDC, they should continue wearing them.

For those who have been fully vaccinated and were wearing masks anyway, they are free to do so but they are not following the science per the CDC guidelines.

Today is the first day NY is following the CDC policy. Almost everyone in the stores are still wearing coverings. I feel like the odd man out. Positivity is 0.9%.

I think you are seeing that is because:

1) People seem to have been paying attention and get, because of its newness on the planet, that the science on SARS-CoV-2 is not settled, but is evolving. And who knows what the next change in will be? People have witnessed enough sickness and death that they are not willing to chance it quite yet. It's like people are hedging their bets until they are sure the CDC won't be changing their advice again.

2) And given #1, many people appear to have absorbed the meaning and intention of the coronavirus transmission protocols quite well, as opposed to just doing what is recommended at any one time by the authorities. So, for instance, even though my state adopted the CDC recommendations immediately, I witnessed that most people (this week) are still wearing a mask inside crowded stores, but almost no one is wearing a mask outside in any situation.

I assume many of the people still wearing masks have not been fully vaccinated. According to the CDC, they should continue wearing them.

For those who have been fully vaccinated and were wearing masks anyway, they are free to do so but they are not following the science per the CDC guidelines.

Unless they are among those folks who have been vaccinated but are immunocompromised. For those people there is a concern that that vaccine may not have been effective. My DH is fully vaccinated but has an autoimmune disease. The CDC and DH's doctor says he should continue to wear a mask when inside crowded places. I will also continue to wear a mask for his benefit. There are also some of us continuing to wear masks to avoid other viruses like colds and flu. I have really liked not even having a cold the last 18 months.

That is the strange thing, 43% are fully vaccinated and 51% are at one dose, yet maybe 10% ditched the mask.

That is the strange thing, 43% are fully vaccinated and 51% are at one dose, yet maybe 10% ditched the mask.

Yet in our area we have: 33% fully vaccinated (adults), 52% have had one dose and from my guess...85% aren't using masks. It's a very regional (and sadly, political) thing.

As of today May 25, over 50% of Americans are now vaccinated with at least one dose.
50%+ of the population of the population over 18 is fully vaccinated.
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:
Awesome!!!

I think that’s adult Americans? Yes.

Case numbers keep dropping. It appears to be linear with a gentle slope, but we keep making progress!

Last edited:
Awesome!!!

I think that’s adult Americans? Yes.

Case numbers keep dropping. It appears to be linear with a gentle slope, but we keep making progress!

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

This is the vaccine tracker I look to. I believe that the percentages are for the entire population, not just adults. For Connecticut at least, the percentage is of total population when I compare the 1st dose totals reported by the state against state population. I assume the national and other state figures are the same methodology.

Here in Connecticut 62% of the whole population has received at least one dose, and 51.8% are completely vaccinated. We are seeing strong initial uptake among the newly eligible age 12-15 cohort, so things are looking good.

The specific language announced today was “50% of American Adults fully vaccinated.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

This is the vaccine tracker I look to. I believe that the percentages are for the entire population, not just adults. For Connecticut at least, the percentage is of total population when I compare the 1st dose totals reported by the state against state population. I assume the national and other state figures are the same methodology.

Here in Connecticut 62% of the whole population has received at least one dose, and 51.8% are completely vaccinated. We are seeing strong initial uptake among the newly eligible age 12-15 cohort, so things are looking good.

That is the tracker I use as well to look at how the world is doing, and it definitely is a simple calculation looking at % of the entire population of countries.

I do like to look at other trackers showing %’s of the population by age groups.

I read an interesting article, which I believe is behind a paywall, however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-rates-unvaccinated-people/

The gist of the article is that while infections and hospitalization in the US are dropping as the number of people vaccinated increases, in some parts of the country (e.g. Washington state), infection rates, hospitalization rates, and death rates among the unvaccinated, are as high as they were during the January surge across the entire population.

"The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot."

Went to a bike shop yesterday. Sign on the door said masks are required except for vaccinated customers. We went in maskless and were the only people in there without masks. I felt out of place - almost wish I would have worn my mask

Went to a bike shop yesterday. Sign on the door said masks are required except for vaccinated customers. We went in maskless and were the only people in there without masks. I felt out of place - almost wish I would have worn my mask

Where there a lot of young people in the store?

Is there a graph that shows the vaccinated vs unvaccinated by age group?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-rates-unvaccinated-people/

The gist of the article is that while infections and hospitalization in the US are dropping as the number of people vaccinated increases, in some parts of the country (e.g. Washington state), infection rates, hospitalization rates, and death rates among the unvaccinated, are as high as they were during the January surge across the entire population.

"The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot."

I'd like to infection, hospitalization rates, and death rates of unvaccinated vs Vaccinated. I have a conspiracy theorist friend and saw two emails saying there is no virus. I'd like to send him something back, other than the questions I did.

All his emails go to my trash folder, very occasionally I'll look at them, even less often I respond.

That was a really good article thanks! I had no trouble accessing it.
Unvaccinated young adults in Maryland have the same infection rate as they had in the January surge, according to a state analysis. Even worse, the risk of hospitalization among the infected has more than doubled, possibly because of widespread coronavirus variants, said Ted Delbridge, executive director of the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems.

Washington state has been publicizing the extreme threat of hospitalization for unvaccinated people. It said unvaccinated seniors are 11 times as likely to get hospitalized than seniors who got the shot. For unvaccinated people age 45 to 64, the chance of covid-19 hospitalization is 18 times higher.

So basically, things are not getting better for unvaccinated people. Even though a lot of people are vaccinated, it’s not yet enough to protect those unvaccinated. Probably due to social grouping. Ultimately these unvaccinated folks are going to have to wake up and (maybe not be able to) smell the covid!

Last edited:

The deal in WA state is simply this, IMHO. We were in the bottom 20% of the infection rate for quite some time in 2020 and early 2021. As a result, we have less herd immunity in people who are unvaccinated but were previously infected with corona virus. So, today we are paying the price for our earlier success.

The deal in WA state is simply this, IMHO. We were in the bottom 20% of the infection rate for quite some time in 2020 and early 2021. As a result, we have less herd immunity in people who are unvaccinated but were previously infected with corona virus. So, today we are paying the price for our earlier success.

Paying that price in many places that had months of low transmission or early success, amazingly seems to occur when restrictions are lifted.

The newer far more transmissible variants I’m sure are playing a major role.

I am involved in community band, and DH is involved in community band and community theater. One of the local theaters is having their first musical show next month. Everyone involved is fully vaccinated.

I went to two band rehearsals in the last week. I had a flute player's mask, and offered to wear it if anyone was unvaccinated. I heard crickets. Only a few came in masked at all. Given the demographics of community bands (often older, retired), it does not surprise me that everyone is vaccinated. Our chairs were spread out, rehearsal was short, doors and windows open as possible.

I'm not 100% sure about doing this, but I'm 100% sure I don't want to stay home all the time any more.

Got called for Jury Duty. Voir Dire was yesterday for our group (they split the jury group into 3 segments in order to keep the number of people in the room to a smaller number for safety). Have to go back tomorrow morning for the final selection for the trial.

I was very uncomfortable even though masked and vaccinated, and jurors were spread throughout the room in an attempt to distance somewhat. The difficult part? There were ~25 people in the room, together for nearly 4 hours... and that's the most people and longest exposure in a closed indoor environment I've experienced since the pandemic began.

Obviously, if I'm selected I'll serve, but I hope I'm never in the box (so to speak) or the lawyers excuse me during final selection. It's definitely difficult letting someone else decide if the conditions are "safe enough", knowing that I'm in the "still being careful" category and without a special exemption, a gathering of a group this large, in a single room, for these long periods of time, is not recommended according to current State law.

PS. On the other hand, I'm glad my summons was for this week. If it had been for after June 15th, the State's mask mandates are expected to be gone, and capacity requirements essentially eliminated....both of which, from my perspective will constitute higher risk (and would be far more uncomfortable than the current situation).

I'd like to infection, hospitalization rates, and death rates of unvaccinated vs Vaccinated. I have a conspiracy theorist friend and saw two emails saying there is no virus. I'd like to send him something back, other than the questions I did.

All his emails go to my trash folder, very occasionally I'll look at them, even less often I respond.

One thing I find compelling is just displaying how many deaths there have been regardless of cause. This eliminates doubters saying that non-COVID deaths are being mischaracterized. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to tell that something was afoot in 2020/21: (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm)

Attachments

• WeeklyExcessDeaths-2.jpg
    WeeklyExcessDeaths-2.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom