Need to buy a computer cable.

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I managed to break the cable (cord, wire?)that connects the DSL modem to the PC. Is there any special brand or type I should look for? There are a Best Buy and a Radio Shack and a Target not too far.

I assume it is a CAT 5e cable, and those are pretty standardized. You can purchase any brand of cable that the store carries. The biggest decision to make is how long does it need to be and *gasp* what color would you want.

UD

How are you posting? (smilie button)

I bought a printer that came without a cable to connect it to the PC and found the cheapest one on Amazon.com; I think it was under $4.00 delivered. The computer company wanted $20.00 pre tax.

Take the old one to the Radio Shack and have them sell you a replacement. Best Buy may be cheaper - but they may not have the customer service you need?

If you know what you need and can wait - try ordering from newegg or other online discounter - you may save a few bucks.

How are you posting? (smilie button)

I bought a printer that came without a cable to connect it to the PC and found the cheapest one on Amazon.com; I think it was under $4.00 delivered. The computer company wanted $20.00 pre tax.

I had two of them.:cool:

What the hell, might as well make my fist post something I know about.

A simple CAT5e or CAT 6 RJ45 network cable is what you need. The markups are horrendous on computer/audio-video cables in B&M stores.

Something like this will do nicely.
For only $1.05 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10FT 350MHz UTP Cat5e RJ45 Network Cable - Blue | Cat5e Straight Cable
Welcome to the board Epps. I clicked on this one for the same reason -- something I know about to respond to. Head over to the Soap Box -- it doesn't matter whether you know what you are talking about over there :)

6 will support 5e traffic - but your connection will be much slower than either and work with both so don't worry! :)

Go on line and find one. There must be a "cables are us" someplace. I had an interesting experience with my new Desktop Computer. Looked at it after getting it shipped in and no Parallel port -- HTH am I going to plug in my old stand by 17 year old HP Laser 4 printer? Went to Best Buy and there it was "Parallel to USB" cable $29.95 plus tax. Went to the internet found the cable for $9.95 to your door. Cable came very plain but connected it up and printer has been humming ever since.

Dont overpay, but this isnt an item where price is the sole consideration, although theres not much correlation between price and quality. Its very, very easy to do a crappy job of crimping a cable and have it cause you a bunch of headaches for a long time.

When I used to do network stuff, any time we had a customer with lots of problems it was usually because they went cheap on the wiring or had someone come in on the side to make patch cables to save a couple of bucks and the guy did a lousy job.

Once I bought a handful of the cheapest 2' blue network cables they had at fry's. Loose bin items, really cheap looking.

Over the next 3 years I had weird intermittent problems. I swapped cables around, tested power, tested for ground problems, changed network cards, etc.

Turns out that every one of the blue cables had poor crimps. If you wiggled them a little they'd lose contact. And of course I was using them to connect the cable modem to the router, the router to a couple of other things, and my tivo's to the wall plates. And they'd intermittently lose the connection and then get it back again.

I recommend an inexpensive but brand name cable, with a molded boot instead of a bare cable or one with a slide on boot.

I've had good experience with Siig cables. Not too expensive, not too cheaply made.

Some DSL/cable modems need a crossover cable to connect to the PC. It's the same as a cat 5/5e/6 but some of the wires are in different places at each end.

To check, hold each end in the same position; if the wire colors are in the same order on each side then it's not a crossover cable.

If the connection is only between the PC and modem then I wouldn't worry about the cat rating.. plain old cat 5 would do fine, probably even cat 3 if you happened to have one lying about. But of course the crimping matters.

Back
Top Bottom