What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridiculous, I am surprised that you are letting your son work in a grocery store. Especially since I thought your husband was older. My adult son just got home from Vietnam and I am not letting him work at all since he will be living with us.

Found out late Tuesday that fish pond cleaning is not essential so they had to cancel our annual clean. Unfortunately, no one told the oak leaves clogging the filter and messing up the pump. So today I grabbed a small colander from the kitchen and some garden tools to try and get enough leaves out so the pump doesn't fail. My arms are too short to reach the bottom where the leaves build up so I'm sure it was quite the comical scene as I stirred up the leaves and then quickly fished them out with the colander. Got enough out that I think it will run for a few weeks now that the leaf drop is done (more leaves will migrate from the pond itself into the filter over time).

While I was outside I brought a bucket of homemade compost over to the garden and planted some butternut squash, a cherry tomato, and some lettuce seeds. Also moved a few of the dozens of spontaneously sprouting parsley plants to better spots. Watered in everything just a bit as they're calling for several inches of rain in the next few days.

Edited a short video of DH, DDog and me waving branches and shouting "Hosanna!" - our church's Palm Sunday service video will include a "virtual procession" of some kind. (Note: DDog didn't shout, just tried to knock the branch out of my hand).

Guess you missed this in the article I linked:

Yes, I did miss that.

The helmet provides a step between having the patient on a simple oxygen cannula to full-blown intubation with a ventilator. This intermediate step is traditionally done with a face mask.

The following article from the University of Chicago shows that the helmet is better than a face mask because it seals better against the patient's head or face. This allows a higher pressure being applied to the patient's lungs to inflate them.

For some reasons, European hospitals are using this helmet more than American hospitals.

Ref: https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/fo...e-mask-for-patients-with-respiratory-distress.

The reports make it sound like these replace ventilators, but the U of C video showed it connected to a ventilator machine (something that actively pumps O2 in and pulls exhaled air out). I guess I don't know where the line is between CPAP, BiPAP and ventilator.

But these wouldn't do much (might do some, and every bit does help) to relax the need for ventilators. If it's better than a mask though, it might help someone improve before they are needing a full ventilator? Like NW-Bound says, a step between cannula (nose plug thingie), mask, and full ventilator?

Looks a little scary (might hinder acceptance?), and my Mom was on a BiPAP machine with face mask, and the fitting is pretty critical, leakage throws things off. The machine could detect leakage, and set an alarm. They say these helmets seal better, so that's a big plus.

At the time, I was curious about the BiPAP machines. Hers was a little table-top unit, pretty compact, and could be battery powered (you'd need an O2 source). Pretty sophisticated controls. It was covered by Medicare, but if I had to buy one, they were ~ $1,500 IIRC, not so bad for something that specialized and that requires expensive approvals.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Certainly could be, but they might be pinning their hopes on a unicorn...remember how long it took to get the new shingles shots out and available to people? They have find a vaccine, produce it and get it into the general public.

Comparison to the new shingles shot is not very useful, as there already was an established shingles shot, so the new one was an improvement to affect a generally non-life threatening issue.

I do think the 7% are thinking a vaccine will be out in 1.5 years or less, but that is better than death.

Imagine no vaccine, with mutations yearly, like other viruses (flu) do each year, the death rate in US would be 1-2 million just from Covid-19 every year.
That is up to 4.9 time more than all of WWII for Americans in just 1 year.

So a lot of hope is riding and motivating the vaccine development.

Ridiculous, I am surprised that you are letting your son work in a grocery store. Especially since I thought your husband was older. My adult son just got home from Vietnam and I am not letting him work at all since he will be living with us.

I think people can decide for themselves what is ridiculous or not for their situation.

People need groceries, the stores need workers to handle the curb side deliveries. They can certainly take precautions to minimize the risk. There seems to be little/no evidence of getting infected through handling a surface that an infected person handled, or walked by. I would think the store could pretty easily have reasonable precautions in place.

My son and daughter work in hospitals. Is that ridiculous? You gotta do what you gotta do.

-ERD50

Certainly could be, but they might be pinning their hopes on a unicorn...remember how long it took to get the new shingles shots out and available to people? They have find a vaccine, produce it and get it into the general public.

You forgot "approve" it.

Comparison to the new shingles shot is not very useful, as there already was an established shingles shot, so the new one was an improvement to affect a generally non-life threatening issue.

I do think the 7% are thinking a vaccine will be out in 1.5 years or less, but that is better than death.

Imagine no vaccine, with mutations yearly, like other viruses (flu) do each year, the death rate in US would be 1-2 million just from Covid-19 every year.
That is up to 4.9 time more than all of WWII for Americans in just 1 year.

So a lot of hope is riding and motivating the vaccine development.

It is useful because I'm not talking about the development time I'm talking about how it took to get the amount of doses needed for the public. You cant stop making all other essential vaccines to make one COVID vaccine.

But these wouldn't do much (might do some, and every bit does help) to relax the need for ventilators. If it's better than a mask though, it might help someone improve before they are needing a full ventilator? Like NW-Bound says, a step between cannula (nose plug thingie), mask, and full ventilator?

Studies indicate the helmet may provide a significant reduction in the need for ventilators, which is likely the reason they are in such great demand.

From the linked article:

Dr. Bhakti Patel, who has been studying the devices for six years, said they hold promise as an early intervention that could spare respiratory patients the need to be put on the more traditional — and costly and invasive — ventilators.

"I would love for there to be a silver bullet for this pandemic," said Patel, a pulmonologist at the University of Chicago. "My best hope is that the way it changes the game is that maybe it shaves off the number of patients who need a ventilator — even if it's 1 out of 3 or 1 out of 5."

"If that is the case," Patel added, "that would be a game changer when we're seeing this tidal wave of patients who need a ventilator."

Patel led a first-of-its-kind study in 2016 that tested the Sea-Long helmet against an oxygen mask for a group of 83 intensive care patients suffering from acute respiratory distress. The researchers found that the helmet led to superior outcomes: Patients using them required ventilation 18.2 percent of the time, compared to 61.5 percent for the masks, and had a better 90-day survival rate, according to the study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The trial was stopped early because the helmets proved more effective than the masks, resulting in a smaller sample size than originally intended. But Patel believes the device could lead to a sea change in intensive care units that have long relied on traditional ventilators. Those devices require doctors to fully sedate patients and insert a tube into their windpipes, a process that can cause pneumonia and other problems when used for extended periods of time.

"If we take away the ventilator — which comes with this package of sedating people, making them not move, making them sort of not have memory of what's happening — perhaps we could spare some patients some long-term complications," Patel said.

We might also develop some anti-viral drugs to treat the disease and make it less dangerous for those who develop severe symptoms from it. That seems more likely to happen sooner than a vaccine.

We might also develop some anti-viral drugs to treat the disease and make it less dangerous for those who develop severe symptoms from it. That seems more likely to happen sooner than a vaccine.

Yeah, that malarial drug + arthromycin (sp?) sounds promising.

As for my COVID news of the day, I learned our state (MS) is going under "stay at home" orders tomorrow.

"...Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who apparently just learned asymptomatic people can spread the coronavirus..."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/g...nown-a-long-time-ago-2020-04-02?mod=home-page

There are still a number of states holding out. They appear to still be in denial, thinking “This does not apply here” mentality. It’s hard to comprehend.

Anthony Fauci was interviewed this morning on the Today Show and was directly asked, should the Federal Government be mandating a country wide stay at home mandate. His answer was diplomatic, but effectively he found a delicate way to say yes, absolutely.

Yeah, that malarial drug + arthromycin (sp?) sounds promising.

As for my COVID news of the day, I learned our state (MS) is going under "stay at home" orders tomorrow.

Yep, does anybody remember a Korean guy from Lost? (I guess he played in Hawaii Five-O too, but I never watched that.) He was given both of those you mention along with Tamiflu and some kind of inhaler after he was tested positive for COVID-19. He talks about his medication about 3 minutes into this video.

In case you want to know more of how it started, I believe this one is the first video.

You forgot "approve" it.

I think Dr. Hahn has had a slight change in attitude these days. I suspect approval will be a bit more streamlined than the utter fiasco that bubbled over in January. Thank God some people in the Seattle Flu Study told the FDA to stuff it and went ahead with testing anyway.

Why did he do that video? Basically it's Hey I did fine and I got special treatment the rest of you can't get.

We're all told to stay home until we feel like we might be dying...you think any of us could get treatment like that?

One of his sons, Ellis Marsalis III, confirmed to The Associated Press that Ellis Marsalis Jr., the patriarch of a New Orleans clan that included his famed musician sons, died after battling pneumonia brought on by COVID-19. [...] The noted jazz pianist and educator is the father of internationally known musicians Branford and Wynton Marsalis.

Ellis Marsalis Jr. was 85.

https://www.wdsu.com/article/legendary-musician-ellis-marsalis-jr-dies/32012449#

Ellis Marsalis Jr. was legendary here in the New Orleans music scene.

Probably not. We still don't have a SARS vaccine and that outbreak occurred in 2003. Nor for MERS, which started in 2012.

We could have had a SARS vaccine, there was one in the works, but funding dried up when the virus went away.

I really don't remember the whole world shutting down and the market dropping 30% when SARS was out.

9 women can't make a baby in 1 month, but properly motivated, 50 companies might be able to come up with a vaccine faster than 1 company.

+1

More qualified help may shorten the critical path of a project.

Otherwise we are back to "to many cooks spoil the stew".

We could have had a SARS vaccine, there was one in the works, but funding dried up when the virus went away.
The great overlooked opportunity of all world leaders over the last 15 years.

I dislike FB but re-upped to stay on the loop on neighborhood stuff - we have a page just for residents. It was a drag to return to pointless sniping back and forth about who’s right and who’s wrong but I did come across two gems:

1. A group on the neighborhood is delivering standardized boxes of produce (potatoes, lettuce, apples, etc) for $20 and reached capacity immediately (40 deliveries a day). Stay tuned for expansion they say.

2. A local car lot gets my prize for the day - they are giving away 2 rolls of TP free to anyone who asks - “not enough to hoard but enough to get you by for a little bit”. Which has got me wondering - when will TP become the giveaway for a retail or service purchase?

So, some useful info found.

In my state (UT), we are in Stay Home, Stay Safe mode via a statewide Directive (not an Order which requires some means of enforcement) so previous reports of states with no “orders” may be missing this distinction. On my limited excursions into the wilds of commerce, I’ve seen a huge variance in how businesses are supporting social distancing and cleaning of common surfaces. But honestly, it feels like most are really trying to find their way forward in these unprecedented times.

State parks are open but limited to residents of the county where the park is located. So, I still walk the dogs in one of my county’s parks every morning.

They closed Zion NP (hikers on Angels Landing couldn’t maintain 6 ft - if you’ve ever hiked this, you get it).

Last edited:
2. A local car lot gets my prize for the day - they are giving away 2 rolls of TP free to anyone who asks - “not enough to hoard but enough to get you by for a little bit”. Which has got me wondering - when will TP become the giveaway for a retail or service purchase?

So this is becoming a thing. This isn't the only promotion like this. Which has me wondering... how much TP have they hoarded in order to "give away?"

A sheriff's deputy down in the local big city died yesterday evening. Likely due to COVID-19. Another is sick with COVID-19 symptoms. Very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom