Post Vaccination Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an interesting article, which I believe is behind a paywall, however.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-rates-unvaccinated-people/

The gist of the article is that while infections and hospitalization in the US are dropping as the number of people vaccinated increases, in some parts of the country (e.g. Washington state), infection rates, hospitalization rates, and death rates among the unvaccinated, are as high as they were during the January surge across the entire population.

"The country’s declining covid-19 case rates present an unrealistically optimistic perspective for half of the nation — the half that is still not vaccinated.

As more people receive vaccines, covid-19 cases are occurring mostly in the increasingly narrow slice of the unprotected population. So The Washington Post adjusted its case, death and hospitalization rates to account for that — and found that in some places, the virus continues to rage among those who haven’t received a shot."

Thanks for posting this. Comparing the vaccinated group to the unvaccinated group is something I've been hoping to see reported in order to (hopefully) demonstrate the effectiveness of the vaccines, and encourage those who haven't been vaccinated to do so.

That article is striking because I hadn’t thought about the social grouping trends among vaccinated and unvaccinated people and how that would continue spread.

One thing I find compelling is just displaying how many deaths there have been regardless of cause. This eliminates doubters saying that non-COVID deaths are being mischaracterized. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to tell that something was afoot in 2020/21: (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm)

Also interesting is that the most recent data shows deaths well below the line. Why? It will be interesting to see how this looks in another 3-6 months.

All the workers (maybe 6) and a couple of customers were young and 1 old guy customer.

I imagine the workers are instructed to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
Yes, I think so too that the workers are probably told to mask up...

I'll continue to wear a mask when grocery shopping since the staff still has to. Most in my area still do.

We were so thankful for all the essential workers this past year, it seems rude to me, not to show some solidarity since they are all still wearing them for full shifts.

Also interesting is that the most recent data shows deaths well below the line. Why? It will be interesting to see how this looks in another 3-6 months.

It takes a couple of months for death data to be reported and filter all the way up to the CDC, so the most recent few bars will get larger as more data is received and tabulated.

I'll continue to wear a mask when grocery shopping since the staff still has to. Most in my area still do.

We were so thankful for all the essential workers this past year, it seems rude to me, not to show some solidarity since they are all still wearing them for full shifts.

I would too, but in my state the mask mandate is over and most store employees no longer wear them. Some do, but it's a personal choice.

Personally, I am very happy to go shopping without a mask. I've shown my appreciation all year by giving a lot of very generous tips when someone helped me or answered a question, and I always make it a point to thank them profusely for their assistance.

The one thing I found odd was yesterday when I went to the post office to mail a package. There was a big sign on the door sternly warning that nobody would be allowed in the lobby without wearing a mask, but the one clerk on duty had no mask on.

Got called for Jury Duty. Voir Dire was yesterday for our group (they split the jury group into 3 segments in order to keep the number of people in the room to a smaller number for safety). Have to go back tomorrow morning for the final selection for the trial.

I was very uncomfortable even though masked and vaccinated, and jurors were spread throughout the room in an attempt to distance somewhat. The difficult part? There were ~25 people in the room, together for nearly 4 hours... and that's the most people and longest exposure in a closed indoor environment I've experienced since the pandemic began.

Obviously, if I'm selected I'll serve, but I hope I'm never in the box (so to speak) or the lawyers excuse me during final selection. It's definitely difficult letting someone else decide if the conditions are "safe enough", knowing that I'm in the "still being careful" category and without a special exemption, a gathering of a group this large, in a single room, for these long periods of time, is not recommended according to current State law.

PS. On the other hand, I'm glad my summons was for this week. If it had been for after June 15th, the State's mask mandates are expected to be gone, and capacity requirements essentially eliminated....both of which, from my perspective will constitute higher risk (and would be far more uncomfortable than the current situation).

I was called for jury duty last Monday, had 52 people in the room for instructions and swearing in. The clerk said, we have two judges, one has had all his cases plead, and I will go check on the other cases. He came back with the judge and he to had his cases plead out. So it was all over in 40 minutes. I have had my vaccine, so I was comfortable. As they say, driving the car to the courthouse is probably a bigger risk than getting Covid once you are vaccinated. But then I'm in Florida.:LOL:
Take that however you want.:confused:

So it was all over in 40 minutes. I have had my vaccine, so I was comfortable. As they say, driving the car to the courthouse is probably a bigger risk than getting Covid once you are vaccinated. But then I'm in Florida.:LOL:
Take that however you want.:confused:

Time2, I'm jealous of your good fortune at the courthouse (may I have as good luck tomorrow :angel:). My good manners prevent me from making a comment about older and/or visiting drivers in the Sunshine State, but I got a chuckle about your comment. (I grew up in Miami/Hollywood, so I learned to drive in FL! :LOL:).

Due to my hay fever I am doing "inverse masking" this week - masked outside, but taking masks off inside. Pretty much every place I frequent no longer requires masks. At worst some have signs "please wear a mask if you are not vaccinated". My observation was about half the clients in these places are no longer wearing masks.The only place we were at still requiring masks was at the airport to pick up a DS visiting from overseas.

At the local CVS they have a sign in the store showing how many vaccine doses are available. Thus past Tuesday afternoon around noon they had over 100. Walk-ins welcome, but evidently no rush.

Edit: Cathy63 beat me to it.

Unfortunately, that is explained in the text below the graph as basically "recent data are not complete yet":

Data are incomplete because of the lag in time between when the death occurred and when the death certificate is completed, submitted to NCHS and processed for reporting purposes. This delay can range from 1 week to 8 weeks or more, depending on the jurisdiction and cause of death.

The one thing I found odd was yesterday when I went to the post office to mail a package. There was a big sign on the door sternly warning that nobody would be allowed in the lobby without wearing a mask, but the one clerk on duty had no mask on.

That is the same in our local post office but the clerks sit behind a counter with counter to ceiling plexiglass sheeting and a small window through which business is conducted.

June 21 is the scheduled date for all restrictions to be lifted here but there are surges of infections of the latest variant first seen in India in many parts of the country. If the infections start resulting in increasing hospitalization then that may be delayed. Countrywide there are currently less than 1,000 in hospital with Covid, the lowest since last summer.

This is somewhat interesting. I would think that all the USPS offices would have the same rules. Ours has no signs and when I went to check to PO box, I didn't see anyone wearing a mask. Of course, it *is* the USPS so there many not be rhyme or reason to anything they do. :LOL:

Masks continue to disappear in retail stores in MD. Safeway still had over half wearing, and all employees I think. But Home Depot no longer has a mask sign on the door and only maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Same at the local liquor store and local furniture store. At all 3 of the latter some employees were masked and some not.

Masks continue to disappear in retail stores in MD. Safeway still had over half wearing, and all employees I think. But Home Depot no longer has a mask sign on the door and only maybe 1/3 were wearing masks. Same at the local liquor store and local furniture store. At all 3 of the latter some employees were masked and some not.

Here in Washington we are well over 450 days into our declared Emergency due to Covid. One wonders when dealing with Covid becomes less of an emergency and more a part of our daily lives like wearing seat-belts. :confused: Have any other states actually formally ended their state of Emergency? Or never had one?

Yes, Texas ended their state of emergency in March.

Well, I take that back, apparently Abbott extended the state of emergency due to COVID-19 on March 6, 2021, but dropped all state-mandated COVID-19 precautions at the same time. :facepalm:

So I’m not sure of the point.

Last edited:
Yes, Texas ended their state of emergency in March.

Well, I take that back, apparently Abbott extended the state of emergency due to COVID-19 on March 6, 2021, but dropped all state-mandated COVID-19 precautions at the same time. :facepalm:

So I’m not sure of the point.

I would guess that government mandates on the population are only a part of the emergency declaration. Think about natural disasters - emergency declarations frequently allow waivers of bureaucratic regulations, flexibility in spending (e.g., use of rainy day funds), use of the National Guard (e.g., to man vax centers), drawing Federal funds, waivers of 180-day school years, etc.

The wife and I are the space cadet couple since we not only wear masks but face shields too. We are probably the only couple w/ mask let alone face shield. We are in no rush to get away from using them since folks tent to avoid us which is a good thing. When grocery shopping we also wear gloves and just buy meats and veggies, everything else is curbside.

The wife and I are the space cadet couple since we not only wear masks but face shields too. We are probably the only couple w/ mask let alone face shield. We are in no rush to get away from using them since folks tent to avoid us which is a good thing. [...]

Exactly! They are probably just trying to be polite. Our mask mandates and other coronavirus restrictions are gone, and suddenly almost nobody is wearing a mask any more (including us). Well, maybe 10% wear them. But anyway, when I see somebody with a mask on, I try to keep my distance in order to be as considerate as I can. It's not meant as an insult, but just trying to practice good manners.

Our governor didn't lift the state of emergency either, but he stated (or at least heavily implied?) that this was so that the federal money wouldn't get shut down. Also he said that if things got worse then the state of emergency would allow him to put the mandates back in place quickly.

when I see somebody with a mask on, I try to keep my distance in order to be as considerate as I can. It's not meant as an insult, but just trying to practice good manners.

Yes, I still see people walking alone in my neighborhood, at least a block or two from any other person, and wearing a mask. It's obviously something that makes them feel more comfortable, and definitely not anything to be derisive about.

Time2, I'm jealous of your good fortune at the courthouse (may I have as good luck tomorrow :angel:). My good manners prevent me from making a comment about older and/or visiting drivers in the Sunshine State, but I got a chuckle about your comment. (I grew up in Miami/Hollywood, so I learned to drive in FL! :LOL:).

I was mixed about it, I have been on two juries before and both were interesting cases, so I kinda did want to serve, but also didn't.
I'm 66 so ya, older Florida driver, but the jokes are still funny. I'm the one running around with my turn signal still on. OK, not anymore, I installed a beeper on the blinker so I can hear it, the clicker just wasn't loud enough.

Our local county health department has new figures out. While the infection rate is still higher than they would like, about the same as September 2020, 97% of the new infections are among the unvaccinated. This group includes those who have conditions that prevent them from being safely vaccinated, or immune systems that don't react strongly enough to the vaccine. But, the great majority in the group simply have chosen not to get the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom