Name a recent Rock and Roll song you like.

I try and find current music I like. Mostly stuff that reminds me of music I grew up on. Some artists I like:
Gin Wigmore
Lana Del Rey
Nickel Creek
Royal Blood
The Black Keys
Tove Lo
White Rabbits

It's a truism that as we get older most of us lose the thread of popular music and stop enjoying much new stuff. That's certainly true of me. I liked a lot of music (mostly some flavor of what would be called 'rock' or 'folk') through the 2000s, but in the last decade finding anything new I would actually listen to voluntarily became a rarity.

This thread is mostly to ask other folks here for suggestions: Rock songs from, let's say, the past 5 years that you honestly like as much as stuff from previous decades (not the ones you can kinda make yourself like if you try hard enough - I have plenty of those).

What prompted this is that I actually heard a new song I liked a lot on the radio today - for the first time in years. Kinda punky, kinda hilarious. I really like these gals. If you guys have heard other great stuff, post it here and let me know.

Here's a few modern artists you might like.

Lily Allen
Meiko
Anya Marina

I love Lily Allen's lyrics

Alice In Chains, not that new but great harmony and love the acoustic bass

How about a Austin Band

'Wild' comes from the new album "Lucifer on the Sofa"

Billy Strings is about as good as I have ever heard in my life. His song Away from the Mire is great. Will be seeing him live in April, cant wait!

Last edited:
Another "newer band"- (already around a decade or so) I really enjoy is Alabama Shakes

Here's another from Billy Strings an original and a cover.

Billy Strings is amazing... not rock and roll exactly but man he rocks flatpicking. Molly Tuttle too if we're expanding genres. I really like the Dead South too.

Now that I'm taking guitar lessons (still far from being a player) I appreciate their talent even more.

Love this thread. Brett-Cameron, I also like Måneskin. I loved the song they did for Eurovision and had it on repeat for a while. Beggin is a fun song. I need to watch the SNL performance.

I also have seen and really like Greta Van Fleet (please hold the Zeppelin rip off comments, heard them all). The new album is The Battle at Garden's Gate and they are really coming into their own, but From the Fires was great too. Safari Song, Highway Tune.. good stuff.

The Swedish band Ghost is really cool, they have a new album as well. Saw them several years ago.

Finally, not in the rock category, but I can't get enough Billie Eilish and her new album Happier Than Ever. Loved the first one too (When we all fall Asleep) Taking my nephew to see her in a couple of weeks I can't wait!! Been waiting two years since the March 2020 show was canceled. Fortunately the venue requires vax cards. Of course hundreds of people singing along is not ideal but hopefully masking and being vaxxed and boosted will be OK.

There's not a lot of new rock music. Then again, I get stuck in ruts on Sirius xm.
+1. I like GVF and don't mind the LZ comparison. It's refreshing to hear a current rock band harken back to the days when everything in rock n roll was still new.

I like bands that produce a big, orchestrated sound like Arcade Fire. A band that's fairly new to me, DeVotchKa, was slated to perform in my area tonight (I had tickets), but the show was postponed till November. Here's a 2018 video. Is it rock or rhumba?
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of DeVotchKa but I really like them.
It made me think of DakhaBrakha, a Ukrainian band that came from some art center project - not rock, not quite folk, very eclectic - maybe you'd like them:

https://youtu.be/gGW7lLbx8kE

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of DeVotchKa but I really like them.
It made me think of DakhaBrakha, a Ukrainian band that came from some art center project - not rock, not quite folk, very eclectic - maybe you'd like them.

Love the hats! Years ago we attended a concert by the Bulgarian Women's choir. The women singing in the band remind me of the choir -- I think it's the key they sing in. Very Slavic.

I caught this guy's act in a basement in Madison, Wis., a couple years ago.

Tedeschi Trucks band
I just found this and in the middle of this concert,

<iframe width="1004" height="565" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can't think of one current song that appeals to me. Full disclosure: I don't listen to the radio as I once did. YMMV

Not a new band, but a new tune. Couple really solid tracks on the new record. I really like this one, Shame, Shame. By Foo Fighters.
Saw them play in Vegas in December. Incredible 3 hour show.

https://youtu.be/R1G6-RUz3OA

This darn thing stuck in my head for a while when I first heard it:

Back
Top Bottom