2021 Investment Performance Thread

Stay to May and go away?

If someone on January 1 guaranteed me 10% return for 2021 (no more, no less), I would have jumped at it and slept well at night.

Sounds like you should write some covered calls on SPY :)

... Inflation is going up all over...was just reading an article today that regular commodities food/paper goods were going to be increasing prices significantly as companies pass on costs to consumers.

Stocks seem to be the only game in town as prices go up on things.

That is certainly what they want you to think.

I actually don't perceive inflation as particularly severe. 2.62% for the last year... 3.54% for the last 6 months but candidly like looking at investment returns very short periods can be very misleading.

I think we might get a spike of inflation due to pent-up demand as things open up but then it will settle in to the Fed's target range.

Last edited:
5.5% on a 50/50 portfolio. Bonds are holding back the returns, but they propped up the returns last year.

I actually don't perceive inflation as particularly severe. 2.62% for the last year... 3.54% for the last 6 months but candidly like looking at investment returns very short periods can be very misleading.

I think we might get a spike of inflation due to pent-up demand as things open up but then it will settle in to the Fed's target range.

The official inflation numbers are a joke.

4/30/2021
YTD: up 6 years of living expenses
AA: 20 years in FI and the rest in equities

2020: up 12 years of living expenses

Last edited:
The official inflation numbers are a joke.

Yeah, it always hands me a laugh when they say EXCLUDING (what? energy, food, etc.) Even then, I see what I see and prices are headed up - fast! Of course, YMMV.

inflation impact depends a lot on expenditure , since i live a fairly frugal lifestyle ( like owning no car ... ) some inflation impact has been delayed ( NOT avoided completely )

i expect returns to be further affected in the coming year ... but will that present more cheap opportunities to buy extra future income ??

i just try to play the cards i am dealt as sensibly as i can

I still can't see investing in bonds. Inflation is going up all over...was just reading an article today that regular commodities food/paper goods were going to be increasing prices significantly as companies pass on costs to consumers.

Stocks seem to be the only game in town as prices go up on things.

in Australia a couple of high profile fund managers are of a similar opinion

( that stocks are the only game in town ) however that doesn't stop me WATCHING for other investment options becoming attractive in the future ( for example floating rate or i believe you call it 'inflation-adjusted' debt ) buying such debt at a discount to the coupon price MIGHT be a future winner .

currently i am using REITs as a bond substitute but that has it's risks as well

don't just watch for inflation , but SHRINKflation as well ( that is to be spotted in Australia )

Up 6.2%. My chemical industry fund is outperforming all my other funds. Even with a bit of a comeback this month, my bond fund is in the red.

When will the correction come? By how much?

Up

When will the correction come? By how much?

ah ! the billion ( or is it trillion ) dollar question

just remember we had one in February/March 2020 , so the question to ask will it be a 'double-dip' , if the answer is NO ( i i don't believe it is ) the next correction could be six or more years away , remember how few there where between the GFC and 2020 ( there were SOME , but not many jaw-droppers )

Here's my progress so far this year:

Jan 2021: -0.69% YTD
Feb 2021: +2.06% YTD
Mar 2021: +3.71% YTD
Apr 2021: +8.61% YTD

I'm up 10.03% YTD.

Up 4.5% YTD. Asset allocation is 50/50. This includes all funds and cash, I don't omit checking accounts, sinking funds, etc.

YTD on 4/30/2021: 12.4% with a stock AA of 76%

What goes up the month of April: metal and fertilizer mining companies, consumer staples companies

What goes down: semiconductor, energy, biotech

Same old 65/30/5 AA. Improved to a 6.1% return which works just fine for me.

As of May 1st up 10.72% YTD with a 85/15 AA.

I'm all over the board. My 401K is up 4.6% on a 40/60 AA and my gambling Roth is up 19%. The other accounts are around 10%

I have some real stinkers in our big accounts. Vanguard Total International Stock Index fund is only up 3.94% YTD

Overall though, about a 7% to 8% YTD return

Silly question but how are you calculating your YTD returns? I can see what we have today vs what we had on 12/31/20 but how do I account for new money that has gone in or spending that has come out and come up with a figure for the return?

Back
Top Bottom