Best singer/songwriter ever

While Bob Dylan is one of my personal favorites, I think some like Lennon and McCartney probably impress me more with the sheer variety and number of their songs. You still hear their music everywhere.

While Bob Dylan is one of my personal favorites, I think some like Lennon and McCartney probably impress me more with the sheer variety and number of their songs. You still hear their music everywhere.

It's really that whole band. It's like there should be two categories: "them and everyone else".

YouTube - Revolution Beatles

Last edited:
Completely agree, W2R--I too was going to post a video of her singing that same song! Even today I could sing the whole Tapestry album from memory.

I have the Tapestry ALBUM, too. Love that cover. :)
I'll throw in a newer guy, even though you know I never pass up a chance to post Sweet Baby James Taylor.

Chris Knight is my favorite singer songwriter out there touring the "small time". He's the real deal with some powerful lyrics. This is from his first album.

YouTube - Chris Knight - It Ain't Easy Being Me

Billy Joel or Neil Diamond - talk about long careers that spanned generations of music listeners.

This is an easy choice for me, too.
Male: Bob Dylan
Female: Carole King
Group: Beatles

Those folks are in a class by themselves.

Best?

Worth a mention: John Prine, Neil Young, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Robert Earl Keen, maybe Jackson Browne...

Best?

Worth a mention: John Prine, Neil Young, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Robert Earl Keen, maybe Jackson Browne...

All good ones in my book. Also a huge James McMurtry fan. I've been less impressed with REK's latest albums. Maybe I just prefer the darker stuff he did earlier, which is why I'm drawn to McMurtry and Chris Knight.

But Prine, now--here's my anthem:
YouTube - John Prine : Spanish Pipedream (1984)

Best?

Others worth a mention: Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, Captain Beefhart, Patti Smith...

Amen (still have her "Tapestry" album, on tape)...

BTW - we're showing our age (nuthin wrong with that :LOL: )...

Yup. Kids these days don't know nuthin' about music. Get off my lawn!;)

I'll add Peter Townshend (every time I hear the CSI theme song screaming out I think of the Who and hope they're getting megaroyalties). And the young'uns like that Marshall Mathers dude.

Back
Top Bottom