Wow --- Did you see what Isreal did to Syria?

You should worry that if attacked by any of those non existant WMD's floating around the Middle East Isreal will will turn a few places into radioactive glass. Had not Bush senior put patriot missles in Isreal in Gulf War 1 Isreal would have responded with their WMD's had they been attacked with same.

The boys in Iran are playing with fire with their NUC program. If we go after the NUC progam in Iran and Iran launches on Isreal with WMD's you can kiss the most Irianian cities good by.

If we don't go after them in Iran, Isreal will, as it has with Syria and with Iraq when the world would not/could not act.

Let's hope the present US administration is more restrained than USK Coastie's rantings.

Although judging by how he spells 'Israel' I wonder if he isn't GWB himself running up a trial balloon.....

I just love loose talk about nuking people!!!

You should worry that if attacked by any of those non existant WMD's floating around the Middle East Isreal will will turn a few places into radioactive glass. Had not Bush senior put patriot missles in Isreal in Gulf War 1 Isreal would have responded with their WMD's had they been attacked with same.

The boys in Iran are playing with fire with their NUC program. If we go after the NUC progam in Iran and Iran launches on Isreal with WMD's you can kiss the most Irianian cities good by.

If we don't go after them in Iran, Isreal will, as it has with Syria and with Iraq when the world would not/could not act.

To think that my grandchildren would be threatened by such utter nonsense scares the hell out of me.

Israel knows how to do it right ... great intel followed by a precise attack.

Lots of lessons there.

Israel knows how to do it right ... great intel followed by a precise attack.

Lots of lessons there.

yeah, and they're pretty good at bulldozing minority settlements, building walls, and building their own settlements in illegal areas too.

There is lots to admire about Israel, but also lots of which to be critical.

They are the only country I know of that staged an all-out attack on a US ship, and managed to get off the hook by saying "oops--sorry!" It is extremely questionable that this was an accidental attack.

see USS Liberty incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's amazing about this incident is how few remember it. What is clear is that Israel did not want its mobilization for the war it wanted to claim was defensive known by other nations.

My point being that Israel can be depended upon to act in Israel's interest, NOT the United State's interest. Best not to encourage a mean dog to attack unless you are sure you have control of it.

My point being that Israel can be depended upon to act in Israel's interest, NOT the United State's interest. Best not to encourage a mean dog to attack unless you are sure you have control of it.

Given the circumstances surrounding the founding of Israel and the migration of people who came to populate it over the last 100 years or so, it only stands to reason that such a society would defend their interests regardless of how those interests overlap with other countries, and regardless of world opinion generally.

Given the circumstances surrounding the founding of Israel and the migration of people who came to populate it over the last 100 years or so, it only stands to reason that such a society would defend their interests regardless of how those interests overlap with other countries, and regardless of world opinion generally.

Maybe so, that's the usual line, but let's not pretend that propensity makes them trustworthy allies of the US.

I can't fault Israel for defending herself. I can fault her, however, for the illegal settlements in the West Bank, and for extreme heavy-handedness in dealing with minorities. Sometimes her actions go well beyond defense--like bulldozing out Palistinian apartments to have a "buffer zone." If a buffer zone is so important, why not bulldoze Israeli homes to construct it? Or how about attacking and gutting the Palestinian authority, and then complaining that they had no control over the populace?

Before it becomes an issue, I'd like to state up front that I'd far rather live under an Israeli government than an Arab one, and I am not anti-Israeli. I just don't believe that Israel is behaving in the most constructive manner toward settling the mess. Normally, I'd say it's none of my business. But since 1/6 of the entire US foreign aid budget (i.e. my taxes) goes to Israel, it seems the US should have something to say about it.

There also seems to be a giant double-standard in the US where behavior by Israel is tolerated that wouldn't be tolerated from any other nation (how come nobody cares about their WMDs, for example). Some of this is understandable and due to the attitude expressed by FinanceGeek, but at some point it becomes destabilizing to the region. I believe we are well beyond that point.

Bosco... Israel has had many scrapes with Syria... Look at Lebanon. They are in a state of war. In fact Israel is besieged by several adversaries that have State supported goals to destroy them. Just look at Syria. These two countries have been at war for quite a while. They just take frequent breaks from the shooting.

For whatever reason, we seem to be backing the Israel. I suspect that we will continue to do so. They are a partner and that relationship is in our strategic interest.

Unfortunately, it appears that the leadership of Iran wants to provoke the US and run covert operations against us and give support to our enemies... Iran is our enemy, Iran is Israel's enemy. I hope we take the collar off the dog and let them deal with Iran! The sooner the better. It does not require nuclear weapons.... No need to go in country with troops. Some convention bombs or cruise missiles will do it.

I hope they take those nuclear facilities out. Drop leaflets warning the people a few days ahead to get out. Then go to it.

Right now... like it or not, we are at war (not talking Iraq here)... It is just a covert war with several enemies. Israel is at war with those same enemies. They are common enemies. It is unfortunate but true. They would like to destroy us.

To think that my grandchildren would be threatened by such utter nonsense scares the hell out of me.

Unfortunately, USK is correct on the following: ""You should worry that if attacked by any of those non existant WMD's floating around the Middle East Isreal will will turn a few places into radioactive glass."

The fact is, Israel has a nuclear arsenal as a last gap deterrence against its destruction -- this is essentially the same nuclear policy that other nuclear states have. If Israel is attacked with WMDs, I don't think they will sit around and watch another holocaust take place within their own borders, I think they will use their deterrent.

I do worry about this for my grandchildren, also for my children and ourselves -- especially with the new Iranian nuclear problem. If it were up to me I would do whatever I could to de-nuclearize the Middle East, Israel included. I wouldn't stop there, I would de-nuclearize the world. In spite of all that is said about global warming, bird flu, etc, I still think nuclear war is the most likely way to end it all. It's not a nice thing to think about, which is why it becomes the "unthinkable" and not many want to address it.

• War Is Peace
  • Freedom Is Slavery
  • Ignorance Is Strength

Unfortunately, USK is correct on the following: ""You should worry that if attacked by any of those non existant WMD's floating around the Middle East Isreal will will turn a few places into radioactive glass."

The fact is, Israel has a nuclear arsenal as a last gap deterrence against its destruction -- this is essentially the same nuclear policy that other nuclear states have. If Israel is attacked with WMDs, I don't think they will sit around and watch another holocaust take place within their own borders, I think they will use their deterrent.

I do worry about this for my grandchildren, also for my children and ourselves -- especially with the new Iranian nuclear problem. If it were up to me I would do whatever I could to de-nuclearize the Middle East, Israel included. I wouldn't stop there, I would de-nuclearize the world. In spite of all that is said about global warming, bird flu, etc, I still think nuclear war is the most likely way to end it all. It's not a nice thing to think about, which is why it becomes the "unthinkable" and not many want to address it.

Unfortunately, the only "deterrent" that Israel has are the nukes. Israel is our best ally and buffer zone there, which is why we sell them all our advanced weaponry and such.

Unfortunately, the only "deterrent" that Israel has are the nukes. Israel is our best ally and buffer zone there, which is why we sell them all our advanced weaponry and such.

That's why this is such a difficult problem. Up to now, Israel hasn't needed anything other than great conventional arms and tactics to defeat their enemies. Whether nuclear deterrence helped is arguable, but the equation is changing with respect to Iran and, possibly in the future, with Pakistan. As long as all regional actors are rational, they could establish a new nuclear balance. But given the nutcase Iranian President, and the other nuts running around, you have to wonder if the time will come when someone will think they can survive a nuclear strike for the sake of taking out the much smaller Israel. This is when it gets very dangerous, and the calculus of deterrence breaks down. At that point, I think de-nuclearization of the entire region makes more sense, especially since it would be difficult to contain a nuclear exchange.

I think it has been escalating more and more every day. Once you mix in the nukes it will mean big problems for the rest of the world not just the middle east.

Aside from all our cultural biases, under what basis is it legal for Israel to have nuclear arms, but not for Iraq or Iran?

Israel is in flagrant disregard of more UN resolutions than Saddam ever was.

Like I said previously, I'd rather live in Israel than Iran. But credibility is lost when a nation tries to use UN resolutions as the basis of invasions, but ignores them when it relates to an "ally."

I think we all agree that we'd rather Iran and Pakistan not have nukes. Personally, I'd rather nobody had them. But if international law means anything, these questions have to be asked. Then again, maybe it means nothing. In which case, let's cut the BS and just admit might makes right and the US has the most might....

Israel is losing ground in the fight against its enemies such was the case last summer when its air force destroyed half of Lebanon but failed to silence hezbullah missiles that hit many cities and killed many Israelis.

IMHO the only solution to the problem is for Israel to return the land it occupied in 1967 and later annexed in exchange for peace with the Syrians. Doing so will move Syria away from radical Iran which would further isolate it and eliminate the supply route of weapons from Iran to Hezbullah in Lebanon. This will weaken this group and will strengthen the pro western government in Lebanon to allow it to disarm and control this group.

Bosco, let me help you here, you are anti-Israel.

No, let me help you. I'm against illegal annexation of territory. I am for peace in the middle east. I am against institutionalized poverty. I don't think rock-throwing teenagers are any match for the Israeli army, nor do I think shooting them is a reasonable response. I am against suicide bombing. I'm against a constant state of war between Israel and its neighbours. I don't hold the Arabs harmless in all this--far from it. But the US has some leverage over Israel, and by her actions she has lost any credibility in the Arab world.

The US is an enabler in this situation. Let the US lean on Israel to settle the mess. Why is the US not insisting that the recommendations of the Mitchell report be followed? There is nothing to be gained by waiting any longer--unless your true goal is still expansion.

If it's all the same for you, I'll decide what I am anti.

No, let me help you. I'm against illegal annexation of territory. I am for peace in the middle east. I am against institutionalized poverty. I don't think rock-throwing teenagers are any match for the Israeli army, nor do I think shooting them is a reasonable response. I am against suicide bombing. I'm against a constant state of war between Israel and its neighbours. I don't hold the Arabs harmless in all this--far from it. But the US has some leverage over Israel, and by her actions she has lost any credibility in the Arab world.

The US is an enabler in this situation. Let the US lean on Israel to settle the mess. Why is the US not insisting that the recommendations of the Mitchell report be followed? There is nothing to be gained by waiting any longer--unless your true goal is still expansion.

If it's all the same for you, I'll decide what I am anti.

Actually, I'm starting to agree with Redduck.

The Arab neighbors in the region have enough money to pave the streets of gaza and the west bank with gold a foot thick. Instead, they let their people starve in order to further their mission to destroy Israel.

I do not understand why Israel needs to pay for food, energy, and water for a group of people bent on their destruction. Let the other Arabs take care of them. Instead of food, all they send is weapons and money for suicide bombings.

Actually, I'm starting to agree with Redduck.

I do not understand why Israel needs to pay for food, energy, and water for a group of people bent on their destruction.

maybe because they took their land, put them in camps and are are still taking more of it?

I agree that the rest of the Arab world could contribute something besides money for bombs. Such a contribution would need to be part of a peace settlement. But like I said before, no peace settlement will ever occur so long as Israel keeps settling new territory, and the US has no leverage over the Arabs at this point, rather the opposite. The US could apply leverage to Israel to get serious about peace instead of deliberately continuing to incite things, then acting like they are innocent victims.

Want to gain leverage over Arabs? Simple. Quit buying their oil. Not likely anytime soon.

maybe because they took their land, put them in camps and are are still taking more of it?

Hmmm Why don't you explain the steps leading up to them "taking their land"

amazing how some minor details can change an entire story.

Is Israel important to the US? Yes.
Is Israel held to a different std. than anyone else? Yes.

I just learned incidentally that if you are not Jewish and married by an orthodox rabbi, you cannot be legally married in Israel. There is no provision for civil marriage.

Are you Jewish (secular, Orthodox, Conservative, Reform?) or Arab (Moslem, Christian, Druze?) and perhaps thinking of marrying someone from a religion other than your own? Are you a new immigrant with non-existent or questionable Jewish roots? Are you a gay man or a lesbian? Be aware that no civil marriage ceremony is available for anyone in Israel. For those who object to an Orthodox religious ceremony or do not "qualify" in religious terms for such a ceremony, the Isle of Cyprus awaits. For a reasonable sum, you can fly to Cyprus for a civil marriage ceremony, which will be recognized in Israel.
Jewish Currents - Love and Marriage in Israel

You do have to wonder what Arab citizens of the state of Israel have to go through, even if they are non-militant and 'assimilated.'

I just learned incidentally that if you are not Jewish and married by an orthodox rabbi, you cannot be legally married in Israel. There is no provision for civil marriage.

Just try getting married by an Orthodox Rabbi when you both aren't Jewish. ;)

My wife and I have never had to document something so completely in our life when we tried to get married. They don't take anybodies word for anything, it has to all be on paper. I was sure that by the end he was going to check for circumcision, thankfully he didn't.

Just try getting married by an Orthodox Rabbi when you both aren't Jewish. ;)
My wife and I have never had to document something so completely in our life when we tried to get married. They don't take anybodies word for anything, it has to all be on paper. I was sure that by the end he was going to check for circumcision, thankfully he didn't.
I was best man for a friend's wedding. His parents felt that an Orthodox rabbi was important so his spouse-to-be went through the conversion process. They they spent weeks drafting the ketubah and checking for errors.

By the time the blessed ceremony arrived the bride, groom, and both sets of parents were ready to kill each other. I think the marriage lasted for three years, and I sometimes wonder if she "converted back"...

Hmmm Why don't you explain the steps leading up to them "taking their land"

amazing how some minor details can change an entire story.

since you asked, here are some "minor details...

how about the part where they drove the British out Palestine by using terrorism? Blowing up the King David Hotel and killing 91 people including 28 British soldiers (oh yeah--they claimed they gave the Brits a 'warning' to evacuate so the loss of lifes wasn't their fault)? The individual who ordered the bombing, Menachem Begin--you remember him, don't you? He's the one that attacked Palestinians all the time due to their terrorism. Guess it takes one to know one.

King David Hotel bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If that isn't grisly enough, another ex-prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, attended a 60th anniversary celebration of the bombing.

Or the part where Ariel Sharon stood and watched while Lebanese Christian militia slaughtered 1500 men women and children in Sabra and Shatila? see

Sabra and Shatila massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

although the wikipedia article says that Sharon was forced to resign, he was forced to resign as defence minister but remained in cabinet as a "minister without portfolio." Slap on the wrist. Yes, the same Sharon who deliberately revved up the Temple Mount issue so he could further his political career, at great loss of life.

Or do you mean the land captured and not returned after the 6 day war?

Both sides in this conflict have plenty of flies on them. Unfortunately, usually one side only is given any consideration in the US. It is important for people to understand the depth of the conflict in order for them to understand how uncritical support of anything Israel does is seen abroad. Oh yeah, sorry, forgot--many Americans don't care what the UN or the international community thinks.

Regardless of how the land was taken--and for sure much of the original land was purchased and donated--a LOT of people were displaced and remain an Israeli and an international responsibility. Unfortunately, the responsibility mounts as time goes by, more settlements are made, and more people are displaced.

My interest is in having an Israel and a Palestine with internationally recognized borders that are at peace with one another. Unfortunately, forces on both sides are working hard to be sure this does not happen.

Peace was close with the Camp David accords, and IMO, the fault of the impasse largely rests with the Palestinians. However, that does not change the fact that the original 700,000 refugees that were displaced with the original formation of Israel now number some 4,000,000. Since the world participated in forming Israel, these people are the responsibility of the entire world. For this reason, it distresses me to see the US take on a partisan role in the conflict, and why I tend to present the Palestinian view in discussions. This does not mean I favour one side over the other. As I stated above, I think Arafat did Palestinians a huge disservice by not accepting the Camp David offer in 2000. But do we forget the 4,000,000 refugees because their leader did something dumb? How would you as one of 300,000,000 Americans, like to be judged based on the action of your present leader?

Back
Top Bottom