10 things that changed after ER

Some were true already, before I fully retired. Others were never true. A few became true when I fully retired. Nothing too shocking. Ho hum.

5, 8, and 9 fit me pretty well

#1 - I can't say Mondays became the best day of the week since they are all about the same to me, except I often don't even know (or care) what day of the week it is

#3 - I can't say that I'm busier than ever but my days are usually as full as I want them

Last edited:
Even w/partial retirement (for 3 more weeks), these ring mostly true. Agree on the Monday thing. On the weekends, I "tend to shelter in place." We do most shopping and short getaways during the week. Shopping is easier and getaway lodging is usually cheaper, less congestion etc. With minimal work, stress has been leaving my soul every week - forgot what that felt like (spectacular).

Pretty much as one would expect. Fitness improved big time for me as a I have more time to workout and be active. Monday not the happiest day, rather it's Sunday. Having to drive back to the city from the lake on Sunday afternoons was a real bummer. Not really busier than ever but I generally do things I enjoy rather than working.

#2 (My colleagues can't accept I'm retired) makes sense. Someone who is working either wants to work, needs the money, or fears the unknown that is retirement. None of these things applies to somebody who has ER'd.

Here is his list of ten things that changed after ER:

1. Mondays became the best day of the week.
2. My colleagues can't accept that I'm retired.
3. I'm busier than ever.
4. I'm in the best physical shape of my life.
5. I've gotten very comfortable wearing casual clothes.
6. My family relationships are much better.
7. I'm learning and growing more than ever.
8. I can't go back to work anymore.
9. The stress is gone.
10. I've turned into a morning person.

I'd say that I have no clue about #2, because I don't hang out with my colleagues any more. I'm retired. Likewise, #8 is pretty puzzling to me because when I retired, I retired.

I have no idea about #6 because most of my family is dead.

As for #10, when working I always thought I was a morning person but in retirement, have found that is not the case. I just never had the option to sleep in before.

These 10 things kind of hold true for me.

But I've always been a morning person.
And I question if I'm in the best physical shape of my life now. Close, but I can't run or bike as fast/far as I used to, and I can't lift as much weight now.

I don't know if he mentions this in this article but I take a really long time in getting things done in retirement.

While I thought it was a good read, the "retired" author isn't really retired. Sure you have a lot of freedom as a blogger that you don't as a desk jockey, but it's still a job.

1, 3, 4, 8 and 9 stand out for me.

The other thing that is a biggie for me as a retired teacher is not on the list:

Not being bothered one bit by the Back To School sale signs that start showing up in late July.
Who cares?

I can relate to them all.

I concur with all 10, except #10. Don't think I'll ever be a morning person. I would add #11. Creativity has taken a much larger role in my life than expected (and I like it).

Why one has to be "busier than never" in retirement? I would consider that as a miserable retirement.

Why one has to be "busier than never" in retirement? I would consider that as a miserable retirement.
Being busy doing something you love is not miserable for many of us.

That was my thought. I actually found the article annoying. He seems very Type A and driven in retirement. And quite boastful. It's all about how he's "busier than ever," "in the best physical shape of his life," pursued by headhunters, etc., etc.

1, 3, 4, 8 and 9 stand out for me.

The other thing that is a biggie for me as a retired teacher is not on the list:

Not being bothered one bit by the Back To School sale signs that start showing up in late July.
Who cares?

1+
I taught school in the 70's for a few years. First thing I noticed when I changed careers is how nice the month of September is-cooler weather, but still beautiful (Midwest)-"why have I always hated it"? Duh, since age 5, August-Sept. has always been "back to school time", emotionally trashing the glorious days of September. No such worries for the last 30+years.

I can relate to most of these and would add that I now rarely set an alarm clock and thus get enough sleep most nights. Perhaps not a surprise but still something I appreciate.

That was my thought. I actually found the article annoying. He seems very Type A and driven in retirement. And quite boastful. It's all about how he's "busier than ever," "in the best physical shape of his life," pursued by headhunters, etc., etc.

That was my impression as well... "I like to look nice and professional." I got through #6 and then just scanned the rest. Too annoying to read further. And certainly no revelations about ER.

I don't know if he mentions this in this article but I take a really long time in getting things done in retirement.
If I said I was going to do it, I will do it when I get around to it. You don't have to mention it every six months!

Back
Top Bottom