Maybe it's genetic - my mother was a FIRE person

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been on a tear to throw away paperwork I no longer need. I have a bunch of paper work from my deceased parents. In analyzing some of it, I see that my mother was a relatively early retiree having retired from teaching as soon as she was eligible to do so. I also see that my parents had a relatively short-term mortgage on their retirement home (they had rented prior to that) and paid it off early.

Based on my review of paper work and recollections of things I didn't pay much attention to as a kid, I think my mother was the financial planner in the family. If she had predeceased my father (which was not the case) I think my father would have had had a hard time financially. He predeceased her and she was in fine shape, even leaving me a relatively small but very much appreciated legacy.

So I think I got a lot of my attitude from my parents, especially my mother, whether through osmosis or genes.

So I think I got a lot of my attitude from my parents, especially my mother, whether through osmosis or genes.
My ER epiphany came from my father when I was kvetching about the Navy's transition-assistance programs.

He asked "Why are you looking for a job? You'll be getting a pension, and you've saved some money over the years, right?"

D'oh.

Back
Top Bottom