Dealer Wants to Buy My 12 Y.O. Car!

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I've had a couple of emails over the last few days from the Hyundai dealer where I've had my car serviced for the past three years. They want to buy my Genesis Coupe that I purchased new in August 2010 (it was a 2011 model). It has just over 70,000 miles and in great condition. It's always been dealer serviced. I pretty much ignored the emails but this morning, the guy actually called me practically begging me to let them make an offer! I politely declined but agreed to let them know if I change my mind.

The Genesis Coupe sports car was only made from 2010 to 2016. I have a higher end trim with 3.8 L V6. It's RWD, fast and handles well with a ride that's a bit on the firm side. It doesn't look like Hyundai or its Genesis division will ever make a replacement. I guess I'm just surprised that the dealer would put such effort into buying my 12 year old vehicle. Yes, I know it's a seller's market for used cars and trucks and they have the full history of the car in their records but really? Maybe it's on the verge of becoming a classic!

Nice looking if that’s it.

2011-hyundai-genesis-coupe-3-8-r-spec-06.jpg

Well its a unique car. I assume that if they offered you $100,000 that you would sell it? If so, it is for sale and just a matter of agreeing on the price. Think through what you think would be enough to prod you to sell it... keep that number in mind and let him throw an offer at you. Who knows, you might be surprised.

My DS totaled his car last October and even the lowball offer that his insurer offered to him for his total loss was more than what he paid for the vehicle 5 years earlier, which surprised the begeezers out of me... so you never know. Opportunity awaits!!

OTOH, it sounds like a really nice car and I remember being intrigued by them when they first came out so I might also be inclined to keep it.

Well its a unique car. I assume that if they offered you $100,000 that you would sell it? If so, it is for sale and just a matter of agreeing on the price. Think through what you think would be enough to prod you to sell it... keep that number in mind and let him throw an offer at you. Who knows, you might be surprised.

My DS totaled his car last October and even the lowball offer that his insurer offered to him for his total loss was more than what he paid for the vehicle 5 years earlier, which surprised the begeezers out of me... so you never know. Opportunity awaits!!

OTOH, it sounds like a really nice car and I remember being intrigued by them when they first came out so I might also be inclined to keep it.
Just checked Kelly Blue Book and it's only about $13K for private party sale. Think I'll hang onto it. We just bought a brand new Camry and there's nothing out there at the moment that gets me very excited and eager to replace my Genesis Coupe. At some point, maybe the Supra or the new Nissan Z.

the guy actually called me practically begging me to let them make an offer! I politely declined but agreed to let them know if I change my mind.

I'd at least ask them for their price, they know enough about the car to make an offer without you having to put in any effort - at least a healthy range.

What would you replace it with?

Is there another car that offers you more value?

It looks pretty classy to me.

Last edited:
We just bought a brand new Camry and there's nothing out there at the moment that gets me very excited and eager to replace my Genesis Coupe.

I have no idea what I'd replace my car with right now, which is an issue when driving a car with nearly 160K miles on a CVT.

Given that my driving is dominated by long trips and living in the Southeast, I'm years away from an electric vehicle being practical. The smaller cars I could afford new also make me uncomfortable in terms of crash safety here, and I find current vehicle styling overwrought pretty much across the board.

The dealer's wanting to sell you a new car and clear your trade in the deal.

70K miles and V-6? Keep it until the wheels fall off. The car dealers of today are not selling as many cars as in the past, and they have to make unusually high profits off each vehicle sold.

Don't fall into their marketing trap.

+1 You can always say, nah... I'd rather keep it.

all that does is startba back and forth. If the OP doesn't want to sell then leave it be. whatever you buy to replace it will be more expensive and/or take forever to deliver.

If you decide to take it to the dealer, at least get an offer from CarMax. Carmax gave me a very god offer for my 10 year old Hyundai Elantra (~75K miles, 2 minor accidents, both fixed) . About 2x what the dealer offered me in trade 3 months ago.

Just checked Kelly Blue Book and it's only about $13K for private party sale. Think I'll hang onto it. We just bought a brand new Camry and there's nothing out there at the moment that gets me very excited and eager to replace my Genesis Coupe. At some point, maybe the Supra or the new Nissan Z.

Excited and Camry in the same sentence was a bit jarring for me. Having said that, one thing to consider is used car prices are likely to fall over next 1-2 years in my view. In fact, that is one reason I am planning to sell my...wait for it... Camry.

Will not be replacing it right away as we have 3 cars.

So, I've had a couple of emails over the last few days from the Hyundai dealer where I've had my car serviced for the past three years. They want to buy my Genesis Coupe that I purchased new in August 2010 (it was a 2011 model). It has just over 70,000 miles and in great condition. It's always been dealer serviced. I pretty much ignored the emails but this morning, the guy actually called me practically begging me to let them make an offer! I politely declined but agreed to let them know if I change my mind.

The Genesis Coupe sports car was only made from 2010 to 2016. I have a higher end trim with 3.8 L V6. It's RWD, fast and handles well with a ride that's a bit on the firm side. It doesn't look like Hyundai or its Genesis division will ever make a replacement. I guess I'm just surprised that the dealer would put such effort into buying my 12 year old vehicle. Yes, I know it's a seller's market for used cars and trucks and they have the full history of the car in their records but really? Maybe it's on the verge of becoming a classic!
Just emails? I've been getting post cards about my 2011 Sonata for much more than 5 years.

The answer is simple. It's a marketing tactic. If they can put something under your nose, or your computer eyes, each time their experiment repeats it increases the chance they'll hook you and get you into the dealership.

Be honest here, each time you get this note about your used car you get a happy thought imagining a new hybrid or something in the driveway.

Also, we get these cards for our 2015 Honda CRV. So we are special on at least two levels, right?

I still get them from the Hyundai dealer, the car was sold to Carvana 2 years ago now. They're so annoying, they try to personalize it with the little yellow post it note sticker from a manager telling the office to call me asap, they really need my model.

I’m no longer contacted about my 17 year old minivan. Not a problem, since I love it dearly.

I've mentioned previously that I took my 11 year old diesel pickup to the dealer for an oil change in March and and when I picked it up there was an offer to purchase it laying on the dash. The $ was far more than I thought the truck was worth as diesel prices were in the $6/gal range and still climbing.

I ended up negotiating a bit more out of them and sold it for ~80% of what I paid for it new. I'm now shopping for an EV with that money and will hopefully have enough $ left over to pay for several years of battery recharges. :)

Excited and Camry in the same sentence was a bit jarring for me.
I know, right?! The Camry was my husband's choice not mine. He wanted a four door full size sedan and his old car was a 2005 Camry. We drive to San Diego 9 or 10 times a year, round trip of over 900 miles with our dog. We have done the trip in my Genesis Coupe but it's a bit cramped (hubby has to take his work electronics with him). The Camry is great for that trip.

OK, I suspect it's a marketing ploy as others have said. If I go in for the deal, they'll probably try to sell me an SUV or Sonata or something. They don't offer a sports car like mine anymore and the dealer is Hyundai only - no Genesis or Kia. I'll likely have one more sports car in my life and then it will probably be something electric. I've had German sports sedans before so I don't need one of those. Before I do anything, might be worth looking at an offer from carmax as CRLLS suggested.

Just emails? I've been getting post cards about my 2011 Sonata for much more than 5 years.
No, I ignored the emails but I got an actual call from a man at the dealership yesterday morning. Wonder what they'll say next time I go in for an oil/filter change?

I've mentioned previously that I took my 11 year old diesel pickup to the dealer for an oil change in March and and when I picked it up there was an offer to purchase it laying on the dash. The $ was far more than I thought the truck was worth as diesel prices were in the $6/gal range and still climbing.

I ended up negotiating a bit more out of them and sold it for ~80% of what I paid for it new. I'm now shopping for an EV with that money and will hopefully have enough $ left over to pay for several years of battery recharges. :)

If you did not get out of RV'ing, it would not save any money going to an EV towing vehicle. In fact, it would cost more.

And while the Rivian R1T may be able to pull your 5th wheel, having to stop every hour to recharge would take all the fun out of RV'ing.

Back
Top Bottom