MMM Buys Brand New Nissan Leaf; "An Experiment"

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Oh boy, I think he's going to catch hell for this. The internet police will NOT be happy about it!

So I Bought an Electric Car…

If I were still my real retired self (circa 2005-2011), we probably would have sold these vehicles and gone blissfully car-free, combining bikes and bike trailers, with car sharing, carpooling, rentals, and Uber/Lyft rides for our trips out of town, which only average twice per month. The money savings of maybe $2000 per year would only be a minor improvement to our annual spending, but the peace of mind of a clear driveway, no maintenance or registration or maintenance or insurance, and the joy of trying something new, would be worth much more.

But instead, I now lead this dual life: Normal Pete, the retired Dad/carpenter is in control for 90% of my waking hours, but like a werewolf, his alter ego Mr. Money Mustache (circa 2011 to present) takes over occasionally, and he has a different agenda.

MMM is restless, reckless, bossy, prone to experimentation, has a surplus of blog-related income at his disposal, and has to answer to millions of people. Pete’s friends mostly live nearby and already ride bikes, but certain MMM readers are still burning millions of gallons of gasoline driving gas-powered cars on long commutes. Many of them want to know if there is a better way.

So, Mr. Money Mustache just bought himself a brand-new, 2016 Nissan Leaf to run a long-term science experiment and report the data back to you. Pete is a bit nervous about this shiny new toy in the driveway, but he will do his best to have some fun with it.

i was really shocked when I got an email saying this. I will have to go on the forum for all the commotion.

i was really shocked when I got an email saying this. I will have to go on the forum for all the commotion.

You are glutton for a punishment, aren't you? I don't dare read any of the comments, I am pretty sure my head would explode.

The comments have all been positive so far-I just looked but he has the veto power so maybe is only choosing the positive. someone will start a thread though and then the flaming will begin. I wonder if it will hurt his blog.

I wonder if it will hurt his blog.

The only damage I can see is that folks that have NO business buying a BRAND NEW car will now find the justification to do so. Their "Supreme Leader" did it and all the reasons he cited were "TOTALLY AWESOME", so they might follow suit.

Did Nissan give it to him to advertise to target group ?

No he bought it. With all the incentives it started at 35k and ended up being 14k. He also had to finance at 0% to get the deal. Ironic all the way around.

No he bought it. With all the incentives it started at 35k and ended up being 14k. He also had to finance at 0% to get the deal. Ironic all the way around.

Now that is just f@@@ed up....

Really.... $21K of incentives!!!! Which, BTW are other peoples tax money...

It is all in his main post about the details. I think he has to wait for some of the rebates and I think some of it is he gets to take it off his taxes. I agree that it is fu@@ed up considering he is wealthy but that is always the way it is.

MM says never buy a new car. buy an older used one and never finance, etc.

Now that is just f@@@ed up....

Really.... $21K of incentives!!!! Which, BTW are other peoples tax money...

This means he is smart, really smart.

Last edited:
Yeah, anytime you can get a brand new $35,000 car for $14,000, you should do it. Why buy used?

I don't even know who he is and could care less.

"So my total out-of-pocket cost with tax will be $16,000, which is equivalent to buying a brand-new car with a list price of $14,775."
So I Bought an Electric Car…

To me the most interesting things are the discounts that transform a $35k car into such a cheap, new 2016 electric vehicle. Listed biggest first, from that blog post:
-$7500 Federal tax credit
-$6000 Nissan finance incentive for taking a loan (a 0% loan paid over 6 yrs!)
-$4653 Colorado state tax credit
-$4500 assorted dealer discounts

So if I want a really big battery for our RV, I could buy a Leaf for $14K and throw the car away and keep the battery?

So if I want a really big battery for our RV, I could buy a Leaf for $14K and throw the car away and keep the battery?
You could probably buy a battery at a junk yard from a crashed electric car for less. My Escape hybrid battery is 330 volts, though, so you may find your fans run a little fast and the lights are a little bright.

This means he is smart, really smart.

One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to take advantage of $21,000 in government subsidies on a $35,000 purchase.

What it does prove is that the system is broken if the government is paying 60% of the purchase price of a new vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom