Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
And a little wine preserver gas when the level gets low or decant to a smaller bottle with less air.

Expensive bottles are for people who don’t want to drink too much [emoji3]

Yeah, I agree. I just found out after storing a lot of bottles in the shed for a couple years (removed the bar) and have been "going through" the stash - :)

Yeah.

I'mma gonna try to not have one again for a while. Was part of the whole "home improvement - remodel" thing.

At that price they are definitely not ‘shots’. Expect a 35ml dram to last an hour or two. 30mins in the glass before you even taste.

See proper nerd stuff

Also the bottle will last many years

I never "knock back" a shot, even with common booze. It's barbaric.

I am a Cognac drinker and have the right glasses for sipping. But I cannot make a shot last an hour. Not even 5 minutes. I am too impatient. Good thing I limit myself to $10/shot.

Yeah, the great thing with spirits is they keep a long time. Keep out of sunlight, keep the cap on and don't worry about the (normal) temperature.

Good spirits are something I enjoy in my advancing years. Good flavor and no burn. I don't buy booze under $30 unless I know I like it.

Cheap booze was back in my working days.

RobbieB, You are my hero.

I always associate ‘shot’ with a single gulp. Also shot glasses are terrible if you want to sip

They aren’t winnings until you leave the table and cash out! So I’m using some of that logic to avoid being too frugal in ER.

We’re staying for a month in an ownership RV resort, renting from the lot’s owner. This is the longest we’ve booked for a single spot since getting into RVing almost 8 years ago. DW was worried we’d get bored or have other challenges. Not in the least, I think there have only been 3 naps since getting here on the 1st.

We stayed a week at a very different ownership RV resort years ago and it planted the seed to consider ownership somewhere down the road. Well, down the road is happening (if the pieces fall into place). We found a For Sale by Owner lot and struck a deal, and I’m trying to find a title company to take on the details.

What really qualifies as BTD is the deal is a move-in ready package with a large fifth wheel trailer too. It was purchased in early 2020 and moved in place by the dealer and hasn’t rolled a foot since then. We don’t ‘need’ a second RV, but the possibilities were too fun to pass up. The new one has an extra half-bath and a dual vanity master bath. The lot’s location in the park means we only have a direct neighbor on the side away from the door.

We could flip the RV today and come out okay, but even if we make that choice in another year or two the experience will likely be worth the depreciation. We have a nephew who recently bought a traditional vacation home in the same town, so we’ll have the opportunity for family time in addition to play time.

Wish us luck on getting this to the finish line (or really the official staring line for us)!

Best regards,
Chris

Going out to see a 33 foot Chris Craft on Friday - :)

Arggghh! A whisky like that shouldn't need any water (I am "neat only" whisky guy :D). I still have a bottle of 1982 Brora that I bought in 2002 right at the Brora distillery, which was then owned by Clynelish. It is saved for special occasions. My go to favorite whisky is still Longrow 14 year old Campbellton malt.

I always thought that as well about drinking it straight, but the best distillery will recommend tiny tiny amounts of water.

I never "knock back" a shot, even with common booze. It's barbaric.

I am a Cognac drinker and have the right glasses for sipping. But I cannot make a shot last an hour. Not even 5 minutes. I am too impatient. Good thing I limit myself to $10/shot.

Recommend a really good smooth cognac? I’ve had the regular XOs etc, but wondering what you prefer.

Yes, of course!

Guy needs to move, needs to sell, price is below market and here I am - :)

Wants 25 grand for the boat, head, sinks, kitchen, stereo, sleeps 3. Parked in a slip that costs less than the storage shed I was renting.

Arggghh! A whisky like that shouldn't need any water (I am "neat only" whisky guy :D). I still have a bottle of 1982 Brora that I bought in 2002 right at the Brora distillery, which was then owned by Clynelish. It is saved for special occasions. My go to favorite whisky is still Longrow 14 year old Campbellton malt.

Neat only is an unnecessary restriction. Whisky is 50% water any way [emoji3]

That Longrow 14 sherry is a monster. Like chewing on fireworks. Lovely 🥃

I kinda like the 60% water stuff better. Once it goes past 86 proof it get a little too strong for my pipes - :)

We didn't really need it. Our 2018 CR-V with 63K miles was doing fine. It was just getting cramped when we travelled out west for a month every spring, and then bought stuff to bring home. We bring the dog too, and she takes up about half of the rear seat. I carry a lot of photography and hiking gear. We also loved the 34-5 mpg we would get on these trips. With all the miles, that was important to us.

There was only one vehicle that had more cargo room with the same mileage - a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We liked the Limited AWD in pearl. But dealers have nothing available and you can't place orders, either. For a couple months we had a few dealers looking, but they couldn't get what we wanted. Now and then they would get allocated a vehicle, but we were not willing to settle for something we were not happy with.

On Dec. 5 we decided to revise what was Ok with us, and I started calling around again with the update. We were calling as far as 1 1/2 hours away. The second closest dealer had just gotten their new allocation a few hours before, and there was a 2022 model that was a 98% fit. If we hadn't happened to call just when we did they would have gone to their waiting list. We put a deposit on it and picked it up Monday. :dance:
It didn't hurt that we sold the CR-V for 90% of what we paid for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (229) copy.jpg
    Screenshot (229) copy.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 98
^ that is a beauty.

Yes, of course!

Wants 25 grand for the boat, head, sinks, kitchen, stereo, sleeps 3. Parked in a slip that costs less than the storage shed I was renting.

Wow!
You might get into a cabin/sleeper cheaper than you paid for the first boat, when you sell it.

We didn't really need it. Our 2018 CR-V with 63K miles was doing fine. It was just getting cramped when we travelled out west for a month every spring, and then bought stuff to bring home. We bring the dog too, and she takes up about half of the rear seat. I carry a lot of photography and hiking gear. We also loved the 34-5 mpg we would get on these trips. With all the miles, that was important to us.

There was only one vehicle that had more cargo room with the same mileage - a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We liked the Limited AWD in pearl. But dealers have nothing available and you can't place orders, either. For a couple months we had a few dealers looking, but they couldn't get what we wanted. Now and then they would get allocated a vehicle, but we were not willing to settle for something we were not happy with.

On Dec. 5 we decided to revise what was Ok with us, and I started calling around again with the update. We were calling as far as 1 1/2 hours away. The second closest dealer had just gotten their new allocation a few hours before, and there was a 2022 model that was a 98% fit. If we hadn't happened to call just when we did they would have gone to their waiting list. We put a deposit on it and picked it up Monday. :dance:
It didn't hurt that we sold the CR-V for 90% of what we paid for it.
Good looking vehicle,my wife's 2019 Toy HiHY is going in for her last 2yr. complimentary service the 10th of Jan. with only 13300 miles on it, she will be driving it for a long time to come. The last time we were in they wanted to know if she would like to sell it or trade it because a lot of people were looking for one like it. She said no way, try me in about 10 years.:LOL:

Recommend a really good smooth cognac? I’ve had the regular XOs etc, but wondering what you prefer.

Among the XO of the big names like Hennessy, Remy Martin, Martell, etc... I don't have a preference. My palate is not that fine.

More than 10 years ago, my younger brothers and I had a blind taste after a holiday dinner. After a round of blind tasting of different bottles, we revisited the XO, VSOP, and VS bottles of the same house, and agreed that after a few shots we could still tell the inferior VS from the higher grades, but the XO and VSOP were getting a lot closer.

We did a repeat blind taste again a few years ago, this time with our sons and sons-in-law participating. My son and son-in-law preferred the bottle of Remy Martin Centaure that I brought back from the town of Cognac (because this bottle is harder to find in the US). I could not tell the difference with the other bottle of Remy Martin XO. The guide at the Remy Martin cellar told me that the Centaure was a different blend for a different flavor. It was lost on me. My son on the other hand could pick out the Centaure every time in a blind taste (I was dubious and made him try). Maybe I could do the same when not stuffed full of food and so much drink.

But back on your question of "smoothness", the French XOs bottles of $150+ are all smooth as a baby's a** to me. And after the first couple of shots, slip me another shot of VSOP of 1/3 the price, and I would not notice.

PS. Just now looked and saw that Total Wine has the Remy Martin Tercet, which must be a new blend. I am not excited to try it out though with my worn-out palate.

Last edited:
I think this Camus was my fav back in the day. Must be popular, they are out of stock.

Yes, of course!

Hopefully it looks good Robbie. I wish I were closer to check that out. Dad and I built boats from designs. I watch those ads and do a bit of dreaming, but ultimately it fits in the category of not quite a thing for us.
What vintage and power? Would you sell the other boat soon or go the route of a personal flotilla?

Well, somewhere in between crab legs and a ski trip, I finally bought a 3D printer. So far I've printed countless useless items, but it's fun and keeps me busy. :)

Hopefully it looks good Robbie. I wish I were closer to check that out. Dad and I built boats from designs. I watch those ads and do a bit of dreaming, but ultimately it fits in the category of not quite a thing for us.
What vintage and power? Would you sell the other boat soon or go the route of a personal flotilla?

If I end up with the new one, I'll probably sell the current one as it is bigger than needed for a "fishing boat", but too small to overnight. The 33 footer has a stove, shower, macerator toilet, sinks, fridge, stuff to be comfy. The 33 is a 1975 and has twin 350's inboard with V drives, dual rudders, and flying bridge, and radar. Also anchor winch.

Then get me a smaller "fishing" boat.

The 33 is seaworthy, I wouldn't worry about taking it out the golden gate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom