Hello I am new but old

old filly

Confused about dryer sheets
Looking to retire in OTOW in Ocala. We are taking the tour in October to see if it's something that we will be able to call home! we are an active couple that has worked very hard all our lives, and now it's time to stop and smell the roses a bit. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about OTOW 55+ community.:dance:

Welcome. There are quite a few threads on the pros and cons of 55+ communities - there isn't one right answer. Great for some, miserable for others (like us). You'll have to decide what's in your best interests after considering the pros and the cons.

I would only add the lifestyle at a newly established 55+ community where the average age may be about 60 yo will be vastly different from a long standing 55+ community where the average age may be more like 75-80 yo. Visiting a 55+ community that was established 20, 30 or 50 years ago was horrifying to us - residents and property condition.

https://vittana.org/18-important-pros-and-cons-of-55-communities

https://www.rocketmortgage.com/learn/pros-and-cons-of-55-communities

Welcome to the forum.

What does OTOW mean? Sorry.
Why are you looking for an over 55 community? Do you live in Ocala now or is that a new community for you? What doesn’t appeal to you of staying where you are?
Do you have kids and grandkids in that area?
Sorry, but we would not look to move from where we are now (very high cost of living area in NJ). Our family and friends and whole social life is here.
Best of luck to you in your search.

Welcome old filly.

We have friends who have lived in 55+ communities, and others who decided against it. There are definitely pros and cons.

Are there specific features of the 55+ community that are appealing to you? My BIL just relocated to Florida - they looked at 5 developments, 2 were 55+. They opted for a non-55+ community because they liked the floor plans better, and it was closer to things they wanted to be near. (Beach, shops, etc.) If it were me, I would do what he did - look at several different communities - including some non 55+ just to see what's out there.

+1 for you, Rodi. We lived in a +55 senior park for 15 years. Through happenstance, we found a new apartment development almost right on the beach.
It is full of younger people walking their big dogs (our park limited dog size). Within 2 miles we have a tremendous choice of restaurants and markets, compared to where we were. Life is good!

Back
Top Bottom