computer shuts off

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK.....this is strange. I just went on my computer to send a Zelle transaction to someone and as I started to put in amount my computer shut off. I start up computer and do it again and same thing happens. I then go to my Vanguard account to test a stock sale and same thing....computer shuts off. What is wrong here? I don't have a clue. Any ideas folks....weird.:facepalm:

OK.....this is strange. I just went on my computer to send a Zelle transaction to someone and as I started to put in amount my computer shut off. I start up computer and do it again and same thing happens. I then go to my Vanguard account to test a stock sale and same thing....computer shuts off. What is wrong here? I don't have a clue. Any ideas folks....weird.:facepalm:

Windows or Mac?

Does the problem appear with any other program, or just your web browser? Try a different web browser if you have one. You may need to upgrade or reinstall your web browser.

I would start by scanning your system for viruses and malware. Clear the cache and history in your web browser. Disable any add-on's in your web browser. Maybe restart your computer in safe mode and see if the problem continues.

You may want to check your hard drive for errors, and maybe even scan for memory errors.

Low and behold now it is working...Geez, I thought my accounts were being frozen. Maybe a temporary glitch

May be a heat issue. Could be the the computer automatically shutting down to protect the cpu from frying.

I had a desktop computer exhibit those same symptoms.
A close examination of the motherboard found a series of bulging/leaking capacitors. After replacing the caps all was well.
On two laptops I had shutdown issues traced back to a memory and a hard drive seating problem. If I recall correctly, there were cryptic error codes in those cases.
Other possibilities are software problems as mentioned and overheating CPU issues.

May be a heat issue. Could be the the computer automatically shutting down to protect the cpu from frying.

Good call. You may want to use something like Core Temp - https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ or Open Hardware Monitor https://openhardwaremonitor.org/ to check your CPU temps. It's possible you have a defective fan, or maybe your computer is just dirty inside.

One other thought, maybe your computer was installing updates and shutting down? Long shot, but possible.

Thanks everyone. Computer is still on and seems fine. That being said....it is a Toshiba laptop about at least 7 yrs old.:)

I don't know though about overheating because it was shutting off at the precise time I entered a number.:confused:

Intermittant fan issue? Was the unit on a desk, flat surface,or sitting on chair or sofa where the fabric would cover the exterior of the fan area?

I have an older laptop (6+ years old) that if you ever so slightly move the screen while on battery-only power, the laptop will power off. Not exactly sure where the short is, but if I have the AC adapter plugged in, it doesn't happen.

Other than that, I would suspect the CPU overheating or maybe a failure with the power supply through the laptop's battery.

Thanks everyone. Computer is still on and seems fine. That being said....it is a Toshiba laptop about at least 7 yrs old.:)

My Dell laptop was shutting itself down intermittently. I could feel that the bottom was pretty hot, so I raised it a couple of inches off the table for better airflow.

Just for grins and giggles, vacuum all the grills. Never hurts to do that.

When mine did this, the blue crash screen had a message that it had detected an overheating issue. YMMV.

I once fixed a desktop for a relative that had an overheating issue. Ended up the cpu fans wasn't seated properly and needed some fresh thermal paste on the cpu.

The symptom was after the desktop was turned on, within about 30-45 minutes, the computer would shut off. The test my theory, I used (as mountainsoft suggested) a cpu monitoring program and kept track of the temp before the computer shut down to identify that pattern (high temp, computer takes a dive).

I've never had a laptop shut down for high temps. I have noticed when I feel high keyboard temps there is a definite slowing of processing speed. Every couple of years I have to open up the laptop and blow the caked on dust off the CPU fan itself, not just the grilles. The laptop works faster for another year or so.

Maybe OP's computer was in the middle of an update.

I have a friend who only uses their computer now and then, so they turn it on, and start doing stuff.
Often the computer is slow or wants to install something because it has not been on for a week.

I tell my friend, turn on your computer, and go watch tv at least once per week.

That way it won't be slow or reboot or install software while you are trying to do something.

For an older laptop the first question is are you getting battery errors? How long will it run on battery. For that old a laptop it is quite likley the battery is dead and you are running on ac power. The plug that goes into the computer from the brick could have worn a bit and typing could make it wiggle a bit and a power cut occurs. This happened on a 10 year old hp laptop I have, it would go dark and then reboot immediately. It seemed to do this when I typed a long command.

Years ago on a desktop I had that occur from heat due to a buildup of dust. My housekeeping was spotty.

Back
Top Bottom