2021 Investment Performance Thread

Thru end of April up 20.6% on asset allocation now at 85/15.

I remember that you were heavy in energy stocks in the past (showing off my "excellent" memory here :) ).

If you still are, energy stocks have been doing well recently YTD. Oil was down to $30/barrel this time last year, and up to higher than $60 currently.

I remember that you were heavy in energy stocks in the past (showing off my "excellent" memory here :) ).

If you still are, energy stocks have been doing well recently YTD. Oil was down to $30/barrel this time last year, and up to higher than $60 currently.

Ok, I'm really amazed anyone would remember that or even dig it out of the history. But yes, our portfolio return to date is strongly driven by our heavy investment in energy stocks. Of course last year, our return was hurt by them. So a good part of our high returns this year are due to the continued rebound of energy from last year. The other big impact on 2021 returns was that back in the 2020 correction we moved ~25% of our portfolio into equity funds. That money had been in bond funds before. So a larger part of our portfolio is enjoying the current bull run.

Silly question but how are you calculating your YTD returns? I can see what we have today vs what we had on 12/31/20 but how do I account for new money that has gone in or spending that has come out and come up with a figure for the return?
Like Street I also use the Money Chimp performance calculator.

Ok, I'm really amazed anyone would remember that or even dig it out of the history. But yes, our portfolio return to date is strongly driven by our heavy investment in energy stocks. Of course last year, our return was hurt by them. So a good part of our high returns this year are due to the continued rebound of energy from last year. The other big impact on 2021 returns was that back in the 2020 correction we moved ~25% of our portfolio into equity funds. That money had been in bond funds before. So a larger part of our portfolio is enjoying the current bull run.

I remember your past post from a few years ago, because at that time I was also hurting from my overweight in energy stocks. :)

I did not divest of these stocks, and just let them be. Some are in the green now, but some are still in the red.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021
Our 50/50 pie is now 2.84% larger YTD.
Portfolio gettin' portly.
:wiseone:
April 2021 pie increased 2.43%.
2021 YTD up 5.27%.

This contrasts nicely with a year ago:
April 2020 6.26% increase.
2020 YTD -6.28%.

Still 50/50. Spouse has decided to work another year.
:popcorn:

Up 6.9% for the year (spend adjusted, all-in) on a roughly 67/33 AA.

I'm also wondering about when the crash will come, how big, and how long, but trying to enjoy this, while it lasts.

Sounds like everybody is doing a good job of matching the market for their asset allocation. Numbers that deviate too much either indicate the person is the next Warren Buffet or has a riskier portfolio than the market.

I'm +7.9% on 79% stock/ 15% bond/ 6% cash.

Didn't realize I was holding that much cash until I added it all up, but considering bonds lost money, maybe being heavier than normal on cash was lucky (or as I will tell the wife, it was brilliant).

Jan 21 + ?? I didn't check whoops
Feb 21 +1.58% after a pull-back
Mar 21 +8.26% Not a bad month but still trailing all 3 major indexes

+7.15% thru 4/30.

65-15-10-10.

But more fun to look at trailing 12 months at +30%. Lol.

Up 15.7% YTD as of 4/30/21.
Portfolio is 80/20.
I use the "Return Spreadsheet for Bogleheads".

Attachments

• YTD.jpg
    YTD.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
10.46% YTD for all accounts. 50.54% for 1 year on same accounts. 86/14 current AA thanks to the big stock increases and not so good fixed income results.

Looks like everyone who is above 70% stocks is going to have to hack off about 1.5% today from their YTD.

This is true, but still at 11.3% YTD with 95% stocks. Not complaining in the least. :)

Yeah, I am right at 70% and it is still good at about a 8% return but I am concerned that inflation is not what is being reported so is 8% really that good?

Looks like everyone who is above 70% stocks is going to have to hack off about 1.5% today from their YTD.

Why you said that? The Dow was at 33875 on 4/30, and closed today higher at 34133. :cool:

But, it's too bad my stash does not follow the Dow, despite having a ton of "old economy" stocks. Who else here also has X (US Steel), XOM (Exxon Mobil), AA (Alcoa), LPX (Louisiana Pacific), etc...? X is up 7.9% today, LPX up 7.5%, AA up 3.9%, etc...

The bad thing is besides a ton of stocks going up today, I have 2 tons of stocks going down, such as semiconductors and biotechs.

Net result: from 12.39% YTD on 4/30, I am now at 11.21%. Only 1.18% down, not 1.5%. :)

Last edited:
I wonder if this (or the equivalent) thread will be as popular during the next bear. Inquiring minds want to know, so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom