2020 Investment Performance Thread

I was down just :banghead:

After today I am down another :eek:

:hide:

@ almost 77 years old with a very ill DW, we are down about 5% overall. We were 20/80 earlier this year and sold off most of the 20% equities (one ETF and one MF) earlier in March. We have a handfull of preferreds and keeping them.

We do not have a big retirement chunk ($$$$) and what we have is plenty along with SS so we are pretty much looking at playing safe, AA wise and FI wise. No pensions here either. No debt, no more kids, etc.

I see this MESS as going on through the Summer and until then, won't be "jumping" at SCHB or some other all US market ETF to get back to 20%.

We are more worried about getting the CV 19 than about the market. If we get that (especially DW with COPD and on O2), the stock market won't be an issue.

As of tonight down just over 7% YTD. Yet remain a few ticks above 30x our retirement budget. Full speed ahead to retirement in 4 months. I worked my whole life for this, a virus isn’t going to stop me. :dance:

Down about 12% ytd, but have some SPY puts that don’t expire till May and have been buffering my declines in equities. Ultimately the profits from those will go back into equities as part of rebalancing my equity percentage up.

Down -13.3% YTD.
Got rid of small stock and Int'l stock early in the year., plus moved 5.5% to Tsy on 02/19.
Have not rebalanced back to 55/45. At 42% equities right now, so market timing there I guess.

-21.42% YTD as of this morning. Up 1.5% from retirement start date of 1/1/17.
Since I budgeted for 4% inflation and only 2% returns I am still better than my worst case scenario used to base retirement on.

Down 8.04%. 13/54/33

Thought I made the right move changing my AA a couple of weeks ago, but bonds are getting killed too. Oh well. We'll be fine. I'm more worried about a few of my close family who work hourly jobs that will probably go away. We'll try to help out as much as possible.

I think I win the losing game, so far!

Down 24.7% YTD. I am (was) an 80/20 allocation as of the new year. And I've had 5 full years of gains in the market before retiring in early 2015 (age 58 presently), so sequence of returns risk doesn't really scare me.

But I still have 38x expenses, and enough cash and short term bond funds to go for about ten years. And that doesn't count social security. So I just don't care -- that much. I guess. Sort of. More or less. Maybe.

I am tempted to sell some bond funds and then buy equities. I know market timing is a no-no, but if I buy somewhere on the downward slide, it is enticing. For instance, if I sold about three years worth of the ten years of living expenses I have in bonds and cash, I would still have enough assets in cash and bonds to go for seven years or so. I could even buy stocks over the course of a few months, sort of dollar-cost averaging...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I am in a similar boat to you but I guess we are more like 70/30. I thought that was pretty good considering how young we are (50). Getting hit pretty hard though compared to people who are 20/80. Oh well, either it works out or it doesn't. There is always money in the banana stand.

-14.6% year to date. Was about 50/50 equities/fixed, but not anymore.

We are down since 1-Jan-20 <-13.4%>

Starting to buy back some of the stock Index Funds to move the AA back towards the target balances of what we were in the ball park on 1-Jan-20.

We had deferred retirement effective on 1-Jan-20, and now that is looking like a good thing as we are still working and will just keep on awhile longer to ride the current hysteria / crisis out as best we can.
QyGozV0l.png

Last edited:
now down 32.23% YTD :(

actually, that's probably overstated - more like 24% or so, when factoring in cost basis. Found a way to shift the little chart that Schwab shows me so that it only shows investment accounts. Also found a reasonable Gain/Loss calculation.

At that rate, you may need to change your screen name.... Lo Money? No Money? I dunno. :D

:LOL:

Nah. This is my fourth financial plunge as an adult. While (My)MMV, my portfolio has always roared back. With 38x expenses, I will be fine.

Not hearing any other suggestions, I am going to simply rebalance back to 80/20, wash my hands for 20 seconds, then go for a jog.

Last edited:
Like seeing a bad accident... you tell yourself "Don't look." but you do...

I usually only do total portfolio value logins/"pulls" of all balances at the first of the month. But I decided to do it just now as these are extraordinary times. Like someone else said, the % drop looks better then the $ drop. At a 50/50/0 AA, we have dropped 16.17% YTD.

It stings, but while I am FIRE'ed and DW stilll works, we are not drawing anything from the portfolio. DW plans to retire in 2.5 years, I am optimistic that things will have recovered by then....

Last edited:
Nearly all bond and TIPS funds and cash here, yet I don't have the nerve to look. What would normally be a solid foundation (bonds) during a time of a bear market, not this time around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom