Amazon "Preparing for Shipment" Status

I get a lot faster service if the item is either sold by Amazon, or "Fulfilled by Amazon". I seldom buy anything that isn't sold or fulfilled by Amazon. And, I always doublecheck to make sure it is in stock, by clicking on the buying options since being out of stock is usually noted there too.

The really long waits that I have had, have been for third party items which are not fulfilled by Amazon. My speculation is that perhaps they are out of stock and have to make the item, or maybe they just don't care.

Chances are that things neither sold by or fulfilled by Amazon are not prime eligible, as Amazon has no control over the shipping process.
Note that due to amazon's move into the shipping space Fed-ex has decided to move into consumer order fullfillment. (They and UPS do it for computer parts etc already, moving the parts warehouse to Louisville or Memphis so that they can ship overnight)

I am a prime member and like the expediency of the service.

I have found, however, that if I order an item and arrange for it to arrive at my sister's house, which is 1 mile from my house in Jacksonville, FL, I will receive the item one or two days earlier, than if I have it delivered to my house! Very strange!

Non-prime orders are going to vary in ship time depending on the warehouse busy-ness. Prime and Next Day orders are going to ship first. Free shipping last. everyone else, in between, but they give themselves a window for delivery that is usually 7 days from purchase.

You and I both know if they shipped in 2 days you'd have it in 5, not 7, but that 7 means they have 4 days to get it out to you, so they can treat your non-prime order as lower-priority.

Proximity to warehouse is key - they have them in more than a dozen states now and add more each year. (Yes there's a center in JAX to Tandem).

Amazon a couple of years back didn't fight the Brick and Mortar rule since they are pretty much expecting to operate warehouses in every state before long.

Amazon offers prime on stuff at their warehouses - including stuff that 3rd party sellers send to them and stuff they sell. But also regular 3rd parties can sell prime - "seller fulfilled prime" where the 3p sellers commit to shipping 2 day for free, just like prime. So Prime doesn't mean shipped by amazon all the time.

I have found, however, that if I order an item and arrange for it to arrive at my sister's house, which is 1 mile from my house in Jacksonville, FL, I will receive the item one or two days earlier, than if I have it delivered to my house! Very strange!
Your sister gives the carrier a Christmas tip. :D

Two of my recent prime orders stated--Order by such and such time and have it by a specific date which is two days away. I ordered before the time deadline, but both orders took 5 days. No explanation given. On one of the orders I was given the option to select "no rush 5 day shipping" and receive a $5 discount. Nope, needed that 2 day deal to be on time for a birthday. Still took 5 days.:mad:
Missouri started paying tax Feb 1st. No Amazon facility here. Same deal for Arkansas in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom