There are some positives to the pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Others above probably already said this, but the animal shelters are nearly empty.

This is good ... so far. I'm afraid that once people start returning to regular activities that many of these folks will send the pets back to the shelters. I sure hope not.

More people home and have time/energy to take care of a pet. I have to wonder what will happen with them (the pets) when this is all over.

Because people are stuck at home, often with kids, and they want pets. I have two coworkers who have adopted dogs. There have been articles about empty pet shelters due to the record level of adoptions.

This is good ... so far. I'm afraid that once people start returning to regular activities that many of these folks will send the pets back to the shelters. I sure hope not.
I don't think so. We always get our pets from the shelter. It takes a while to settle in a new dog- especially an adult. We always like to get them when we'll all be around a lot. Which usually means summers or holidays when we're not on vacation.

Over the years/decades how many times have we read about people buying rabbits for their kids at Easter?

Post Easter most/many are abandoned.

I fear this is no different.

Well, that's good news about the dogs getting adopted. Even if some of them get returned to the shelter later, the rest will have found homes.

I laughed at the line about "dogs are happy, cats are not."

As for the original question, I'm enjoying the fact that avoiding people is the socially responsible thing to do. It's refreshing to feel that indulging my introversion is doing the right thing.

Well, that's good news about the dogs getting adopted. Even if some of them get returned to the shelter later, the rest will have found homes.

I laughed at the line about "dogs are happy, cats are not."

As for the original question, I'm enjoying the fact that avoiding people is the socially responsible thing to do. It's refreshing to feel that indulging my introversion is doing the right thing.

Yep. I’m secretly loving it too. The garden has never looked better. Our neighbors had all the kids at home (high school and college) so they did their own mulch after we Kent a wheelbarrow and a pitchfork. In return, they gave us their leftover mulch.

Our house is getting clean and decluttered. I discovered prime video. DS is working from home in the morning, then hosting live-streaming video games daily. He’s getting more followers due to the regularity of his streams.

Here is a hypothesis... with so many employees working from home.... if it works well some companies may question why they bother to own or lease so much expensive office space and may downsize their space dramatically to a much smaller office, allowing employees to work from home and having occasional team meetings as needed by renting space at a conference center near to corporate headquarters. Lower costs for the employer and happier employees... not so good for lessors though.

Last edited:
^ I see that also. Even thou it is a great idea and a money saver for companies I'm not sure if there is a negative to that way of doing business.

I do beleive thou we will be doing many things different going forward.

My former employer was already doing a lot of hotelling when I retired 8 years ago.... only partners, managing directors and senior managers had offices and the rest reserved a cubicle when they were in the office but in reality spent most of their time at client offices or worked from home.

Isn't that the truth??!! It's never felt so virtuous to be an introvert.

Airlines are discussing not booking the middle seats once the economy begins to reopen and travel ramps up. That would make flying in coach much more comfortable. That could be a real big positive for post pandemic life.

Airlines are discussing not booking the middle seats once the economy begins to reopen and travel ramps up. That would make flying in coach much more comfortable. That could be a real big positive for post pandemic life.

Alaska Air is already doing that.
If you have to travel—now through May 31, 2020—we are blocking off all middle seats on large aircraft and aisle seats on smaller aircraft.

• If you’re a family or large group who wants to sit together, feel free to make the request with reservations or at the airport.
• At the airport, if you’re uncomfortable with the distance between you and others, please speak with a customer service agent about your options.

This isn't a viable business model for the airlines unless we are covering a significant portion of their fixed costs in other ways.

Personally, I am not sure what the threshold will be before I am ready to venture into an airport and get on a commercial airliner again. I'll be honest and say there will be some anxiety involved for me on the first time back.

This isn't a viable business model for the airlines unless we are covering a significant portion of their fixed costs in other ways.

Personally, I am not sure what the threshold will be before I am ready to venture into an airport and get on a commercial airliner again. I'll be honest and say there will be some anxiety involved for me on the first time back.

Probably not at the pre-pandemic ticket pricing. At some point they will need to adjust prices to reflect actual costs. And if demand drops they will have to reduce their fleet size to match demand. And reduce fixed overhead in other areas as well.

Same with restaurants. If they can only seat people at half the tables at some point they will have to raise prices. Or lower rent, or some combination of both.

We got clippers and DW is watching YouTube to give me a do over. That will save some bucks. Not much left up there to worry about anyway.

Not keen on the title of the topic to start. Just sayin.
Optimism is the ability to see good in any situation, no matter how grim. Many of the posts have cheered me up. That's worth something. I think quarantine is working and worth some sacrifice. Isn't it valuable to make it easier to bear?

We are bringing out old board games and playing them .We also go for a drive twice a week . Otherwise we are safe , have plenty to eat and I have a lot of books and some projects to do .It's not all bad !

I live in the country. Nobody walks dogs, they just run around outside.
I live in the country, too. I walk my dog on a leash, the neighbors let their dogs run loose and poop in my yard. No dog poops in their own yard if given a choice. :cool:

No dog poops in their own yard if given a choice. :cool:

How true....when I bought my then eight week old newly acquired Border Collie home, (we lived on just over half an acre, no fences), I walked him around the property and showed him the perimeters.

Almost from then on he'd cross over to the neighbor's property to go. (They had a dog too, but I'd watch mine, from our window. deliberately do it and I'd go and clean it up.)

I see remote working becoming more prevalent. I suspect that management will see an increase in productivity from remote workers during this pandemic, and they will allow more of it going forward. Lots of positives to working from home if done effectively.

I see remote working becoming more prevalent. I suspect that management will see an increase in productivity from remote workers during this pandemic, and they will allow more of it going forward. Lots of positives to working from home if done effectively.

I see many positives for the company and for the worker staying at home.

What is your thoughts of this style of stay at home work, effect the economy and over all growth of our country?

Would there be less money spent by companies and the people working remote? More money spent each day is what drives growth and keeps doors open for business. Will this have any effect on that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom