Tuff times ahead ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I remember reading that during the shortages of WWII, sales of women's lipstick exploded (remember all that bright red lipstick?). The reason given was that it was one small indulgence that kept women sane during a time when nearly everything else was rationed or could not be bought. Good psychology, I think: small indulgences can go a long way in "tuff" times.

Over 10 years of record profit and DAL and AA didn't have a 6 month cash reserve and had to go on welfare. I blame the Starbucks and Avocado toast habit. The story that people can't afford a home because they spend too much on designer coffee is a myth.

I see the lines as a good thing economy wise - People are out working and aren't home making their own coffee. I see the lines as a bad thing covid-19 wise - People out running around and not hunkered down.
Also, I see lines where their were none before due to distancing. More space between people. Only 1 or 2 customers inside at a time. Only 2 people working behind the counter instead of the 4 that were working in the same space.

The righteousness in this thread ....

right·eous
/ˈrīCHəs/
adjective: righteous
1.( of a person or conduct) morally right or justifiable; virtuous.
"feelings of righteous indignation about pay and conditions"

I think you have missed the point entirely. I grew up in some difficult circumstances. I know what it is like to worry about if there will be dinner or oil for the heater. I’ve seen 20,000 of medical bills on the refrigerator when I doubt we had $100. It isn’t a good feeling. There is no doubt it is why I have a hard time spending even at this point in my life.

I don’t look down on their actions, I fear for them. We have some friends who were spenders... they lost their home when he lost his corporate job. She still made a decent salary but it simply wasn’t enough. Why? they lacked a big pile at a point I would have expected one. 2 successful people earning significant $.

Last edited:
right·eous
/ˈrīCHəs/
adjective: righteous
1.( of a person or conduct) morally right or justifiable; virtuous.
"feelings of righteous indignation about pay and conditions"

I think you have missed the point entirely. I grew up in some difficult circumstances. I know what it is like to worry about if there will be dinner or oil for the heater. I’ve seen 20,000 of medical bills on the refrigerator when I doubt we had $100. It isn’t a good feeling. There is no doubt it is why I have a hard time spending even at this point in my life.

I don’t look down on their actions, I fear for them. We have some friends who were spenders... they lost their home when he lost his corporate job. She still made a decent salary but it simply wasn’t enough. Why? they lacked a big pile at a point I would have expected one. 2 successful people earning significant $.

Not to be argumentative, but how do you know the people waiting in line for coffee don't have an emergency stash already? I go to Dunkin Donuts at least once a week. In my neck of the woods, $2.50 will get you an extra large hot coffee with butter pecan flavoring (or hazelnut, etc), so it's not that expensive.

I used to pinch pennies until they bled, but at some point I realized life is too short to be a miser about everything. I do find Starbucks expensive for their fancy coffees (and calorie busters if you spring for the frozen coffees!). But to each their own.

With the heat I have shifted my exercise walk earlier so the tail end of it coincides with rush hour. Walking for exercise in the morning is a joy, the podcast playing in my ears keeps me company - the hour and something goes fast. This morning a fox crossed the road in front of me with a large critter of some sort hanging from its mouth. I have seen them hunting in the fields but never saw evidence of success until today.

The last stretch of my walk brings me past one of those Dunkin donut gas station combinations. It was a regular gas station for many years then sat idle for a few years and finally this place opened. I’ve never seen many customers there- this morning surprisingly busy. I find the place to be too pricey. I think I’ve bought a gallon of gas there for the lawn equipment. Over $2.00 for a cup of plain old Joe; Carolyn reminds me that many drink flavored and other more expensive concoctions. The price of a danish or donut seems exorbitant. Day after day it adds up but I’ll not bore you with the latte factor as it is well known and angers those who indulge.

Truthfully seeing the lines disturbes me- I believe if ever there was a time to be frugal it is now. The virus is on the rise, 50% of all closed restaurants are likely to not reopen and my buddies still in the corporate world talk of more layoffs. For those already stretched seems like it won’t get better.

Yeah it is a very negative vision but I just can’t help it. Am I alone?
I’ll stick to my home made coffee...

You are a man after my own heart. I too saw a fox on my walk here in South Central PA a couple of weeks ago. And I’m enjoying my home brewed coffee as well.

No. I think we are in for another economic hit. I had hoped that our leaders of all persuasions and at every level would get their act together and find a way to manage this virus until a permanent solution is found. I appear to have been overly optimistic.

I recently sold my mid term and long term bond funds as I can't see interest rates going higher and it's hard for them to go much lower. (Yes, I realize they could go negative.)

Here's a somewhat interesting experience that proves nothing but got me thinking....

A friend had chatted up with some young folks (maybe 35 at the oldest) closely hanging out at a local park. They figured they could do what they wanted since CV did not affect them very badly. Noting that it was the middle of a weekday, my friend asked how many were unemployed. A majority of them were out of work as they had worked in the restaurant, travel, entertainment and other hard hit industries. He asked them if they realized that older folks like him spent a lot of money traveling, eating out, going to movies and plays, and other such things, thus keeping them employed. Not many of the younger folk had made the connection that a lot of their income depended on more vulnerable people continuing to spend.

Oh well.... Anybody have an off-the grid-cabin out West they want to sell cheap? :eek:

Last edited:
I too believe we will have another economic hit, but people will keep buying/spending as they usually do if they want. Some folks don't stop until they are hit in the face with financial adversity, planning ahead just doesn't seem to mean anything to them.
You don't know anyone else budget/spending/savings.

All I know is when I worked, I always wondered at the staff who daily went to starbucks and out to lunch. I brought my lunch and coffee, budgeted myself one coffee and lunch out every two weeks. Daily was just too darned expensive when I was saving like a mad man for retirement !

For us coffee is often about location. We often like to enjoy some joe at a beach, park, or on a trail where there are no coffee shops or stands. So we'll take along a thermos. For summer trips, I'll make a thermos of iced mocha. It's a little involved, with the coffee ice cubes and chocolate syrup that need to be made the night before, but well worth it to crack open that cold thermos for a sweet boost after a paddle or peddle.

If there's a unique coffee shop in an interesting location, we may stop in to enjoy a coffee with the scenery and atmosphere and help support a small business.

Last edited:
Pacergal,

Interesting comment. I'm sure some of those folks eating lunch out and frequenting Starbucks were also complaining that they couldn't save any $ for a rainy day. It's all about the choices we choose to make.

With the heat I have shifted my exercise walk earlier so the tail end of it coincides with rush hour. Walking for exercise in the morning is a joy, the podcast playing in my ears keeps me company - the hour and something goes fast... The virus is on the rise, 50% of all closed restaurants are likely to not reopen and my buddies still in the corporate world talk of more layoffs. For those already stretched seems like it won’t get better.

+1
A coffee machine automatically has coffee ready when I wake up to feed the cats. Don't see a need to drive to a place to buy a cup. Don't see the point. My coffee is better than any I have tried in the past anyway. My morning exercise is riding a bike while the neighborhood streets are still traffic free. Afterwards I use light weights, elastic bands, and a stationary recumbent (if it's raining) in an air-conditioned sunroom with a flat screen TV. Then a smoothie breakfast of many different fruits and kale. Sorry for the restaurants but I haven't been to one since January and don't plan on going anytime soon (sorry for those unemployed but I am looking out for my health and that of my wife as best as I can). A few years before we retired we planned for our backyard to be an oasis for "Staycations" when we were not traveling. Looks like that was a good idea just like living frugally and planning for providing a retirement income. There is no telling how long it will be before an effective vaccine is available and/or effective treatment is developed. In the meantime there is nothing more I can do except for using protection and practicing distancing and avoidance.

Cheers!

Not buying a car on credit or keeping your money in the market, has more to do with your financial success than buying a cup of coffee once in a while. Just saying.

For us coffee is often about location. We often like to enjoy some joe at a beach, park, or on a trail where there are no coffee shops or stands. So we'll take along a thermos. For summer trips, I'll make a thermos of iced mocha. It's a little involved, with the coffee ice cubes and chocolate syrup that need to be made the night before, but well worth it to crack open that cold thermos for a sweet boost after a paddle or peddle.

If there's a unique coffee shop in an interesting location, we may stop in to enjoy a coffee with the scenery and atmosphere and help support a small business.
Try some Nutella instead of chocolate syrup in that thermos for a change. Put it in while the coffee is hot and shake it up well. Nice treat!

Cheers!

Sure I can, why?

Okay, "can't" was too strong a term. I was merely pointing out the dissonance in your two laments.

Because restaurants are just the tip of the iceberg I used them as an example because there’s a cute little breakfast and lunch place next door to the donut shop. They’ve set up a big open air tent with tables and people are dining al fresco. That can only last until September, what then?

Maybe they will make it through the winter due to the profligate spending of fiscally irresponsible people this summer! :D

+1
I also believe that if the economy is 70% consumption driven then I actually want people to continue these habits. They need to keep spending, having to work and paying into ss etc to help keep it solvent.
Yeah, I don’t complain since they are supporting my investments, but I do feel bad for those who can’t save for whatever reason.

So we're talking about working folks stopping to get gas and a coffee, maybe a danish, on their morning commute, right? And casting judgment that they shouldn't be spending that recklessly?

Nah, can't get behind that. Especially now. If I've learned anything these last few months of stay-at-home, it's little things like stopping for a coffee that make each day a little brighter.

Try some Nutella instead of chocolate syrup in that thermos for a change. Put it in while the coffee is hot and shake it up well. Nice treat!

Interesting, that would add a nice hazelnut flavor. For iced mocha, I suppose I could dissolve it into the hot coffee, then chill as usual.

Last edited:
We ate takeout once a week during the shutdown and always tipped generously because I knew the workers and businesses were hurting. I know of 10 restaurants and bars that aren’t reopening. Our income hasn’t changed but all my kids are hit hard. When working I only ate lunch out on Friday as my treat.

We too drink our coffee at home. Helps to get the day started. DH used to get $5 per day for lunch. Almost couldn't make it that cheap at home. Retired 5 years now and we do try to support our local restaurants by going through the drive through. Will be awhile before we go into a restaurant to eat. We have always had our coffee at home and taken our lunch to work except the last 5 years of working for DH. Pick and choose those "treats". If it is included in your budget, go for it.

The [mod edit] COVID gave me the push to finally prepare my own coffee every morning - vs. walking down to the local SBUX. You know what? My coffee is equal to or better than what I could get by going out...and costs less! That said, I do miss the social element of chatting with the group of regulars that were there every morning - so I make a point of stopping by a couple of times per week where they sit outside and solve the world’s problems (or at least try). What we save on coffee, we make up for in tipping at our favorite local restaurants, when we pick up to-go food.

Regarding tough times ahead, just wait ‘till the enhanced unemployment benefits run out. Unless things change (benefits are extended, an effective vaccine is released, etc.), I bet there will be trouble...

Last edited by a moderator:
We too drink our coffee at home. Helps to get the day started. DH used to get $5 per day for lunch. Almost couldn't make it that cheap at home.

I gave up making lunch my last few years of work and walked across the street to a grocery store. A typical lunch was a fresh roll with a small amount of lunch meat, and an apple and banana. It usually cost around $2.

Not to be argumentative, but how do you know the people waiting in line for coffee don't have an emergency stash

You are right I don’t know, I’m guessing but with the number of people that can’t handle a $1,000 repair bill it is an educated guess.

So we're talking about working folks stopping to get gas and a coffee, maybe a danish, on their morning commute, right? And casting judgment that they shouldn't be spending that recklessly?

Nah, can't get behind that. Especially now. If I've learned anything these last few months of stay-at-home, it's little things like stopping for a coffee that make each day a little brighter.

They aren’t buying gas he’s too expensive..cheaper options nearby.

It isn’t about the latte effect it’s about what I and many others see coming... truthfully it’s scary. I hope I’m full of hot air...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom