Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Blow That Dough! -2021 (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/blow-that-dough-2021-a-107327.html)

RobbieB 10-10-2021 07:02 PM

After we took the boat out my boat dude asked if I wanted anything else done, yeah replace the gas filler. So he gets out my work order, just so I'm prepared ya know and it $2700, about what I was expecting. Be 3 grand when he delivers it to my marina.

So;

Boat $6800
Repairs $3000
Stereo $1000
And with the new tacho and multi gauge I ordered, call it;

Eleven grand

Being out on the river - priceless - :)

street 10-10-2021 09:00 PM

^ so many things now for me, as I age are invaluable. Their is a difference between need and want but if you can why not, even if you don't need it. I tell myself if it makes me happy and will get enjoyment from something, then you should get it and enjoy it before we can't enjoy it any more.

JP.mpls 10-11-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2673949)
After we took the boat out my boat dude asked if I wanted anything else done, yeah replace the gas filler. So he gets out my work order, just so I'm prepared ya know and it $2700, about what I was expecting. Be 3 grand when he delivers it to my marina.

So;

Boat $6800
Repairs $3000
Stereo $1000
And with the new tacho and multi gauge I ordered, call it;

Eleven grand

Being out on the river - priceless - :)

Robbie,
After I purchased a cabin, I decided a boat was necessary.
I tried getting by with an old runabout my father had, but I worked on it more than I ever used it.
I went out and splurged on a new boat. It was a very extravagant move for me, but I have no regrets doing it.
My friends tease me, because I prefer swimming off the boat over fishing. I just don't care. I anchor in a calm deep bay that I like, crack open a cold beer, and dive in. It is very silly, but also pure genius.
Enjoy your boat.
JP

stephenson 10-11-2021 01:42 PM

Sold the 2018 Key West 239 few months ago - and, then the 2017 truck I bought to pull it.

Bought 2021 Subaru Ascent and looking for a smaller boat that does not require a first officer/admiral. Ascent will pull so won't need truck.

Have finished most of the research on a car to replace the admiral's Saab 9-3 convertible. ... either BMW M3 (E46) or M4 (F83) .... six speed manual!

RobbieB 10-11-2021 01:59 PM

This is the first boat I've owned that you could do this in, has a transom platform with a 2 rung folding and telescoping ladder that stows under the platform.

pb4uski 10-11-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2Fish (Post 2672090)
Same here. Been using them in my running, walking and hiking shoes. Plantar fasciitis ended when I started wearing the arch supports.

Ditto for DW.

pb4uski 10-11-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolau (Post 2673105)
Upon return to Paradise, I turned on the TV and Cable box. Both came on just fine. I started to get rid of some DVR'd programs that "slipped" through (thought I'd halted all the recordings). Suddenly, TV went black. I played with it for a couple of hours (Unplug, wait, plug back in. Unplug, wait, push "on" button for 10 seconds, plug back in. Etc., etc.) SO yesterday, went to Costco and plunked down $400 plus tax for a new TV of same size - has to fit the wall mount. That was LESS than the TV that the new one replaces AND the new set is light years ahead in quality and features (and brand name.) Still, for us, that's sort of BTD kind of experience, though YMMV since Costco had TVs for $3K!

Silly... just buy a bigger, beefier wall mount for a bigger HDTV... this is the BTD thread!

pb4uski 10-11-2021 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2673310)
How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

How do you know the rest of the steel pipes won't start leaking soon ?

My Mom's summer home that Dad built in 1962 has 4" copper drain pipe. I figure plan Z for Mom's nursing home costs is to replace the copper with Sch 40 and sell the copper.

pb4uski 10-11-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbieB (Post 2674277)
This is the first boat I've owned that you could do this in, has a transom platform with a 2 rung folding and telescoping ladder that stows under the platform.

I'm scared that some day I'm going to have a brain fart and jump into the pond off of our pontoon boat without putting in the ladder... I'm not totally sure if I could make it back into the boat without the ladder.

RobbieB 10-11-2021 02:26 PM

I'm totally sure I couldn't - :)

Koolau 10-11-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb4uski (Post 2674280)
Silly... just buy a bigger, beefier wall mount for a bigger HDTV... this is the BTD thread!

Heh, heh, took the words right out of my mouth. Unfortunately... DW has final say on what happens to all walls - and she said no more concrete screws and no bigger TV mounting. Live with it!

BTD would be a divorce - I'm not prepared to go that big on BTD.:laugh:

Anyway, I always get the last word in every argument: "Yes, dear." YMMV

RobbieB 10-11-2021 02:44 PM

Generally the mounts are adaptable and the TV of today don't weigh much.

pb4uski 10-11-2021 03:53 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing? How much does a new bigger tv weigh compared to the old tv weight?

ncbill 10-12-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunset (Post 2673310)
How strange, I've never heard of all steel drain pipes, cast iron and PVC are the only ones I've known.

How do you know the rest of the steel pipes won't start leaking soon ?

Had a rental house (originally a farmhouse) built 1940 with all galvanized pipes...fortunately it was only one level with an unfinished basement so everything was exposed.

Hired a guy who was doing galvanized to copper at the local hospital to do the same for me on the side...still a few thousand bucks all told.

skyking1 10-12-2021 09:00 AM

~3 weeks ago we BTD on a DNA test not covered by insurance for DW. She was actually hesitant to do it and I made the case for her. Mission accomplished!

GravitySucks 10-13-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyking1 (Post 2674520)
~3 weeks ago we BTD on a DNA test not covered by insurance for DW. She was actually hesitant to do it and I made the case for her. Mission accomplished!

Hope all turns out well.

Went through this with my DW and the insurance company too. They would not cover the procedure without a DNA test and wouldnt pay for a DNA test. After the test came back saying she would be helped with the medicine I wrote a couple letters and the insurer did reimburse us some. Never hurts to ask.

Also hope the prices went down considering you can have a dog tested for $80 these days seems to make the $6000 (2010, so I might be off by a bit.) seem a bit out of line.

pjigar 10-16-2021 07:11 AM

I need to start a large vegetable garden next year on our acreage for the next year and would need to haul a lot of material (dirt, compost, sand, etc.). I can rent a dump trailer but rent is not cheap. My solution? Bought a small (5'x10') 3 yards dump trailer for $6000! I figure I can always sell it when I don't need it. Right? Ya right!

pjigar 10-16-2021 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2674512)
Had a rental house (originally a farmhouse) built 1940 with all galvanized pipes...fortunately it was only one level with an unfinished basement so everything was exposed.

Hired a guy who was doing galvanized to copper at the local hospital to do the same for me on the side...still a few thousand bucks all told.

If it is still in progress, I would look at PEX. We had all copper pipes in slab in 30 year old house we gutted. I was worried that they might spring pinhole leaks in future so we ran a new plumbing is the attic while renovating the house. PEX pipes are very resilient and easy to install/fix.

wmc1000 10-16-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjigar (Post 2675978)
I need to start a large vegetable garden next year on our acreage for the next year and would need to haul a lot of material (dirt, compost, sand, etc.). I can rent a dump trailer but rent is not cheap. My solution? Bought a small (5'x10') 3 yards dump trailer for $6000! I figure I can always sell it when I don't need it. Right? Ya right!

Good Job! Just an FYI. When loading keep more weight behind the area where the hydraulic ram mounts to the bed than what you load in front of the ram mount.

How do I know you ask? My SIL has the 7x14' version dump trailer and we loaded it up to move some excess dirt left over from our post frame building construction. Drove to where he was going to dump it for future use and yep, you guessed it the ram wouldn't lift the load! We than had to go and get a backhoe to offload a good portion of the front before the ram would dump the rest. This was a new dump trailer and we learned a good lesson from its maiden use. :laugh:

Ronstar 10-16-2021 08:43 PM

Ordered a new festool oscillating sander. With a load of woodworking projects and few sanding masks, I got a sander with a vacuum attachment.