Pirates and Big Ships

ferco

Recycles dryer sheets
Maybe I'm ignorant of the sea, but I'm trying to imagine how men in a little boat get onto a BIG ship. And additionally, if the big ship know that this has happened previously what they should do to alert them to a little boat approaching the ship that shouldn't be close to them in the middle of the sea.

Can someone who understands this s'plain it to me. Thanks.

I've been wanting to use this for a while now....
sCh_pirates.gif

.....carry on...

I have always thought that a large ship could easily divert a threat by a small Zodiac-type boat with a few accurately tossed hand grenades from the larger ship. I now understand that maritime law forbids commercial vessels from being armed or taking shots at pirates or other boats. Seems like we should be changing that darn law ASAP.

Do Israeli ships ever get hijacked? I understand that they are all armed. Perhaps thet are rated as war ships or something like that.

Little ships are a lot faster and more maneuverable than a supertanker or large cargo ship. As I understand it, they generaly pull close to a ship and point an RPG or two at the ship andmake their demands. I know that if I were floating around on top of a million barrels of oil I would be very respectful of anyone pointing explosives at my ship.

The navies of the world need to rub this threat out once and for all.

Little ships are a lot faster and more maneuverable than a supertanker or large cargo ship. As I understand it, they generaly pull close to a ship and point an RPG or two at the ship andmake their demands. I know that if I were floating around on top of a million barrels of oil I would be very respectful of anyone pointing explosives at my ship.

The navies of the world need to rub this threat out once and for all.

As I understand things they have grappling hooks and ladders, pull up along side the larger ship, while some lay down a barrage of gunfire others scale the ship and are on-board with lots of weapons in a short time.

They don't make their demands until on-board. Note that they are usually very well armed.

So how do they get away? Do they take along a hostage? Otherwise, the big ship knows their starting location and by now the military has had time to arrive in the neighborhood. Why now blow them out of the water as they leave?

So how do they get away? Do they take along a hostage? Otherwise, the big ship knows their starting location and by now the military has had time to arrive in the neighborhood. Why now blow them out of the water as they leave?
I was wondering this too. I assume they take the ship to dock in whatever lawless area they come from.

If they just took the money and fled in a small boat with no hostages most naval ships have helicopters that could easily catch them and sink them.

I know the French have actually attacked them on land after these incidents in the the past.

French Troops Attack Somali Pirates After 30 Hostages Freed - washingtonpost.com

(suppressing urge for standard surrender jokes)

Back
Top Bottom