What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is becoming a thing. This isn't the only promotion like this. Which has me wondering... how much TP have they hoarded in order to "give away?"

I've asked myself this question in my own buying - I didn't get large quantities of anything and became a charter member of the About to Have a TP Shortage Clan which has given me an entirely new perspective on those who have and those who don't.

I now understand how some forms of "charity" don't feel quite so charitable!

I was going to post a link to a big sale Costco is having on a bidet toilet seat but before I got a chance to write the post they sold out of them. If they get any more in stock they are $200 off. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever bothered with toilet paper. But first you have to find one, and apparently they are selling out faster than toilet paper right now.

Lockdown, day 18. A bit of good news here in this area. The number of Covid survivors leaving hospitals has now been exceeding the number of people being admitted for the third day in a row.

Dr. David Price: A prediction, and why

For those of you who have an hour to spare, this video from Dr. David Price, a doctor in New York treating COVID-19 patients extensively, is worth watching. Apologies if it has already been posted elsewhere. This thread is getting really long.

In summary:

1) Wash your hands wash your hands wash your hands.
2) Don’t touch your face, especially when outside your home.
3) Don’t worry about going grocery shopping. Keep six feet away from others. You will be fine.
4) Don’t worry about going out and taking walks or getting exercise. Again just keep six feet away.
5) No need for N95 masks unless you are within very short distance of a person who is spraying a lot of stuff out of their mouth, like in a hospital exam situation. Personal masks are good for keeping you from infecting others though.
6) Stop panicking. As long as you follow the guidelines you will not get infected and you can go on a live your life again.
This video has been posted several times so far on er.org, but that's a good summary that you've written.

This brings up my SARS-CoV-2 thought for the day (Danger Will Robinson!): Dr Price will be infected before the year ends.

He put himself out there on the video, stating flatly that he won't get it, even though he spends his days taking care of Covid-19 patients using the reasoning that he simply won't contaminate himself using his hands.

Why do I think that's not enough? Here's why and please tell me I'm being illogical here, but I can't see the hole in the logic:

• The observed spread rate is too big to be from direct "droplets" alone.
  • The other possible mechanisms include 1) surface / hand / face and 2) aerosol particles.
  • Despite lasting for 3 days on some surfaces, this virus is not particularly hearty outside the body, and it needs to get from the surface, to the hand, then to the mucus membrane of the next victim, which is becoming quite a challenge lately, due to hyper awareness.
  • Yet even with hyper awareness and N95 masks, those in close proximity with patients with the virus STILL get the disease.
  • I conclude that although we are told "there's no proof that transmission is through aerosol particles", it seems likely to me, just based on observation.
  • N95 masks do not filter individual virus particles (0.1 microns)
So I conclude that anybody working for many hours a a day in an environment housing many people with active Covid-19, including Price, will eventually get the disease, even if they don't contaminate themselves using their own hands.

Lockdown, day 18. A bit of good news here in this area. The number of Covid survivors leaving hospitals has now been exceeding the number of people being admitted for the third day in a row.
That is indeed excellent news!

Ohio's stay at home order was extended through May 1st. Starting Monday, essential retail stores will be required to post the maximum number of people allowed into the store at one time, enforce it, and enforce that everyone waiting in a line outside to get in is standing at least 6 feet from each other. No clue how this is all going to play out. I don't feel especially kindly to the idea of having to wait in a line to get inside a grocery store, especially if it's hit or miss on the selection of stock inside.

This video has been posted several times so far on er.org, but that's a good summary that you've written.

This brings up my SARS-CoV-2 thought for the day (Danger Will Robinson!): Dr Price will be infected before the year ends.

He put himself out there on the video, stating flatly that he won't get it, even though he spends his days taking care of Covid-19 patients using the reasoning that he simply won't contaminate himself using his hands.

Why do I think that's not enough? Here's why and please tell me I'm being illogical here, but I can't see the hole in the logic:

• The other possible mechanisms include 1) surface / hand / face and 2) aerosol particles.
  • Despite lasting for 3 days on some surfaces, this virus is not particularly hearty outside the body, and it needs to get from the surface, to the hand, then to the mucus membrane of the next victim, which is becoming quite a challenge lately, due to hyper awareness.
  • Yet even with hyper awareness and N95 masks, those in close proximity with patients with the virus STILL get the disease.
  • I conclude that although we are told "there's no proof that transmission is through aerosol particles", it seems likely to me, just based on observation.
So I conclude that anybody working for many hours a a day in an environment housing many people with active Covid-19, including Price, will eventually get the disease, even if they don't contaminate themselves using their own hands.

+1
Too many other doctors/nurses/etc have already gotten it in various countries.

Ohio's stay at home order was extended through May 1st. Starting Monday, essential retail stores will be required to post the maximum number of people allowed into the store at one time, enforce it, and enforce that everyone waiting in a line outside to get in is standing at least 6 feet from each other. No clue how this is all going to play out. I don't feel especially kindly to the idea of having to wait in a line to get inside a grocery store, especially if it's hit or miss on the selection of stock inside.

At least this way you won't have to travel to Russia for the shopping experience :LOL::LOL::LOL:

There is no doubt that some doctors working extensively with COVID patients will become infected, as they have already done. But we don’t know what percentage of doctors have become infected so it’s hard to assess the risk. Anecdotally it seems low. When doctors or nurses get infected it makes the news quickly. But the news stories have been at most a few dozen throughout the country.

Similar issue with employees working in grocery stores. It would seem that if you and I have to worry about getting infected just by doing a weekly 15 minute shopping trip to the grocery store, the employees who spend 8 hours a day there must all be doomed.

But again there have only been a handful of news articles talking about employees at these stores testing positive. So while we don’t have a percentage, we can look at anecdotal data and say it’s a relatively small percentage. So it’s not unreasonable to presume that those of us who make a brief shopping trip to the store once or twice a week are significantly less likely to get infected while at the store. To me is seems like a reasonable amount of risk to take right now.

Similar issue with employees working in grocery stores. (snip) But again there have only been a handful of news articles talking about employees at these stores testing positive. So while we don’t have a percentage, we can look at anecdotal data and say it’s a relatively small percentage. So it’s not unreasonable to presume that those of us who make a brief shopping trip to the store once or twice a week are significantly less likely to get infected while at the store. To me is seems like a reasonable amount of risk to take right now.
A Covid-19 hospital ward is a far cry from a grocery store, for sure!

I have used your logic before: Using the people that work all day in the environment as "canaries in the coal mine". My example from about a month ago was with flight attendants:
... staffed by flight attendants that don't wear masks and are listening to people talking at higher than average volume (talking above the ambient noise). All of those interactions with infected people have resulted in very few (that I have heard of) flight attendant cases.
If there are lots of reports of grocery store staff falling victim to infection, I'd think harder about going into the store. As it stands now, I'm not hearing reports of store staff having a higher infection rate than others, but, as you say, anecdotal.

Wondering (yah, like everyone else?) how much worse the restrictions on behavior can get. Seems like every week there's some significant new restriction. The latest one apparently is only one food shopping trip per week. Maybe masks will be required next? The sky seems to be the limit.

If there are lots of reports of grocery store staff falling victim to infection, I'd think harder about going into the store. As it stands now, I'm not hearing reports of store staff having a higher infection rate than others, but, as you say, anecdotal.

I think I have a greater likelihood of dying in a car accident on the way to the grocery store than I do dying from exposure to the virus while shopping.

I don’t fault anyone for switching to home delivery for groceries if it makes them feel more comfortable. But I think it’s a bit like the hoarding people are doing right now out of fear they are going to run out of toilet paper. It’s a bit of an overreaction to a seemingly very scary situation.

In time I anticipate seeing people going back to the grocery stores business as usual. Hopefully they will be wearing masks, and the six foot rules will continue. But otherwise I think the food delivery and hoarding months of supplies is going to get old and people will drift back to more normal shopping routines.

Gov. Jay Inslee just now announced that Washington State's "Stay at Home" order is extended to May 4.
Well, I see your May 4, and raise you a May 8. Wanna bet some governors don't want to be the first one to lift their [-]martial law[/-] lockdown orders.

I was going to post a link to a big sale Costco is having on a bidet toilet seat but before I got a chance to write the post they sold out of them. If they get any more in stock they are $200 off. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever bothered with toilet paper. But first you have to find one, and apparently they are selling out faster than toilet paper right now.

I have a low end model purchased from Amazon before the buying rush began for about $48. Easy to install. It works for me.

DW and I are quarantining at our 2nd home in rural NH. We have a very favorite restaurant here that we like to try to support 1-2 times a week. Of course, they are doing takeout only. Picked up food last night for the 3rd time since shutdown. I find it interesting, but understandable, how they are evolving their protocol.

First time, maybe 2 weeks ago, a day or two after mandated closure/no dining in, I called to place an order. She said you can either come in and pay, or we'll meet you at your car. I asked "which do you prefer?", she said doesn't matter, no one is in here right now. I went down, went inside and paid then went to my car to wait. She was clear to me that I wasn't allowed to sit down anywhere inside.

2nd time, maybe a week later, I called and she said that I'd have to wait in my car. She came out with the food and a wireless iPad and card reader, delivered to food through my window, took my card, inserted it, then handed me the iPad to select tip and sign.

Last night I went again. When I called and placed the order she said it would be probably 30 mins to be delivered to my car. For the first time in my life, I was thrilled with news about having to WAIT for food. They were busy, that was a good thing. I went down and took a parking space with 3-4 other cars. The all got delivered before me, when she came out with the bag, I lowered my passenger side window and asked her to drop the food in there. This time she held the card reader while I inserted my credit card, then asked me if I wanted to leave a tip showing me the face of the iPAd. I said yes, 20% and she touched the iPad screen for me. No signature asked for. She made it clear to me what the total was.

Good for them, and all those people doing the best they can to keep businesses open. I'll will accept any inconvenience needed to keep things operating as much as possible and supporting businesses.

This afternoon a dear friend who is also a co-worker of mine texted me to say she was tested yesterday for Covid. She woke up yesterday with a terribly sore throat, a fever, achiness, sinus issues, and a cough. Then today she developed extreme fatigue.

She was tested for flu - negative.
She was tested for strep - negative.

Her Covid test results should be back Saturday. I fear they will be positive, given the symptoms above, and the other test results being negative. :(

She is quarantined in a bedroom at home. We have all been working from home since 3/16, however, her husband is an essential state worker who still has to go to work every day. He is around people to a certain extent during the day in the course of his job. I fear he could have brought it home unknowingly.

On the plus side, she had no trouble getting tested, which surprised me given all the talk in my state about shortages. She is strong and healthy otherwise, and is not having any shortness of breath to date.

I am crossing my fingers and praying a lot. She said she hopes it is allergies, but I have never heard of allergies causing a fever. :confused:

Last edited:
Sorry your friend is ill but why do you throw in the fact he was on vacation in Mexico in Feb to the story? It's almost April....this virus has an incubation period outside that window....say the friend or his wife got sick and then continue to interact with Grandma....this is where the problem really is, not the fact your buddy was in Mexico in Feb.

Sorry for not being clear. He started feeling ill while in Mexico at the end of February just before returning to Chicago. It was mid March before he was tested and was positive. In late March he was still feeling the profound effects of the disease.

I have a low end model purchased from Amazon before the buying rush began for about $48. Easy to install. It works for me.

Yep, we have 2 of them that we bought about a year ago on Amazon for $35 each. Brondell FreshSpa Easy Bidet Toilet Attachment.

Attachments

• 187418000324.jpg
    187418000324.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 231
Wondering (yah, like everyone else?) how much worse the restrictions on behavior can get. Seems like every week there's some significant new restriction. The latest one apparently is only one food shopping trip per week. Maybe masks will be required next? The sky seems to be the limit.

I don't think the restrictions on behavior are very strict and can and maybe should be much worse. As far as masks go, they would have to somehow make 350M of them available before they can require their use. I don't see that happening.

Yesterday Indiana announced schools would not reopen for this school year which extends into early June..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom