Old Guy Workout Program

When I do intervals, my "on" time is about 30 seconds which matches his. My rest interval is much longer than his 1 minute. IMHO, the only way you can do a 1 minute rest is if your "on" is not that intense. Mostly I have 1.5 to 2 minutes rest. OR sometimes, I will let the rest time go until my heart rate drops to around 60% of my max - regardless of time.

But whatever workout motivates you.

And when I do HIIT, I am so drained, I can't do a bunch of other exercises. So, my workout would be walk or treadmill for 10 minute warm up plus whatever stretches I need to do for the primary HIIT device. The HIIT is 30 seconds killing it and about a 2 minute rest. 10 reps. Cool down. Maybe if I am feeling like I have energy I will do light lifting involving weights or machines not using the HIIT muscles.

I do HIIT using a rowing machine, a SkiErg, and sprints on a level surface/track.

I'm not a fan of his lifting split. Day 1 is chest/back, day 2 is lower body, day 3 is shoulders and arms. He's doing twice as much upper body training as lower body.

I split my lifting into upper and lower body. I do cardio (running) on alternate days but often skip cardio on lower body days. I find that at 58 I can still maintain/build muscle with 3 days rest between body parts. So my typical routine is this:

- day 1: upper body, cardio
- day 2: lower body
- day 3: cardio
- day 4: off
- repeat

Vince Gironda's advice

The late bodybuilder trainer Vince Gironda (Google him) trained literally thousands of men in his life at Vice's Gym in North Hollywood. For men over 40, he advised the following: 3 syets of 6-8 reps, three times a week. He was against running as he said it screwed up your male hormone levels. Vince had a great many routines and diet plans depending on your goals. He knew what he was talking about and when he spoke the stars listened. Carl Weathers, Burt Reynolds, OJ Simpson, Clint Eastwood, and many others trained at Vince's Gym at one time or another. Early in his career, Charles Buschinski (later known as Bronson) also worked out there.

When I do intervals, my "on" time is about 30 seconds which matches his. My rest interval is much longer than his 1 minute. IMHO, the only way you can do a 1 minute rest is if your "on" is not that intense. Mostly I have 1.5 to 2 minutes rest. OR sometimes, I will let the rest time go until my heart rate drops to around 60% of my max - regardless of time.

But whatever workout motivates you.

And when I do HIIT, I am so drained, I can't do a bunch of other exercises. So, my workout would be walk or treadmill for 10 minute warm up plus whatever stretches I need to do for the primary HIIT device. The HIIT is 30 seconds killing it and about a 2 minute rest. 10 reps. Cool down. Maybe if I am feeling like I have energy I will do light lifting involving weights or machines not using the HIIT muscles.

I do HIIT using a rowing machine, a SkiErg, and sprints on a level surface/track.

After Covid, probably will need to reduce the lbs I lift and it will require more recovery time. My HIT is done on a concept 2 rowing machine, but I do it on a day devoted to stretching and its the last thing I do before getting on one of the vibratory machines. Also, I get to sprint when playing softball, but that is gone for now due to Covid.

I'm not a fan of his lifting split. Day 1 is chest/back, day 2 is lower body, day 3 is shoulders and arms. He's doing twice as much upper body training as lower body.

I split my lifting into upper and lower body. I do cardio (running) on alternate days but often skip cardio on lower body days. I find that at 58 I can still maintain/build muscle with 3 days rest between body parts. So my typical routine is this:

- day 1: upper body, cardio
- day 2: lower body
- day 3: cardio
- day 4: off
- repeat

I like that he was limiting the types of lifts in on day 1 and day 2 to just two exercises. His day 3 indicated option throw in an exercise like calfs which would create more balance between upper and lower. I am getting old and just cannot do much anymore, including needing more recovery time to keep from getting so sore.

I like that he was limiting the types of lifts in on day 1 and day 2 to just two exercises. His day 3 indicated option throw in an exercise like calfs which would create more balance between upper and lower. I am getting old and just cannot do much anymore, including needing more recovery time to keep from getting so sore.

I need the recovery time too, which is why I only lift every 2nd day and split it in half, so it's 3 days of rest before those muscles are worked again.

I also do limited exercises but they're all compound movements. Upper body will be bench, dumbbell, or overhead presses or a combination for about 8 sets, and then chin-ups or rows for 8 sets. Lower body will be squats, deadlifts, or lunges or a combination totaling 8 or so sets....warmups not included.

My cardio is light...jog for 5 minutes to warm up, run for about 10-15 minutes tossing in a few intervals at the end, then a short cooldown.

I cant wait to get back in the gym. Not only that but I am looking forward to BJJ again. I aint choked me a man in two months!!!

When I return to the gym after Covid, I am going to try this workout plan which is designed for older folks who previously had more vigorous routines.

I glanced at the referenced website and laughed. Sorry, old guys: beefcake is not synonymous with good health (2016 U.S. stats: 800k+ annual deaths from cardiovascular disease, with 600k+ of those cardiac). Cardio always has been, and always will be, the core of my exercise routine. Strength training is something I do "on the side".

I "formally" exercise every-other-day. On my "off" days, I do informal exercise, such as going for a walk. This routine has served me well for years. YMMV. :popcorn:

I glanced at the referenced website and laughed. Sorry, old guys: beefcake is not synonymous with good health (2016 U.S. stats: 800k+ annual deaths from cardiovascular disease, with 600k+ of those cardiac). Cardio always has been, and always will be, the core of my exercise routine. Strength training is something I do "on the side".

I "formally" exercise every-other-day. On my "off" days, I do informal exercise, such as going for a walk. This routine has served me well for years. YMMV. :popcorn:

I always laugh at those that claim you don't any cardio related benefit from resistance training.

Sounds a lot like me. I've always naturally gravitated to more aerobic exercise than strength training. It's really hard for me to stick with a 2-3 times-per-week weight routine for more than 2-3 months at a time without a lengthy break whereas I've been doing various forms of cardio/aerobic exercise regularly my whole adult life. As I've gotten older (now 75), I also find myself working out more on the "hard-easy" principle where I'll do a really vigorous workout one day followed by a lighter one the next. The lighter workout might just be a 45-60 minute brisk walk or a half hour on an elliptical or a C2 rower. Without the gym, it's been mostly walking on the lighter days.

I see fitness and health as a 3 tier triangle...you need strength training, cardio, and diet. You're not really fit if you can run a half marathon in 1:45 but can't manage to do 10 pushups. Or, you can bench press 300 pounds but get winded going up a flight of stairs.

I see fitness and health as a 3 tier triangle...you need strength training, cardio, and diet. You're not really fit if you can run a half marathon in 1:45 but can't manage to do 10 pushups. Or, you can bench press 300 pounds but get winded going up a flight of stairs.

I agree. Have to have balance.

Back
Top Bottom