A Question for the Women on the Board

I never saw the show (I rarely watch TV), but I can tell you it was wildly popular among the young female associates in my NYC law firm.

Thank god I am not the only one who doesn't get what the hoo-ha is about this movie. I probably watched one episode and found it so boring I never watched it again. SJP dresses like a fashion tragic rather a fashion icon. Whenever the girls at work are discussing this show like it was the best thing since sliced bread, I carefully fade into the background as an dissention is not appreciated.

Not a huge fan, so I probably won't go to see SATC. The few episodes of the series I saw on TV, though, helped me understand why so many of my DD's friends thought they would all become journalists making six-figure salaries and living millionaire lifestyles in NYC. -- I kinda burst their bubbles when I shared an article I found that listed what some of the jobs portrayed on TV paid in real life.

A friend of mine has suggested a "girl's night" to see the movie, and I'll probably join in. I liked the show, watched it on DVD and British television (no HBO here, either). It was mostly about the fashion and the female friendships for me...the view of male/female relationships was boring if not offensive.

I've watched some re-run episodes on non-HBO channels. Frankly the gals are dating so many different guys, and different seasons of the show are on different channels at the same time, that when I channel-surf I get very confused (ie. Carrie is with Big on Channel 2 and her other boyish boyfriend on Channel 6, or were they both on Channel 10 in the same episode, and she was just sleeping with them both?). It can be entertaining, but I'm definitely not spending $ to see the movie.

I saw a couple episodes of Sex/City by happenstance. Was never inspired to try to watch it on a regular basis, so I won't bother to go see the movie either.

If we go see a movie in the next couple weeks, it will be Iron Man. That one looks intriguing!

--Linney

Never watched the TV show and have zero interest in seeing the movie.

No interest in the movie and never had any interest in the show.. watched 5 minutes of it and it seemed so contrived. It didn't even seem to be particularly funny, or dramatic, or anything.. actually it seemed like a MAN's imaging of what women could be like.

For spoiled neurotic New Yorkers I'd much rather watch Seinfeld. That was more true-to-life.. (I'm thinking Elaine desperately in search of "the sponge"! And she has to decide if her date is "sponge-worthy"! Been there!).

I liked the series a lot and will be seeing it, hopefully, when it comes out!

I never had cable except for one sem in college. So, I have always been either oblivious of or behind on the popular cable TV shows.

Back when we had a TV, I saw old reruns of Sex and the City on a regular (non-cable) network after the show had stopped running on HBO. I liked the show. I liked the portrayed friendship among the four women.

It was kind of jumbled for me because the reruns were not shown in order. So I began borrowing the show DVD's from the public libe but got sidetracked and stopped. Someday, I will resume.

I will wait until the movie is on DVD and borrow it from the library.

(Right now, I just finished seeing on DVD the first season of the Gilmore Girls. The libe has filled my reservation for the 2nd season's 1st DVD. I'm excited!)

I have to say that I enjoyed the Sex/City episode where the one who always buys shoes did not have enough money to buy her apartment when it went co-op. Because she spent her money on shoes.

It was Carrie, dear Carrie Bradshaw played by Sarah Jessica Parker. How could someone, who loves shoes as I do, not be dear to me?:rolleyes: I can totally relate to her in this aspect, except for the types of shoes she buys. (I cannot walk in high heels, so I don't buy them.)

I did like the TV show. It was so removed from the reality of my life (just like most TV shows are), but a very well done show.

I have no plans to see the movie. I am somewhat older now, and so are the women from Sex in the City. I don't really care if Carrie marries Mr. Big or not.

The show is fun - you can live vicariously through the characters -they are such exaggerations.

After a while though, I started to feel like Carrie's character was getting a bit old to have some of the epiphany's she was having or stepping into the same pile of doo doo over and over again...but hey, we all learn differently!

But overall it's just entertainment!

Never watched the show.
I didn't even know there was a movie coming out!

Thumbs way up for Iron Man - but don't think about it too much. NOTE: Final scene after the credits roll - we left too early - drat! Amazing CGI....

But Calmloki, I have to think about it. Can't spoil the ending here but I'll be reading the Google combo of: "Homeland Security" and "Iron Man" at coffee break this week. I can hardly believe what I thought at the end, and wonder how many re-writes did it go through before Homeland Security said, "Ok, go with it!" It is a great movie, I want to see it again real soon. IMO, the best movies are a perfect reflection of their time and culture which brings us back to "Sex and the City."

I love "Summer Movies." (SO majored in cartooning). Saw previews of the new Batman, Narnia, Incredible Hulk, and an aging Indiana Jones; want to see them all and now I want to see SATC, as well. I didn't see the last TV episode but it got rave reviews, what could be more perfect than Carrie's F-me shoes landing in dog poo? Where do they go from there? Where is the culture now?

But Calmloki, I have to think about it. Can't spoil the ending here but I'll be reading the Google combo of: "Homeland Security" and "Iron Man" at coffee break this week. I can hardly believe what I thought at the end, and wonder how many re-writes did it go through before Homeland Security said, "Ok, go with it!" It is a great movie, I want to see it again real soon. IMO, the best movies are a perfect reflection of their time and culture which brings us back to "Sex and the City."

I love "Summer Movies." (SO majored in cartooning). Saw previews of the new Batman, Narnia, Incredible Hulk, and an aging Indiana Jones; want to see them all and now I want to see SATC, as well. I didn't see the last TV episode but it got rave reviews, what could be more perfect than Carrie's F-me shoes landing in dog poo? Where do they go from there? Where is the culture now?

Oh crap, I left early too!

I watched the show when it was on HBO, but have no desire to spend $10 in a movie theatre to see it. If it's on HBO and i'm extremely bored, maybe I'll watch it...

Watch the show occasionally, but the gal friends I have that just cannot wait to see each episode have all been married waaaay too long, I guess. As for me, I have single girlfriends who live their own Sex and the City lives, so it isn't all that exciting to me.
Not planning on seeing the movie, tho. I have a feeling I'll be let down by it.
I can say, however, that Carrie's beau's have all been hotties, for the most part. Who wouldn't like to meet a Mr. Big in real life?

No desire to see SATC.

In the next town over on Monday nights, they are screening Bond movies all summer for free outside in a small park-like area. Tonight is From Russia with Love (they are going in order, saw Dr. No for the first time in a long time last week!).

Although I am very much looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie, I will probably wait until it plays at our "cinema and drafthouse", where one night a week the movies cost $1. :)

Bond, James Bond. :cool:

Yeah!

When my husband-to-be asked me out on our first movie date, he very tentatively suggested the latest James Bond movie. My kinda guy! I love the James Bond movies.. It was a good sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom