Name a recent Rock and Roll song you like.

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's a truism that as we get older most of us lose the thread of popular music and stop enjoying much new stuff. That's certainly true of me. I liked a lot of music (mostly some flavor of what would be called 'rock' or 'folk') through the 2000s, but in the last decade finding anything new I would actually listen to voluntarily became a rarity.

This thread is mostly to ask other folks here for suggestions: Rock songs from, let's say, the past 5 years that you honestly like as much as stuff from previous decades (not the ones you can kinda make yourself like if you try hard enough - I have plenty of those).

What prompted this is that I actually heard a new song I liked a lot on the radio today - for the first time in years. Kinda punky, kinda hilarious. I really like these gals. If you guys have heard other great stuff, post it here and let me know.

The only recent R&R songs I have heard and actually like are from Tool's 2019 album, Fear Inoculum. The best song on the album is Pneuma.

https://youtu.be/5ClCaPmAA7s

I also love some fairly recent stuff by Radiohead, but it's not really mainstream "rock and roll". More like experimental/alt/indie/art rock. They released an excellent album, A Moon Shaped Pool, in 2016.

Last edited:
They are new to me: Believer by Imagine Dragons, Viva la Vida by Coldplay, Beggin' by Maneskin, Astronaut in the Ocean by Masked Wolf.

A thread I can really dig.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I recently discovered the incredibly talented Leo Moracchioli who takes all kinds of songs and turns them into R&R metal. He plays all the instruments and is full of energy

A little outside of the time frame (2014), but Robert Plant's Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar is incredible.

Jeff Beck's Loud Hailer (2016) - really the whole set list is fantastic.

The rise of rocking women who can sing the heck out of anything including rock (Amy Lee, Floor Jansen, Tarja Turunen)

I like bands that produce a big, orchestrated sound like Arcade Fire. A band that's fairly new to me, DeVotchKa, was slated to perform in my area tonight (I had tickets), but the show was postponed till November. Here's a 2018 video. Is it rock or rhumba?

Love this thread. Brett-Cameron, I also like Måneskin. I loved the song they did for Eurovision and had it on repeat for a while. Beggin is a fun song. I need to watch the SNL performance.

I also have seen and really like Greta Van Fleet (please hold the Zeppelin rip off comments, heard them all). The new album is The Battle at Garden's Gate and they are really coming into their own, but From the Fires was great too. Safari Song, Highway Tune.. good stuff.

The Swedish band Ghost is really cool, they have a new album as well. Saw them several years ago.

Finally, not in the rock category, but I can't get enough Billie Eilish and her new album Happier Than Ever. Loved the first one too (When we all fall Asleep) Taking my nephew to see her in a couple of weeks I can't wait!! Been waiting two years since the March 2020 show was canceled. Fortunately the venue requires vax cards. Of course hundreds of people singing along is not ideal but hopefully masking and being vaxxed and boosted will be OK.

There's not a lot of new rock music. Then again, I get stuck in ruts on Sirius xm.

It's a truism that as we get older most of us lose the thread of popular music and stop enjoying much new stuff. That's certainly true of me. I liked a lot of music (mostly some flavor of what would be called 'rock' or 'folk') through the 2000s, but in the last decade finding anything new I would actually listen to voluntarily became a rarity.

This thread is mostly to ask other folks here for suggestions: Rock songs from, let's say, the past 5 years that you honestly like as much as stuff from previous decades (not the ones you can kinda make yourself like if you try hard enough - I have plenty of those).

What prompted this is that I actually heard a new song I liked a lot on the radio today - for the first time in years. Kinda punky, kinda hilarious. I really like these gals. If you guys have heard other great stuff, post it here and let me know.

So true, I keep listening to the 70's and 80's as it's so hard to find something that sounds great.

That sounds pretty good, reminds me of European music/singers I've heard before a long time ago.

I don't listen to the radio much, mostly stream and new music I find off of streams are usually already "old" that I either forgot or unfortunately missed. I'm sure there are some newer songs I like but without DJs unless I pick up the device I'll miss the artist.

Not super new but not super old... I listen to this regularly as it captures the feeling of freedom I feel now that I'm FIRED!

If I think of something within the last couple years I'll edit to add... just can't think of "new" stuff on my first cup of tea.

That uncle Kracker song brings back fond memories. If I close my eyes, I can just hear the window glass rattling in that '76 Cutlass 5 minutes after closing the door :p

Seriously though, cool song and video. I'd never heard/seen it before, so thanks for posting it!

Once Disco became popular I pretty much quit listening to music on the radio so I will be interested in following this thread in the off chance of finding something worth while. There have been a few recording artists that I liked but generally limited since they appeared to be one hit wonders and were never given enough credit for future recordings as they were crowded out by rap or some kind of head banging "music".
Looking forward to reading posts that lead to music that would appeal to me.

Cheers!

The Struts. They have three albums out in the past few years and are eerily reminiscent of 70's glam.

Not rock, but very recent - I really like a lot of stuff from BTS and The Weeknd

I also have seen and really like Greta Van Fleet (please hold the Zeppelin rip off comments, heard them all). The new album is The Battle at Garden's Gate and they are really coming into their own, but From the Fires was great too. Safari Song, Highway Tune.. good stuff.

I like GVF as well. But, Led Zep said that they really like and enjoy their music.

-BB

The Struts. They have three albums out in the past few years and are eerily reminiscent of 70's glam.

Yes erKevin! The Struts are really good. New York Dolls vibe. The did some funny videos during lockdown too.

Nice. I would have thought that a, you know, chaise longue might have appeared somewhere in that video! :D

I've always enjoyed TOTO. I think this song was released in the last 5 years. Not much I like recently tho.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom