Anyone else watching the Chilean Miner Rescue?

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Wow! Impressive!

I just can't imagine having gone through that, and waiting to be one of the last to go up. It's tough not to get really wound up with anxiety watching this super slow rescue.

Audrey

LBYM

Think about it.

Inspirational on so many levels. I cannot begin to imagine what all have been through.

Just awesome! Watched the first miner come out last night - and turned the tv on first thing this morning to check on the other miners. What an inspiration they are - and it is just mind-blowing what they (and their loved ones) have endured these last 70 days. Blessings to all of them!! (And, if the last one is expected to come up over night - I'll stay up all night to watch them!!) Kudos to the miners and the rescuers!!

I stayed up real late and turned it on again first thing this AM. Just amazing what these men went through.

Wow! Impressive!

I just can't imagine having gone through that, and waiting to be one of the last to go up. It's tough not to get really wound up with anxiety watching this super slow rescue.

Audrey
Amazing. Real life drama and inspiration. Events like these help keep perspective.

How they organized the exit queue:

Díaz hacía referencia a que el método universal de rescate tiene un principio según el cuál se saca primero a los "hábiles", luego a los "débiles" y al final a los "fuertes".
Los hábiles son los que están en las mejores condiciones físicas para sortear cualquier problema que pudiera surgir al momento de ser izados a la superficie por un ducto de casi 700 m de longitud y de 60 a 70 cm de diámetro, una fase que demandará entre una hora y una hora y media.
Los débiles son aquellos que pueden padecer alguna enfermedad o sean de mayor edad, y los fuertes son quienes podrán soportar en mejores condiciones la ansiedad de la espera.
First the most able, then the weakest, then the strongest. Most able meant most able to deal with unexpected challenges or obstacles on the trip out. Weakest meant physically ill. Strongest meant strength of character – could wait and watch the others leave first.

I started watching CNN about two hours before the first miner reached the surface--which brought a tear to my eye. It was gripping television. Then Larry King came on and he didn't know when to shut his mouth and let the images speak for themselves when a miner reached the surface during King's program. And he was asking typical stupid Larry King questions. I finally went to bed after the fourth miner came up. I'll probably spend most of today tuning in every half-hour or so to watch each miner reach the surface and get family hugs. (Thanks to ER, I don't have to worry about going to w**k instead. :D) And, don't forget that there are some brave rescuers who went down who also need to come back up safely. (Will they be the very last, after the shift supervisor who is expected to be the last miner to be saved?)

Anyone know if there is a Webcast of the rescue operations? (I don't think I can stand anymore Larry King, who may be on air when the last of the miners come up.)

Anyone know if there is a Webcast of the rescue operations? (I don't think I can stand anymore Larry King, who may be on air when the last of the miners come up.)
I think this video on the CNN web site (center) pretty much has the local coverage, with occasional English voice over translation of Spanish heard in the video. http://www.cnn.com/

I've been watching mostly on the Spanish stations, as there is a LOT less extemporaneous speculative commentary - mostly facts, background, interpretation of the scene, and plenty of exclamations about how exciting this is, people's bravery, and how happy everyone is about it.

Audrey

First the most able, then the weakest, then the strongest. Most able meant most able to deal with unexpected challenges or obstacles on the trip out. Weakest meant physically ill. Strongest meant strength of character – could wait and watch the others leave first.
Thanks for posting that. I have really wondered how they decided the order.

I'm watching on cnn.com and the 15th miner is on his way up right now. This is really an incredible rescue and is inspiring to watch.

I started watching CNN about two hours before the first miner reached the surface--which brought a tear to my eye. It was gripping television. Then Larry King came on and he didn't know when to shut his mouth and let the images speak for themselves when a miner reached the surface during King's program. And he was asking typical stupid Larry King questions. I finally went to bed after the fourth miner came up. I'll probably spend most of today tuning in every half-hour or so to watch each miner reach the surface and get family hugs. (Thanks to ER, I don't have to worry about going to w**k instead. :D) And, don't forget that there are some brave rescuers who went down who also need to come back up safely. (Will they be the very last, after the shift supervisor who is expected to be the last miner to be saved?)

Here’s a spanish language broadcast, but I don’t expect it will be any better. 3 miners every 2 hours – lots of talking. Rescate de los Mineros Chilenos en VIVO - Univision Noticias en VIVO

Right on the rescuers as well – good point.

Thanks for posting that. I have really wondered how they decided the order.
Thanks for the thread. A real positive posting amid all the talk of gloom and doom (and politics) around here (and on tv).

Any one else notice that open displays of tearfulness were remarkably absent compared to how it would be in the US? A commentator suggested that this was cultural.

A remarkable story. I am so glad this appears to have a happy ending.

On the cnn feed it looks like there is a problem with the capsule closing correctly. It seems there was a mention of several rescue capsules having been constructed so I expect it can be swapped out if necessary.

Simply amazing...better than any reality show on TV right now!

I watched when they brought up the first miner last night and the emotional reunion between him, his wife and small son was wonderful.

It'll be interesting to see how the miners' private lives play out however given the fact that some of them have some explaining to do to their wives on why they have children with other women that the wives didn't know about :angel:. Uh oh.

I sure hope this doesn't raise the price of copper. :whistle:

Any one else notice that open displays of tearfulness were remarkably absent compared to how it would be in the US? A commentator suggested that this was cultural.
You would never know given how many men's tears you see on telenovelas!

Maybe it's Chilean cultural.

On the cnn feed it looks like there is a problem with the capsule closing correctly. It seems there was a mention of several rescue capsules having been constructed so I expect it can be swapped out if necessary.
The Spanish feed I was watching said it was just routine preventative maintenance. Now done and descending again.

Audrey

Balls of Steel is up next - he asked for both his wife and mistress to be present - seems his wife exercised some power and said unhunh. Wonder how long his life will be after reentry to the surface world.

Balls of Steel is up next - he asked for both his wife and mistress to be present - seems his wife exercised some power and said unhunh. Wonder how long his life will be after reentry to the surface world.

It was pretty interesting to see the reunion between him and his wife. His wife was crying and seemed pretty happy to see him while his reaction was pretty reserved I thought. Maybe he's saving his happy reaction/tears for his girlfriend si?

Super impressive in every weay. THE miners are amazingly strong, and the governemnt and I suppose teh mining company did a great job of constructing and operating a very simple but apparently effective system of escape.

Does anyone know if the ascent is made in darkness, or is there a small light in the capsule?

I wonder if these guys will be able to head back down in the future.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom