2022 Investment Performance Thread

From 30-Apr-22,
Will be starting May with the Portfolio down <-9.08%> since 1-Jan-22.
Current AA is 53.5% Equities, 43.3% Bonds & 3.2% Cash

Update - As of 14-May Portfolio is <-10.12> since 1-Jan-22

Current AA is 53.0% Equities, 42.9% Bonds & 4.12% Cash

I find myself looking and posting more often on losses to date during this downturn vs when things was in the green.
I think it helps me to see that others are in similar situations and it helps ms gamboolgal and I to know that we are not the only ones.

Still we are "Standing there and doing nothing"

Up 1.06% YTD.

AA is 25% equities, 75% treasury bills and cash

Oil/energy stocks bought in Fall of 2021 is keeping me even.

Equities 36% -10.1%, RE 28% +1.8%, 36% fixed.
Should we take into account 8.3% inflation?

Should we take into account 8.3% inflation?

Yes, but keeping it separately for now does not add more to the pain of losing money on investable assets. :)

We can't help but will notice the high inflation in the days ahead.

And instead of watching talking heads about the. new company that is gonna inject something up my rear end and turn me into a virile good looking guy (which even God couldn't do) - -I'm still gonna ignore it.

THAT is one of the beat lines EVER!!

Beyond that these ‘stream of consciousness’ rants of yours (here and the other thread) make me wonder if you are OK? Maybe I am missing the sarcasm OR maybe I have numbed myself to the market and I should really be experiencing some PAIN telling me to DO SOMETHING. I don’t feel anything except warm anticipation of getting a decent return on fixed income assets at some point in the near future.

Inflation doesn’t bother me too much because I am lucky to be not raising a family anymore. I don’t have to buy a lot of fuel to go to work, either. Looking at price increases over a decade or so instead of a year or two, we haven’t had it so bad at all. Life is pretty good.

I'm usually pretty sanguine about the market. 2008/09 taught me to hold the line and not worry about big downturns; the bounce-back always comes, often with a vengeance.

In my mind, I say to myself "...once the Ukraine calms down, once gas prices return a manageable level, once inflation drops...ok, we have to give it a year or so to shake out and then everything will go back to normal..." I'm still of that mindset but I'm beginning to doubt myself a bit more even as I've been buying selectively and opportunistically.

The eternal optimist, historically, my timing is such that whenever I start thinking "this time is different" it's a sign that things ARE about to turn around. But I'm just not sure what 'normal' is anymore.

Not looking for debate or agreement, but just chiming in, venting a bit of frustration as Dow drops another 1000 today.

Last edited:
I’m just happy I’m still up from January 1, 2021. Trying to keep it positive. [emoji851]

I’m just happy I’m still up from January 1, 2021. Trying to keep it positive. [emoji851]

Not counting today, I'm pushed back to my Sept 2020 balance.

Not counting today, I'm pushed back to my Sept 2020 balance.

If I retreat back to my March 2020 low, I may do even more Roth conversions than I’ve already done. They’ll be on sale!

I did notice that most of what I typically buy were trading on lower than normal volumes (earlier today) so I'm buying again

I did notice that most of what I typically buy were trading on lower than normal volumes (earlier today) so I'm buying again

Reminds me of that proverb, beware the falling knife.

^^^^^
I'm wearing gloves, :) (this is with my speculation money)

A quick calculation and it looks like I lost 1.3% of today's buys. I rolled a seven today, unfortunately, it wasn't on the come out roll. (Craps players will understand that)

Last edited:
We will get a short covering rally soon. That will be done to clean out the shorts in preparation for the net leg down.

I have a rule. If the market tanks, don't look at our returns until it goes back to normal or our quarterly update.

Oh hell, had to look, as of Friday close -8.7% on ~ 40/60

After reading this thread I guess I shouldn't be pis%$^* and moaning about my ~1% YTD loss... It would be double digits if it were not for XOM and CVX.

Last edited:
Not bad. Would be worse without your energy exposure.

I don't have any energy except for what is in FXAIX and FCNTX. Wish I had bought energy last year.

I don't have any energy except for what is in FXAIX and FCNTX. Wish I had bought energy last year.

I realized later my reference should have been to a different Texas resident, "aja8888:.

Back
Top Bottom