Why you should block calls from your own number

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
A few months ago I got a robocall attempt on my cell phone from my own 'spoofed' cell phone number. I didn't answer and blocked my number since I couldn't think of any reason I'd need to reach myself. :cool: Too bad I didn't encourage the DW to do the same with her number.

Last night she got two calls from her number, one shortly after midnight and a second around 2:30 AM. Her phone is set to initiate Do Not Disturb mode between 10 PM and 6 AM, blocking all calls from anyone not on her contacts list, but her own number is considered to be a contact, thus the calls came through (she didn't answer).

I'd recommend those of you with cell phones preemptively block your own number now and avoid the possibility of a rude awakening - or two.

I pay 10 cents a minute for incoming and out going phone calls. I leave my cell phone in the armrest of the car. When I got shopping, I usually retrieve it, and walk to where im going. It always has missed calls, messages. Never from anyone I know. When I get home I call the phone from my landline, and erase the messages.

A few months ago I got a robocall attempt on my cell phone from my own 'spoofed' cell phone number. I didn't answer and blocked my number since I couldn't think of any reason I'd need to reach myself. :cool: Too bad I didn't encourage the DW to do the same with her number.

Last night she got two calls from her number, one shortly after midnight and a second around 2:30 AM. Her phone is set to initiate Do Not Disturb mode between 10 PM and 6 AM, blocking all calls from anyone not on her contacts list, but her own number is considered to be a contact, thus the calls came through (she didn't answer).

I'd recommend those of you with cell phones preemptively block your own number now and avoid the possibility of a rude awakening - or two.
Thanks. I would have never thought to do that. I am seeing a pretty substantial increase in robo-calls, and most now have the area code and prefix of my number.

I am seeing a pretty substantial increase in robo-calls, and most now have the area code and prefix of my number.

Same here.

I saw a bit about this exact issue recently on a national TV news program. The scammers are technologically way ahead of the guys chasing them.

Same here.

I saw a bit about this exact issue recently on a national TV news program. The scammers are technologically way ahead of the guys chasing them.
Actually, it doesn't seem as if there is much effort put into chasing, or stopping, phone scammers. Certainly the phone companies themselves don't appear to have much interest.

I've been seeing something similar (but slightly different) more often lately. They aren't spoofing my number but they do spoof my area code and local prefix to make it appear it's a local call when actually the call originates from out of state.

I've been seeing something similar (but slightly different) more often lately. They aren't spoofing my number but they do spoof my area code and local prefix to make it appear it's a local call when actually the call originates from out of state.

This is also what I'm seeing, both on my cell phone and on our landline. The last 4 digits are generally different with each call. I'm wary of blocking them because neighbors have the same prefix and some of the numbers I'm sure are legitimate. What a PITA.

I get a call every day from my area code and prefix, but an ever-changing four-digit suffix. Since I use a mobile phone, my prefix is not the same as my neighborhood landline phones.

Frankly, if the caller isn't in my address book, I don't answer. A valid caller will leave a message. DW answers, I suspect for the entertainment value. But robocalls aren't much fun. You can't play with them the way you can with live callers.

My very favorite answer was back in the days of "jammers" who tried to make you switch long-distance services. "Are you satisfied with your long distance provider?" To which I responded, "I'm sorry, I don't have a phone."

Interesting - if you call your own number (at least on Verizon), you go directly to voice mail.

So, your provider knows that it isn't your phone calling, yet allows them to spoof the number. The providers really need to up their game.

Calls from your area code and local exchange are more frequent because more people are dropping their landlines. The numbers are spoofed or actual numbers. Mr Number stops a lot of these.

I get random calls from a variety of live and robo callers on my cell phone. I have had to force myself to not answer automatically. I'm also working hard to not auto matically acknowledge if they ask "is this ?"
I do believe you earn a higher spot on the sucker list if you answer the call even if you don't comply.

Last edited:
If you block your own number, wouldn't it prevent you from calling your phone when it gets lost, like in the couch cushions?

I am seeing a pretty substantial increase in robo-calls, and most now have the area code and prefix of my number.

Me too. It is particularly frustrating because my phone is a work phone and many of us have the same area code and prefix. Now I guess everyone has to leave a message if they want to talk to me and are not a known contact.

I have seen that a lot lately also....

Now here is the worst part.... having the use YOUR number to spoof.... not sure how long ago it was, but I literally got hundreds (if not more than 1000) calls to my phone... there were so many that Comcast was 'answering' them as they could not get through on the two that were on my line at one time... they would say 'I do not know who you are, but you just called me'.... well, NO, I did not...

It took me awhile to guess that someone had spoofed my number and used it for robo calls... and these people had nothing better to do than call me back!!!

Lucky it was only a couple of days and all was back to normal...

It's gotten so bad that I just rarely answer the phone - unless it's someone I have listed. If it's important, they will leave a message - most don't. Most don't even let it ring long enough to go to voicemail. YMMV

If you block your own number, wouldn't it prevent you from calling your phone when it gets lost, like in the couch cushions?
It sounds like it would help reduce robocalls, but doesn't that mean your number will be blocked when calling your contacts who you want to have your caller ID info? That's a tough choice.

Like others here, I never answer any calls these days from unidentified callers (anyone not already in my contacts), and many of my friends are now doing the same. Unidentified callers that need to get through will leave a message.

I'm getting a couple robocalls calls a day now, and I've noticed it's from my own area code some lately. I do reverse lookup and block all numbers with any spam risk, but it is a PITA.

Last edited:

All the time. They all go to voice mail and never leave a message. We don't even bother blocking them.

I get a call every day from my area code and prefix, but an ever-changing four-digit suffix.

Looks like they might actually do something about these.

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has announced that every day, American consumers report tens of thousands of robocalls, which are the agency's top complaint category, with more than 1.9 million filed in the first five months of 2017 alone. Under a new initiative, when consumers report violations, the violators' numbers will be released daily to telecommunications carriers ...

Meanwhile, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is exploring ways to verify whether phone calls are really coming from the phone number shown in the caller ID or use fake numbers (a practice known as "spoofing")...

Within the past two months, the FCC also:
Proposed a $120 million fine against an individual who apparently used "neighbor spoofing" while making nearly 100 million robocalls to sell timeshares.

Back
Top Bottom