AAPL stock - long term opinions

Sorry should have been FaceBook.

Either mistyped or autocorrected.

I don't know what to say...closed at almost $134.18 today (536.72, pre-split). It is now a way outsized portion of my portfolio (as far as how much of of one's portfolio should be in one stock). Any rationale part my brain is drowned out by the greedier part, LOL. We haven't even got to the new phone releases coming up...

I don't know what to say...closed at almost $134.18 today (536.72, pre-split). It is now a way outsized portion of my portfolio (as far as how much of of one's portfolio should be in one stock). Any rationale part my brain is drowned out by the greedier part, LOL. We haven't even got to the new phone releases coming up...

Between Apple, Amazon and Chipotle, I’ve gained $48,000 since Aug 21 when I decided to buy back part of some stocks I sold because of the previous big run up.

AAPL shareholders have to pay it back, buy up iPhone 12s, Apple Watch Series 6, etc.

New iPads too!

Cha-Ching!

I tend to be numbers focused. As a 2t company it is about 40x current annual earnings rate. Not outrageous. But there is one big problem.

How much can a 2t company grow?

Assuming the company holds the same margins it has to double sales to get to 20x PE

Not outrageous? Me thinks it is.

I tend to be numbers focused. As a 2t company it is about 40x current annual earnings rate. Not outrageous. But there is one big problem.

How much can a 2t company grow?

Assuming the company holds the same margins it has to double sales to get to 20x PE

I agree that they need to REALLY grow revenue and PE of 40 is out of my comfort zone. That said, after selling out before the split I got back in at $125, just 100 shares, but would consider buying more if there is a pullback of say 25-30%. At a PE of 30 still expensive but it is growing and these things can continue much longer than I ever think. I'll put in a stop loss at some point so I don't have to watch so close and can lock in some more gains.

Who knows, they may get into grocery business or into takeout delivery on the new iDrone. :LOL:

I had AAPL since the late 1990's. When they came out with the ipod and iphone and when my kids hounded me to buy them one- I knew the company would be ultra successful.

Bought and sold. I've gone thru the stock splits as well. Frankly, I love the products and I love the stock. AAPL paid for my daughter's undergrad and medical school tuition. And now, AAPL is still my largest holding. If I lose 50 percent of my gains, I'm still way ahead. Until I see and hear sigificant hurdles and head winds, I'll probably hold them for the foreseeable future.

We inherited AAPL shares a few years ago. It has increased considerably since that time. Too much to cash in and not have to pay considerable taxes. So we won't be selling or buying any and will leave it to the kids when they can start with a new basis. I will never know the rationale of why they chose to split at this time but it doesn't make me comfortable.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I will never know the rationale of why they chose to split at this time but it doesn't make me comfortable.

Cheers!

I have heard more than one investor say this? Why so?

OF COURSE appl results are great this year. All around the world people have needed to beef up their home technology for remote work.

When will that effect fall off and will it result in sales declines as people don’t need to upgrade bc they refreshed everything during Covid?

AAPL created and owns the ecosystem. It’s not just a hardware company. When companies are suing you to gain access to your ecosystem then that should tell you something. Cash on hand is off the charts. Maybe a bit over their skis on PE, for now.

AAPL kills it again. It will be interesting to see how this market responds today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/27/apple-aapl-earnings-q1-2022.html

The forward earnings yield is 4%. the peg ratio is 1.8

Its a fantastic company, but IMHO the earnings growth rate does not support the current pricing.

All that said, I have much more of a value tilt, which has not served me well for the past 10 years.

Chart out another great company. MSFT. Dead money for over a decade, but the whole time was a fantastic company. Only when the reinvented themselves, did the stock take off again. Being able to do what MSFT did is the exception, not the rule.

Pre marlet AAPL is up almost 3%. It's 20% of my portfolio because I believe strongly in the CEO, their products and services and the long term growth oulook.

Everything is over valued, my as well own the one company that actually consistently provides value.

Pre marlet AAPL is up almost 3%. It's 20% of my portfolio because I believe strongly in the CEO, their products and services and the long term growth oulook.

Everything is over valued, my as well own the one company that actually consistently provides value.
+1
Bought 100 shares 10 years ago. I've sold a bunch but it's about 15% of our holdings.

I thought I would include two "football field" charts from stock rover. Each one is where Apple valuation lies vs historical. The line down the center shows current position of value. One is current valuation vs range over 18 months (shows Apple fairly valued). The other shows current vs range over 5 years (shows apple somewhat expensive at current pricing).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.39.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.39.58 PM.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.40.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.40.26 PM.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 29
Back
Top Bottom