3D Printer Recommendation

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I saw some posts on 3D printing but they were a few years old. Wondering if anyone has a 3D printer recommendation. I’m thinking about getting one for the grandkids. The middle grandkid took a week class over the summer at the community college and seemed to enjoy it.

I’d like to stay under $500 (less is better) and get a good beginner lever machine. What I’d like to avoid is something so cheap as to be more trouble than it’s worth. Problem is that I know nothing about 3D printers other than understanding what their output is. I also know that the grandson was using a program that the school gave him but that it only worked for the duration of the class. So, I’m not sure if they come with software or if there is any out there at a reasonable cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am also a 3d printer noob. I just this week purchased a "used/returned" Voxelab Aquila on eBay in "as-is" condition for about $70. I know, no returns, I took the chance. From what I read; it is supposed to be as good as the Ender 3 X2 at about 70% of the price new vs new. I got mine for about 30% of "new". I am in the process of putting it together and as a used piece of equipment, I found a missing screw and one bed spring. No big deal I expected to have some missing. non working parts. Everything I did receive, worked. I am waiting for my Amazon delivery for the new spring and some miscellaneous expendables (nozzels, nozzle cleaners, Bowden tube etc). So far, I am impressed. I can't say yet if it was a good choice yet. I can say that I have learned more about the printer with putting it together and verifying its functions than I would have learned if it worked right out of the box. I think all 3D printers need some assembly.

If you look at an Aquila, there are 3 different processors. They don't differentiate models by the processors inside. This was done in order to 2nd source the processor due to the current semiconductor shortage! From what I read the G32 and N32 are upgradeable" the H32 is less so. The likelihood of getting an H32 is very high with a new printer. It is an entry level unit

Free slicers for the printer are available. A slicer is the program that takes a 3d file and makes it into G-code: the X, Y and Z paths that the printer uses follows) Voxelab has one for their machines. Cura is a common program that works on many 3D printers.

Good luck on your choice, whatever it may be.

P.S from above. This afternoon I managed to print out my first test piece on the Voxelab Aquila. So far, so good.

I have the Ender 3 v2 Pro. I've played with it a little bit. Mostly calibration cubes and Benchys. Have yet to do anything "productive".

Frankly Built youtuber just did a recommendation video for the starter printers at several price range st

https://youtu.be/DQ1VJCMMlXA

I have an ender 3 v2. Did some lightweight house improvement projects with it ( remote motorized casement window opener was the most recent one ) and some toy prints. It is an OK printer and had Creality usual profile which is compatible with wide range of software.

To be honest the more significant component of the 3d print creation is the user's skills on creating 3d models on the computer before sending it to the slicer and converting the model file into g code, before printing it out.

Once the printer is set up and properly bed leveled, there is not too many tweaking needed (for the same material). All that is blocking me was putting large chunk of time to learn how to design the 3d model, either from drawings, or traces ( 3d printed car key ). It can get quite challenging to create a model with a computer software out of some shape that you want but difficult to measure. Tried the play doh mold. It did not work for me.

There are plenty of good printer choices within $500. Would probably be a better value to gift him a $200 printer, $100 worth of pla+ filament rolls / dry box, plus $200 3D modeling online course voucher.

Last edited:
I recently bought an Artillery Sidewinder 2. It is a good printer. A word of caution: 3D printing is still a fairly young technology and it can be quite finicky. There's lots of room for frustration in the processes. Each brand has its own proponents and you can learn a lot online. You may spend a lot of time replacing parts, tweaking settings etc. to get what you want.

Frankly Built youtuber just did a recommendation video for the starter printers at several price range st

https://youtu.be/DQ1VJCMMlXA

Thanks. This video was helpful. I ended up getting the Flsun Super Racer. It has some features I hope will make it easier to use. It has auto leveling and is said to handle filament changes well. It is also quicker than typical in the price range. I also got an extra spool of filament. I hope they enjoy it and learn from it.

I was going to go a bit cheaper but when I got to the store, the one I was considering was out so the Flsun it was. Some of the cheaper ones were not actually that good of a deal. In reading reviews/comments, the lower end printers tended to need upgrading and were more difficult to operate.

Thanks. This video was helpful. I ended up getting the Flsun Super Racer. It has some features I hope will make it easier to use. It has auto leveling and is said to handle filament changes well. It is also quicker than typical in the price range. I also got an extra spool of filament. I hope they enjoy it and learn from it.

I was going to go a bit cheaper but when I got to the store, the one I was considering was out so the Flsun it was. Some of the cheaper ones were not actually that good of a deal. In reading reviews/comments, the lower end printers tended to need upgrading and were more difficult to operate.

I'm in the daydreaming phase about going into 3D printing.

Just thought I'd ask you how things are going so far with your grankids' 3D venture.

Sometimes I go to Thingverse and see what creations are there. I even went as far as made an order on ebay to have a 3D printing service print something out.

So, now in the back of my mind, would be nice (if not too difficult to do) to just print out stuff myself in the future.

Here's one 3D printer question I'll toss out. I've seem some that are enclosed and others not. What are pros/cons of each approach?

I have had my current 3D printer for over 4 years. It is a FlashForge Creator Pro. It have made me over $250k when I had a small business after I retired making Drone Parts. I have since closed my business but keep the printer for my own projects. I still use it to this day. There are better updated ones to choose from now with better enclosures, but mine still prints very well indeed.

Key Take aways for me, I have tried all media types but stick to ABS as it is stronger and less Temperature sensitive that PLA that I started with because PLA was easier. But PLA parts left in a car will distort if left in a hot car. No good for drone parts.

Must haves IMHO.

1) Enclosed Printing Area
2) Heated Build Plate.
3) PEI Build Plate Surface (1/16" Inch)
4) Level Assist Build Plate
4) 12mm Vertical Build Plate Rods

Just my 2c.

I'm in the daydreaming phase about going into 3D printing.

Just thought I'd ask you how things are going so far with your grankids' 3D venture.

Sometimes I go to Thingverse and see what creations are there. I even went as far as made an order on ebay to have a 3D printing service print something out.

So, now in the back of my mind, would be nice (if not too difficult to do) to just print out stuff myself in the future.

Here's one 3D printer question I'll toss out. I've seem some that are enclosed and others not. What are pros/cons of each approach?

I ended up getting the Flsun Super Racer.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/649530/flsun-super-racer-(sr)-so-fast-3d-printer

Grand kids are enjoying it but it takes more than just pushing the “print” button to get it to work well. Therefore, they’ve had some successes and some complete failures. You kind of need that engineer mind to get into it and figure it out. The grandkids don’t have that gene. But, they’re learning and have created a few things they are happy with. The happiest moment so far was when the middle grandson printed a small hanger that the youngest granddaughter could use to hang up her doll clothes. She had a big smile on her face. The older grandson, at 16 has used it the most. Him and the middle grandson tend to print out characters related to the video games they play.

One thing that’s been very helpful is that there is a Facebook Group specifically for this printer. There’s a lot of information there and I’d recommend finding a source for help before you buy a printer. I didn’t know this one had such a group but I’m glad it’s there.

Were it not Christmas and had I not been reading the BTD thread, I probably would have got a less expensive printer, but this is a nice printer. The one that cost less that I had my eye on wasn’t in the store by the time I made the decision to buy. I think it was this one:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/629490/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-starter-fdm-3d-printer

The one thing I felt I needed to get was auto leveling. That one had it at a better price.

I ended up getting the Flsun Super Racer.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/649530/flsun-super-racer-(sr)-so-fast-3d-printer

Grand kids are enjoying it but it takes more than just pushing the “print” button to get it to work well. Therefore, they’ve had some successes and some complete failures. You kind of need that engineer mind to get into it and figure it out. The grandkids don’t have that gene. But, they’re learning and have created a few things they are happy with. The happiest moment so far was when the middle grandson printed a small hanger that the youngest granddaughter could use to hang up her doll clothes. She had a big smile on her face. The older grandson, at 16 has used it the most. Him and the middle grandson tend to print out characters related to the video games they play.

One thing that’s been very helpful is that there is a Facebook Group specifically for this printer. There’s a lot of information there and I’d recommend finding a source for help before you buy a printer. I didn’t know this one had such a group but I’m glad it’s there.

Were it not Christmas and had I not been reading the BTD thread, I probably would have got a less expensive printer, but this is a nice printer. The one that cost less that I had my eye on wasn’t in the store by the time I made the decision to buy. I think it was this one:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/629490/creality-cr-6-se-leveling-free-starter-fdm-3d-printer

The one thing I felt I needed to get was auto leveling. That one had it at a better price.

That's a sweet story, especially the small hanger for the little ones doll clothes.

As I posted, I'm still in the daydreaming state at the moment. On one hand, a part of me thinks, that's a lot of money to spend of something that prints out toy figures. On the other, I can see some good uses. Say something as simple as doorstops, I could see.

Did some crash course youtube browsing on 3D Printers. Maybe this Christmas will be a 3D printer Christmas for me. That is, if I can wait that long :popcorn:.

Did some crash course youtube browsing on 3D Printers. Maybe this Christmas will be a 3D printer Christmas for me. That is, if I can wait that long :popcorn:.
I'm active in an R/C (radio control) modeler's forum and many of those guys are also big into 3D printing, as the two hobbies mesh well together. People are now printing entire airplanes. Not all at once, but in parts that are later assembled. And of course smaller parts for other airplanes like cowlings and fairings are generally faster/easier to print than to make by other means.

It's not just airplanes of course - railroad modelers, cars/trucks, and boaters also use them.

I'm active in an R/C (radio control) modeler's forum and many of those guys are also big into 3D printing, as the two hobbies mesh well together. People are now printing entire airplanes. Not all at once, but in parts that are later assembled. And of course smaller parts for other airplanes like cowlings and fairings are generally faster/easier to print than to make by other means.

It's not just airplanes of course - railroad modelers, cars/trucks, and boaters also use them.

Wondering now, how big are the 3D printers that print airplane parts? I'd think they have to be bigger than common ones for households. Otherwise, that'll be some jigsaw puzzle to put together.

Wondering now, how big are the 3D printers that print airplane parts? I'd think they have to be bigger than common ones for households. Otherwise, that'll be some jigsaw puzzle to put together.

This is but one of many:

I haven't bought a 3D printer (yet), but that doesn't mean I can't get 3D prints.

I sorely needed a shade for a used GPS I bought off ebay as in the sun the GPS screen is pretty much not visible.

On ebay, there are plenty of 3D printing services where folks give a quote to print something on a 3D printer, then send the result.

I ended up getting a shade printed. Actually, had to try more than once as the first one was too tight a fit.

As for 3D printing, there's such a thing as amount of shrinkage depending on what type of filament used. Who knew? :blush:

Attachments

• gps shade.JPG
    gps shade.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
Several of our local libraries have 3D printers that are free to use, available by reservation (small fee for materials).

Back
Top Bottom