What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ A new and interesting approach to present the data. What also helps is the animation to show the advance of the virus infection.

This info is present in the existing charts, if one knows to look for it.

The Worldometer Web site has charts showing daily new cases, and daily new deaths. These charts show the inflection points a lot clearer than the charts of running total cases or total deaths. That is when the curves start to deviate from their previous exponential paths.

Last edited:
This is the Rhode Island Connecticut border today. Rhode Island troopers and national guard have set up this tent and are stopping all vehicles with New York plates.

"Members of the National Guard will be stationed at train and bus stations to gather the contact information of anyone coming in from New York. In addition, the Rhode Island State Police will station troopers at the state border to flag down vehicles with New York license plates. The information collected will be used only for contact tracing by the Rhode Island Department of Health, Raimondo said" FB_IMG_1585346778483.jpeg

I went by the Nassau County Medical Center (NY) tonight, no lines, quiet, the sign said wait time 13 minutes. Unlike Queens where they have people backed up out the door at the ER.

I went by the Nassau County Medical Center (NY) tonight, no lines, quiet, the sign said wait time 13 minutes. Unlike Queens where they have people backed up out the door at the ER.

And I bet there were no teams of news crews and cameras showing the lack of lines. For, you know, perspective, information, stuff like that.

Google maps says Nassau County Medical Center is ~ 30 minutes from Queens.

Thanks for the update, the kind we probably won't get from the "journalists".

-ERD50

I was exposed to COVID 19 on March 8. A guy I know and his father-in-law went into the hospital with it and pneumonia a few days ago. The younger one is out of the hospital. The older one hasn't died yet, but is in ICU. I'm not messing around with this anymore. I have ordered enough food to last over a month which I can have loaded in the back of my Jeep and go straight back home. My hope is if there is a major first wave it will have come and gone before any interaction with other people. After that I will hope there are hospital beds available. I sure hope I am wrong on this, but staying in seclusion is not much of a hardship so why not?

My daughter learned today that her coworker who suspected COVID got their test results back and was negative. That's a relief, it was a little too close to home.

I ordered a pizza online for the first time today and ran to town to pick it up. I stopped by the grocery store while I was in town. Still no flour, sugar, or yeast but they had several pallets full of some unknown brand of toilet paper. They were sold as small individual rolls, so I bought the limit of four. That should extend us out another week or two.

I took our own grocery shopping bags as usual and was told they are no longer allowing bags from outside the store. So I chose plastic bags and put them in my bags when I got to the car. They had also installed large plastic "sneeze shields" between the customer and the clerks.

On the way home I stopped by our little mom and pop country store and actually found a bag of flour. Yahoo! No luck on the yeast though.

Received this (approx 57 min, non-professional vid) from a retired nurse friend in Missouri, who in turn received it from a doctor friend of hers.....quite informative. (Probably have to click the 'Watch On Vimeo'):

https://vimeo.com/399733860

Received this (approx 57 min, non-professional vid) from a retired nurse friend in Missouri, who in turn received it from a doctor friend of hers.....quite informative. (Probably have to click the 'Watch On Vimeo'):
Can you give us a bit of a summary?

Learned yesterday that a mutual friend living in Chicago, was on vacation with his wife in mexico in Feb. and have now tested positive for COVID-19 along with his MIL whose is tended for by his wife. Hoping for their recovery although he has significant health factors along with age that could negatively impact things.

Can you give us a bit of a summary?

Of course - basically it's a young front line doctor outlining his experiences combating the virus, and giving hints on how to (hopefully) minimize the possibility of contracting it in the first place.

The above is a good video. It was posted yesterday on the "Dire situation in New York State" thread. It is worth mentioning again here.

I watched it in its entirety. Very worthwhile and reassuring to hear it from someone on the frontline, and working face-to-face with patients who cough and sneeze. Of course this doctor would know how to protect himself.

Learned yesterday that a mutual friend living in Chicago, was on vacation with his wife in mexico in Feb. and have now tested positive for COVID-19 along with his MIL whose is tended for by his wife. Hoping for their recovery although he has significant health factors along with age that could negatively impact things.

Sorry your friend is ill but why do you throw in the fact he was on vacation in Mexico in Feb to the story? It's almost April....this virus has an incubation period outside that window....say the friend or his wife got sick and then continue to interact with Grandma....this is where the problem really is, not the fact your buddy was in Mexico in Feb.

What's it about? What is its message?

Post #786 above:

basically it's a young front line doctor outlining his experiences combating the virus, and giving hints on how to (hopefully) minimize the possibility of contracting it in the first place.

A friend had to go in for bypass surgery yesterday (Washington State), and absolutely no visitors are allowed, including immediate family. The friend was concerned that he wouldn't be schedule for surgery due to the hospitals packed with virus patients. I'm concerned he is now at a higher risk of catching the virus in his weakened state after surgery, that could have a very bad outcome.

The ironic thing, he believes this Virus is overhyped, and is just another flu like every year.

Last edited:
The ironic thing, he believes this Virus is overhyped, and is just another flu like every year.
He may not be far off. Dr. Peter Attia's evaluation of the numbers makes total sense. And if we tested everyone, we'd have a better picture of the reality of how dangerous this virus is. It has to be more cost effective than a $2 T package.

Went to the farmers market today. Even more precautions than last week. Fewer shoppers (the light rain didn't help) and a few missing vendors but overall good selection. Picked up a few things for friends who are in self-isolation after returning from Africa on Monday. Dropped items on their doorstep and chatted at a distance which they appreciated very much.

The above is a good video. It was posted yesterday on the "Dire situation in New York State" thread. It is worth mentioning again here.

I watched it in its entirety. Very worthwhile and reassuring to hear it from someone on the frontline, and working face-to-face with patients who cough and sneeze. Of course this doctor would know how to protect himself.

That video was posted on March 22. I wonder if he has changed any of his recommendations or understanding of the disease since then.

Originally posted this in a separate thread but looks like it should go here:

New evidence emerges of a coronavirus seasonal cycle. Warm, humid weather could slow coronavirus, new research finds

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-latest-news/#link-EUYQ36JDHJFHPM4OJQPSDD3RHU

This is probably why the California rate is slower than New York. Much warmer temperatures this time of year, but not sure if one can compare to New Orleans, not sure of the weather down there.

This is probably why the California rate is slower than New York. Much warmer temperatures this time of year, but not sure if one can compare to New Orleans, not sure of the weather down there.

Ever since before Louisiana's first case of coronavirus appeared on March 9th, weather here has been in the 80's each day and humidity has been legendary. Right now as I type, it's 87F with 57% humidity.

As of today we have 3,315 positive cases, 137 dead, and 927 hospitalized in Louisiana, mostly in the New Orleans metro area although it is starting to spread out to the boonies and numbers are just now beginning to rise throughout the state. Some of this is surely due to increases in testing availability. The U.S. Surgeon General just announced to us yesterday that the worst for New Orleans is yet to come.

Luckily, the idea of summer curing all is giving hope to the masses throughout the US and might even forestall any possible civil unrest. Beyond that I would speculate that the whole idea is hogwash.

I suspect much of the spread is due to congested conditions, particularly the public transportation. Out here in the West, metropolitan areas are more spread out, and most people drive.

I have lived in Phoenix for more than 4 decades, and have not ridden the city bus once. We have no metro, and just built a light rail a few years ago. This light rail is still very limited in its coverage. The Phoenix metropolitan area has almost 5 million people, but it is spread out over 15,000 sq.mi.

Conditions similar to NYC would be in Chicago, SF, Philadelphia, etc...

In the US, NYC is the most densely populated large city (27k people per sq. mile) followed by San Francisco (17k per sq. mile); Boston (13k); Chicago (12k);Philadelphia (11k); Miami (11k).

Last edited:
Ever since before Louisiana's first case of coronavirus appeared on March 9th, weather here has been in the 80's each day and humidity has been legendary. Right now as I type, it's 87F with 57% humidity.

As of today we have 3,315 positive cases, 137 dead, and 927 hospitalized in Louisiana, mostly in the New Orleans metro area although it is starting to spread out to the boonies and numbers are just now beginning to rise throughout the state. Some of this is surely due to increases in testing availability. The U.S. Surgeon General just announced to us yesterday that the worst for New Orleans is yet to come.

Luckily, the idea of summer curing all is giving hope to the masses throughout the US and might even forestall any possible civil unrest. Beyond that I would speculate that the whole idea is hogwash.
AFAIK this virus isn't affected by weather. PLEASE prove me wrong?

I think SF East Bay Area's lower rate is because we are going hard & heavy on mostly Shelter in Place. Is NYC trying this yet? Will NOLA cancel future large group gatherings? Is that southern church still holding services up to 1000?

It's raining so I can't go hiking. I'm bored. But staying separate

He may not be far off. Dr. Peter Attia's evaluation of the numbers makes total sense. And if we tested everyone, we'd have a better picture of the reality of how dangerous this virus is. It has to be more cost effective than a $2 T package.

Even if the death rate is initially low, when so many million people get sick and jam the hospitals, lack of care drives up that death rate, and makes the death rate a lot higher than it would be otherwise.

So, forget about testing. Just look at the hospitals being filled up, and we know how bad it is. Outside the hospitals, people do not see anything unusual. But people who get sick and are short-of-breath who lay on the ground in an ER waiting for their turn to be examined don't think it is "just a flu".

And when was the last flu that caused Madrid, Spain, to use an ice skate rink to store bodies? And an NYC hospital to use a refrigerated semi-trailer as the temporary morgue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom