What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The U.S. Surgeon General just announced to us yesterday that the worst for New Orleans is yet to come.

I think that's likely due in part to the transmission of the disease that took place during Mardi Gras celebrations. The timing was potentially tragic, just a week or so prior to many officials understanding the gravity of what might lie ahead. NO leadership would have faced severe criticism had they canceled at the time, but looking back I'll bet they wish they had done so.

Last edited:
NO leadership would have faced severe criticism had they canceled at the time, but looking back I'll bet they wish they had done so.

NO mayor already expressed regret publicly.

Here in AZ, somebody pointed out that the rise in the confirmed cases happened after spring break.

Last edited:
This is probably why the California rate is slower than New York. Much warmer temperatures this time of year, but not sure if one can compare to New Orleans, not sure of the weather down there.

I believe California locked down its cities sooner as well.

Received this (approx 57 min, non-professional vid) from a retired nurse friend in Missouri, who in turn received it from a doctor friend of hers.....quite informative. (Probably have to click the 'Watch On Vimeo'):
He's not quite as concerned with contamination of goods brought into the house as I think one should be. He says get rid of the bags handled by the delivery person, but no need to wipe the packaging, or leave the groceries for a few days outside. But the "picker", who pulled your groceries together might have transmitted the virus. But maybe he's right, but I'm not taking that chance.

He's sure he won't get it. Wow, I wonder if he's just trying to justify going to work and being in the room with Covid-19 positive people all day long.

He's sure he won't get it. Wow, I wonder if he's just trying to justify going to work and being in the room with Covid-19 positive people all day long.

Hey, we need medical workers to continue their job.

I have not looked up the exact procedure to apply a ventilator down the windpipe, even if I could get one on the black market somehow. I bet I will not be able to DIY this part, or show my wife how to do it.

My sister volunteered to work ER /ICU as as an RN. She did that for a few decades before becoming a high-risk OB NP. They said 'no' as she's a cancer survivor and when she pushed was put on medical leave

I believe California locked down its cities sooner as well.
Looked at my notes. Went to Sbux for the last time the day after Gov Newsome told for all those over 60 to stay home. That was March 16th. So I'm on day 12 and anticipate being at home at least 4 more weeks. Just out to hike but running out of produce. Will need to go back to the market soon. Lousy produce last week. Not worth buying

I think that's likely due in part to the transmission of the disease that took place during Mardi Gras celebrations. The timing was potentially tragic, just a week or so prior to many officials understanding the gravity of what might lie ahead. NO leadership would have faced severe criticism had they canceled at the time, but looking back I'll bet they wish they had done so.

Spain had the issue of celebrating International Women's Day. The political pressure not to cancel it was huge so.....

Take a look at the photo in the article below. CV19 must have had a field day with crowds like that marching around the city center in Madrid.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/a...spain-on-womens-day-despite-coronavirus-fears

Live and learn.

I find it interesting that Taiwan has success against Coronavirus (even better than China and Korea, particularly with the amount of folks that travel between China and Taiwan), but they are barely mentioned anywhere to see if their model would help others.

Mardi Gras parades were over, done, finis on February 25th and most of the parades were within the week before the 25th. We got our first case of coronavirus on March 9th and that was a developmentally disabled man living in a facility for such people out in Kenner (a suburb).

Maybe it was just blind luck, but this year much of the Mardi Gras activity was CALLED OFF... something the media conveniently neglects to point out. The weather was awful for 2-3 nights during that week, so they cancelled parades due to dangerously high winds. Rains caused crowds to be unusually small at some parades on other nights. On 1-2 other nights several people got run down and killed by tandem floats (cancelling the rest of the parades), and one parade was cancelled midway due to someone falling off a float. Many parades did not happen this year for other reasons, either due to increased expenses or due to new restrictions on the number of marching bands per parade. Tandem floats were suddenly not allowed any more, at the last minute, after the above deaths so many parades had to be shortened. Even before coronavirus was on our radar, I was telling people that this was the worst Mardi Gras in memory.

We live a half block from a major parade route, and it was weird at our location - - almost like there was no Mardi Gras. Nothing to clean up outside either. Yeah, I'm sure the media found one or two parades and took a lot of photos to throw up on the internet so that it seemed like a lot, but being right here in the middle of things it sure seemed quiet, almost spookily so.

Mardi Gras parades were over, done, finis on February 25th and most of the parades were within the week before the 25th. We got our first case of coronavirus on March 9th and that was a developmentally disabled man living in a facility for such people out in Kenner (a suburb)...

That was the first confirmed case. Who knows who had the virus at the time. Some may have been a carrier, perhaps never feeling ill themselves, as it was spread around from person to person. Some of that transmission may have occurred during shortened Mardi Gras season and people didn't know they had the virus or didn't know why they were sick.

Rome, Georgia is a relatively small town in the northwest part of the state and they are one of the epicenters for all of Georgia. Someone with the virus attended a funeral, with lots of hand-shaking greetings and hugging, and from there many people have been found to have the virus.

Mardi Gras drew in visitors from outside New Orleans. Some of them brought the virus with them.

And even if they had some symptoms, they were not going to lock themselves inside a motel. They shook it off as a cold, and they joined the fun activities.

I hate using the NYT as a source, but they show a lot of the cases in NO are in nursing homes, and I doubt they were mingling with Mardi Gras travelers. But the employees......

I have not looked up the exact procedure to apply a ventilator down the windpipe, even if I could get one on the black market somehow. I bet I will not be able to DIY this part, or show my wife how to do it.
I think it would be cool to have a contest to build a machine with ventilator-like functionality from non-medical parts during a period of time when it's only "for fun" and not a crisis, and the machine wouldn't be actually used. I pulled labelled parts out of my gas furnace to sell on eBay (furnace was scrapped) and I've currently got a FS6536-866 HK06WC074 TRIDELTA FURNACE AIR PRESSURE SWITCH up there. You probably would need something to sense how much pressure you're pushing with. But that one has just one trigger point...you'd really want a variable one. Furnace parts, air compressor parts, wow, maybe a raspberry pi with the D to A thing on it to control it. I wonder how you'd test it. You'd probably also have to make some artificial lungs.

Anyway, the point of my reply is that if you care to learn about it, you can watch this video, which explains intubation. I've got it cued (not queued) to the point where they start talking about the nuts and bolts of sticking this plastic tube down. It sounds totally not fun. https://youtu.be/FtJr7i7ENMY?t=158
I believe it "can't" be done without the person being "knocked out cold", or the person would completely freak out.

Last edited:
Anyway, the point of my reply is that if you care to learn about it, you can watch this video, which explains intubation. I've got it cued (not queued) to the point where they start talking about the nuts and bolts of sticking this plastic tube down. It sounds totally not fun. https://youtu.be/FtJr7i7ENMY?t=158
I believe it "can't" be done without the person being "knocked out cold", or the person would completely freak out.

Sounds like one should start with something easier first, like a DIY colonoscopy.

We joked about the above a while back with our friend redduck. He has not posted since July 2019. I wonder if he is OK.

Sounds like one should start with something easier first, like a DIY colonoscopy.

We joked about the above a while back with our friend redduck. He has not posted since July 2019. I wonder if he is OK.
Yeah, Gotta wonder about those missing posters. There are a few. But as to making medical equipment, your idea? Way too easy. I could do it in my RV in the boondocks.

Attachments

• tooeasy.jpg
    tooeasy.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 51
The principle of operation of the machine can be simple, but that simplicity can be deceiving. Look at an airplane. Wings for lift, horizontal and vertical tails for stabilization, engines for thrust. Piece of cake, right?

I don't know all the functions of a ventilator, but imagine that it has to measure the pressure of the air, and the flow of air with a certain precision. And being a piece of life-support equipment, it has to meet certain fail-safe criteria. Can't have it just quit and leave the patient suffocated. Or it can pump too strong, and blow up the patient's lungs.

If you had a SCUBA regulator, that's a completely analog device that does what the "Assist Control" mode does, kind of.

I have discovered this week that I actually am living in a “Stepford”-esque community. I live in The Villages but haven’t drunk the kool-aid. In the last two days I’ve been removed from two different forums for posting graphics and data from the World Health Organization.

Reason for removal given was “no negative posts allowed”. I was in shock.

Folks here are continuing to play golf, shop, go to the Squares and play cards with friends. I have group of friends who made fun of DH and I for staying home for the last two weeks.

I pray that the worst case scenario doesn’t happen. We will lose a lot of friends if it does.

Went to local supermarket (Giant Eagle) about 7 PM, got ice cream, cucumber, celery etc.. There were more help than customers. 4 cahiers standing around. Did not look at paper goods isle, bread isle was full as was the meat coolers.

I have discovered this week that I actually am living in a “Stepford”-esque community. I live in The Villages but haven’t drunk the kool-aid. In the last two days I’ve been removed from two different forums for posting graphics and data from the World Health Organization.

Folks here are continuing to play golf, shop, go to the Squares and play cards with friends. I have group of friends who made fun of DH and I for staying home for the last two weeks.

I pray that the worst case scenario doesn’t happen. We will lose a lot of friends if it does.

There is a portion of the population that clearly believes this whole thing is overblown. It often does not sink in until they see first hand someone they know get very sick and die.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people’s mistakes.

Unfortunately, really smart people also have to be extra cautious during this virus to stay away from those who think they know better.

There is a portion of the population that clearly believes this whole thing is overblown. It often does not sink in until they see first hand someone they know get very sick and die.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people’s mistakes.

Unfortunately, really smart people also have to be extra cautious during this virus to stay away from those who think they know better.

Overblown or serious? As my dive buddy with MS likes to say, embrace the healing power of AND.

Out of curiosity, I just checked. They found 5 cases of community spread inside the Villages. That is in addition to 16 cases bringing the virus back from traveling.

This coronavirus is like coachroaches. If you see one, there may be many more that you don't. I will be watching this to see how it goes.

Stay isolated, and stay well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom