5 Day Countdown to Get Back on Disney+

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's the Sneak Peek from 10 months ago:

This is the Official Trailer from last month:

And a mini documentary posted yesterday by John Harris:

Nice minidoc! I hadn’t heard about the new box set. Back when Let It Be (the album) was released, two family members had headed over to London for a vacation. They brought back a present for me, a boxed version of the album with a big photo book of the sessions, maybe a UK-only version? Don’t know but I treasured and still have it.

I don't get Disney+, so I'm hoping that they'll release an extended blu-ray box set soon afterward--with even more hours than the six hours planned for next week. From the attached video I enjoyed learning how they utilized new software to separate the voices, talking and instruments, etc.

Can’t wait to see it, but it appears we’ll get Disney+ with Hulu+Live starting Dec 21, so I’ll probably wait til then…

I did see the Let It Be movie back in 1970, but this sounds like lots more footage.

Can’t wait to see it, but it appears we’ll get Disney+ with Hulu+Live starting Dec 21, so I’ll probably wait til then…

I did see the Let It Be movie back in 1970, but this sounds like lots more footage.

I saw it in the theatre in 1982 at some local college event. I remember it being of grainy quality on screen, but I enjoyed it being a Beatles fan. I have a bootleg version of it bought off Amazon years ago. It often got stigmatized as viewing the break up of the band.
I always viewed that as revisionist history, as the band went back into studio after Let it Be and recorded arguably their best album Abby Road. Its just that Let It Be came out after Abby Road which perpetuated the theory.

I’m not sure where I saw it (may have been a film about George Martin on Prime) or if it’s fact but I thought it was interesting that the signature descending tone at the beginning of “Here Comes The Sun” was due to a failing Moog synthesizer which was a then-new innovation. The Beatles kept it (excellent decision I think).

I saw it in the theatre in 1982 at some local college event. I remember it being of grainy quality on screen, but I enjoyed it being a Beatles fan. I have a bootleg version of it bought off Amazon years ago. It often got stigmatized as viewing the break up of the band.
I always viewed that as revisionist history, as the band went back into studio after Let it Be and recorded arguably their best album Abby Road. Its just that Let It Be came out after Abby Road which perpetuated the theory.
Sorta. Most of Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road, but not all of it. Some of the songs on the album were significantly re-recorded and at least one came after AR. No matter, still the greatest rock band of all time, especially for those who remember first hand how revolutionary almost every Beatles album was in its time. I’m not sure any other band advanced the art form more in their respective time before or since.
Sentimentally, Abbey Road has the edge, but in cold chronological terms it’s debatable. Sure, they recorded most of Let It Be in January 1969. But all four Beatles kept working on Let It Be after Abbey Road came out. As RS contributing editor David Browne notes in his excellent book Fire and Rain, Paul, George and Ringo went into the studio on January 3, 1970 to cut “I Me Mine” – at that point, Abbey Road had been out for months. Ringo was still recording drum tracks as late as April 1970.

There are other accountings, here’s just one https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...nna-argue-about-the-beatles-last-album-82944/

Last edited:
And to think that the Beatles created their legendary and gold-standard body of work, and then broke up, all before any of them had turned 30.

Clip of Don't Let Me Down rehearsal posted a few hours ago:

Sorta. Most of Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road, but not all of it. Some of the songs on the album were significantly re-recorded and at least one came after AR. No matter, still the greatest rock band of all time, especially for those who remember first hand how revolutionary almost every Beatles album was in its time. I’m not sure any other band advanced the art form more in their respective time before or since.

There are other accountings, here’s just one https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...nna-argue-about-the-beatles-last-album-82944/

Granted that is true, and good point, but the last time they were all together performing/working together as a group was the Abby Road road album.
August 20, 1969, was the last time the four Beatles were together in the recording studio.

They were recording the final over-dubs of John's song "I Want You (She's So Heavy)," a stark, raw love song written by John. The band's final session was spent working on a fervent love song to Yoko Ono.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/27783/final-days-beatles

They actually didnt get too personally involved in the final production of Let it Be album. Thus the fury by Macca on all the overdubs on Long and Winding Road which ticked him off after he heard it, from Phil Spectors production. But that is what happens when you dont oversee whats going on. This lead to Macca getting the “Let It Be Naked” version released in early 2000’s.

I read Macca and Ringo said all the post Let It Be barking from movie and such had them misremember into believing it was true too. This is why they like the new production of the Get Back sessions as it shows a lot of the good times they had also too. But…George did quit for a day or two and that cant be whitewashed from that time period. So there was problems, do what degree Im not sure if they could identify any seminal event. Like all breaks ups, its complicated I guess.

...But…George did quit for a day or two and that cant be whitewashed from that time period. So there was problems, do what degree Im not sure if they could identify any seminal event. Like all breaks ups, its complicated I guess.
Ringo goes into that toward the end of this 1978 interview with Mike Douglas:

I was just looking at Disney+ subscription for their Nat Geo video content, but DH would definitely go for this!

And to think that the Beatles created their legendary and gold-standard body of work, and then broke up, all before any of them had turned 30.
True enough, though John and Paul were together for about 14 years, starting in 1957, starting long before everyone knew them. And between the unparalleled intensity of the experience as “The Beatles” and the fact they went from teenage boys to grown adults - it’s not surprising they broke up 1970ish. I doubt any of us could appreciate the expectations they were under while they were The Beatles, impossible to sustain? Though the Stones seemed to manage…

Last edited:
This site is awesome too.
https://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml

For example, here is a snippet from the "Act Naturally" analysis.
The music is built on a sturdy and frugal set of chords limited to just I, IV, V, and V-of-V; the latter held back for strategic deployment at the end of the bridge. The arrangement is characterized by a recurrent obbligato for the low strings of the guitar (with the low E tuned down to D!) and the tapping of drumsticks.

I've watched other series on Disney+ and it does have much to offer.

According to the promo I was emailed today by The Beatles: "The Beatles: Get Back also features – for the first time in its entirety – the bands’ last live performance as a group, the unforgettable rooftop concert on London’s Savile Row, ..." [Bolding mine.]

Does this Dec. 1968 Jefferson Airplane "rooftop concert"--a few months earlier--look/feel familiar?

Superb camera work there.

True enough, though John and Paul were together for about 14 years, starting in 1957, starting long before everyone knew them. And between the unparalleled intensity of the experience as “The Beatles” and the fact they went from teenage boys to grown adults - it’s not surprising they broke up 1970ish. I doubt any of us could appreciate the expectations they were under while they were The Beatles, impossible to sustain?

Though the Stones seemed to manage…

Just barely...Keith and Mick released solo albums in the late 80's-early 90's. Jagger's were failures, Richards' still sound good today. IMO they put it back on track with Voodoo Lounge in 1994 and have been the best Stones tribute band since ;)

Sorry for the non-Beatles, British Invasion detour :flowers:

Did anyone watch (or try to watch) the first episode of “Get Back” yesterday on Disney+?
I have to say that it was so boring and tedious I only made it to Day 5 before turning it off. Maybe episode 2 with actual concerts will get better today.
Am I alone feeling this way about it?

Did anyone watch (or try to watch) the first episode of “Get Back” yesterday on Disney+?
I have to say that it was so boring and tedious I only made it to Day 5 before turning it off. Maybe episode 2 with actual concerts will get better today.

Everyone is different, but I would think any person who is not a true Beatle diehard, isnt familiar with what was actually on the tapes from watching the old Let it Be movie, or doesnt know all the songs on Let it Be and Abby Road may share your feelings and be let down a bit.
The “concert” may be a let down also to casual person, as its not really a polished concert but actually more of a “live recording session”. You may not even know most of songs if you dont have the Let it Be album.

The rooftop concert consisted of nine takes of five Beatles songs: three takes of "Get Back"; two takes each of "Don't Let Me Down" and "I've Got a Feeling"; and one take each of "One After 909" and "Dig a Pony".

Just barely...Keith and Mick released solo albums in the late 80's-early 90's. Jagger's were failures, Richards' still sound good today. IMO they put it back on track with Voodoo Lounge in 1994 and have been the best Stones tribute band since ;)

Sorry for the non-Beatles, British Invasion detour :flowers:

Your tough on poor Mick, Gator. I bought that album “She’s The Boss” in college back in ‘85. It certainly was a commercial success as album went platinum and spawned 2 top 5 radio airplay hits with “Just Another Night” getting to number 1.

You are not alone.

I suspect I'll be fascinated to watch no matter what, but this review makes it easier for me to wait until Dec 21 when Disney+ will be included with our Hulu+Live subscription...

Back
Top Bottom