Amazon Prime Video realization

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For a while now (couple years, at least) I've noticed that we don't watch nearly as much stuff on Amazon Prime as we do on Netflix or HBO Max. And until last night, I wasn't entirely sure why. But as I was scrolling through the "My Stuff" section in Prime, it suddenly dawned on me. There was a lot of interesting content in there--movies and shows that I'd added over the months and years. The problem is that a good 50%, or more, of the things listed in My Stuff is no longer available for free! It seems like Amazon is FAR worse than Netflix or HBO at keeping the rights to movies and shows that it features on Prime Video. The situation is bad enough that I actually think Prime Video is barely even worth considering when it comes to determining the value of our Prime subscription. If Netflix is a good (or reasonable) value at $15/month, I think it would be a stretch to say that Prime Video is worth even $5/month. If I could sever Prime Video from our Prime subscription and save $60/year, I'm pretty sure I'd do it. What say you?

If I had Netflix, I probably wouldn't have time to watch shows on Prime. But I've been without Netflix for at least two years, so Prime is worth it to me. I reached the point on Netflix where I just got ticked off at the price increases and didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

I reached the point on Netflix where I just got ticked off at the price increases and didn't want anything to do with it anymore.

Yeah, I hear you about the price increases. Netflix is far from cheap, relative to other streaming channels. Of course, Amazon has also been raising its subscription fees every year or two recently.

Are you sure they were free when you added them? I've also seen movies on my watchlist that would I'd have to rent to see. But I may have added them without checking if they were free on Prime. Sometimes I intentionally added them just to remember that I want to try to find the movie on some streaming channel, or maybe I'd be willing to pay the fee to watch once.

Are you sure they were free when you added them? I've also seen movies on my watchlist that would I'd have to rent to see. But I may have added them without checking if they were free on Prime. Sometimes I intentionally added them just to remember that I want to try to find the movie on some streaming channel, or maybe I'd be willing to pay the fee to watch once.

Yes, I'm sure that at least 90% of them were free when I added them. I remember adding a few "not free" ones as placeholders, like you described, but that's a rarity for me.

Well I can't say Prime is worse than other streamers. Peacock... and Paramount + and even the Disney brand have really made a dent in free streaming. 90% seems high...sometimes Amazon will stream things free for a limited time and warn you that's it's limited.

We like Better Call Saul and signed up for a couple months of AMC plus so that we could see the final season. Two weeks ago I thought it would be good to rewatch the last 2 shows before part two of the season begins. Low and behold even though we were paying for AMC ...Season 6 was not offered as play on demand.

Online streaming is in the golden age as to the amount of shows you can access however IMO the golden age of what you can stream for a limited cost, ie Prime or Netflix is over. Amazon is putting more and more money into originals for just this reason. For anyone who is a prime member and wants to sample the add on channels many of them are going for 99 cents a month for 2 months in the Prime days sale.

The problem is that a good 50%, or more, of the things listed in My Stuff is no longer available for free! It seems like Amazon is FAR worse than Netflix or HBO at keeping the rights to movies and shows that it features on Prime Video.

Well, perhaps you notice it more on amazon because they offer ways to pay to play? Whereas on the others, just...poof, gone.

I do watch them less than NF/HBO, but with Amazon, the video is not the main reason I'm there, it's an add on.

For a while now (couple years, at least) I've noticed that we don't watch nearly as much stuff on Amazon Prime as we do on Netflix or HBO Max. And until last night, I wasn't entirely sure why. But as I was scrolling through the "My Stuff" section in Prime, it suddenly dawned on me. There was a lot of interesting content in there--movies and shows that I'd added over the months and years. The problem is that a good 50%, or more, of the things listed in My Stuff is no longer available for free!

If I could sever Prime Video from our Prime subscription and save $60/year, I'm pretty sure I'd do it. What say you?

Oh yeah, I've noticed this too. When I search for content the first thing I select it the "Free for Me" tab at the top of the screen. That way I know it is free content. But months (weeks?) later when I check "My Stuff" there is a lot of titles that no longer show the Prime banner meaning they are no longer free.

Yep, I'd axe Prime video for $60 savings a year and get my streaming stuff elsewhere. Not only because of the savings but also because Amazon Prime's original productions are becoming poorer and poorer. It's just not worth it anymore. Paramount Plus has far better original content, IMO.

Yes, but for $9.60/month we get free shipping from Amazon. I can order a book and get it in a day. Prime Video is an add-on. Plus there are points I earn and spend.

The only reason we have Amazon Prime is for the free shipping (24 hours most of the time) and low prices. Amazon Prime Video is a bonus. HBO Max, Paramount+, and Hulu are much better.

Oh yeah, I've noticed this too. When I search for content the first thing I select it the "Free for Me" tab at the top of the screen. That way I know it is free content. But months (weeks?) later when I check "My Stuff" there is a lot of titles that no longer show the Prime banner meaning they are no longer free.

Yep, I'd axe Prime video for $60 savings a year and get my streaming stuff elsewhere. Not only because of the savings but also because Amazon Prime's original productions are becoming poorer and poorer. It's just not worth it anymore. Paramount Plus has far better original content, IMO.
You aren't going to get much streaming for that 60 bucks.
I did just get 2 months of paramount for 99 cents a month I can catch up until next year

Yes, but for $9.60/month we get free shipping from Amazon. I can order a book and get it in a day. Prime Video is an add-on. Plus there are points I earn and spend.

The only reason we have Amazon Prime is for the free shipping (24 hours most of the time) and low prices. Amazon Prime Video is a bonus. HBO Max, Paramount+, and Hulu are much better.

We understand that. The question is: "Would you drop Prime Video if it saved you $60 a year? (and keep Amazon Prime for all other functions)

I say yes.

You aren't going to get much streaming for that 60 bucks.
I did just get 2 months of paramount for 99 cents a month I can catch up until next year

Sure, but the point is there isn't $60 worth of stuff to watch on Amazon Prime Video.

I get Paramount Plus with no commercials for $109.40 a year. If I could drop Amazon Prime Video and get back $60 I could apply that money to Paramount Plus, making it cost $49.40 a year, net.

Since we don't subscribe to any other streaming services, I find Amazon Prime video to be well worth the price of admission. We also have satellite TV so the Prime Membership is not used much for TV.

Sure, but the point is there isn't $60 worth of stuff to watch on Amazon Prime Video.

I get Paramount Plus with no commercials for $109.40 a year. If I could drop Amazon Prime Video and get back $60 I could apply that money to Paramount Plus, making it cost $49.40 a year, net.

Do I remember that Amazon will be the exclusive outlet for Thursday nite football ? I also get access to free music, free books and free photo storage. Well I don't think Amazon will ever offer a membership option for free shipping only.. so it's an all or nothing option

PBS Passport is (for me) the most watched streaming service. I also have Netflix, Britbox & Prime.

We understand that. The question is: "Would you drop Prime Video if it saved you $60 a year? (and keep Amazon Prime for all other functions)

I say yes.

Well maybe, but no one is floating that offer at me. Prime was more than $60 before Video was even added.

I have found I’m watching prime much less often. I still pay the membership for the convenience of it but the value proposition of the whole thing is getting stretched thin.

Well maybe, but no one is floating that offer at me. Prime was more than $60 before Video was even added.

Yeah, I don't see that offer ever being floated for Prime subscribers, cause they know a significant percentage would drop Prime Video to save, say, $60/year. Considering that Amazon offers a Prime Video-only plan for $9/month, they certainly don't agree with me that PV is barely worth $5/month.

Do I remember that Amazon will be the exclusive outlet for Thursday nite football ? I also get access to free music, free books and free photo storage. Well I don't think Amazon will ever offer a membership option for free shipping only.. so it's an all or nothing option
Yes, I just got a reminder about that this morning from them.
15 Games starting September 15 only on Prime Video.

Yeah, I don't see that offer ever being floated for Prime subscribers, cause they know a significant percentage would drop Prime Video to save, say, $60/year. Considering that Amazon offers a Prime Video-only plan for $9/month, they certainly don't agree with me that PV is barely worth $5/month.

Agree. One way to look at is "We provide free/fast shipping with Amazon Prime, and as a bonus we will throw in Prime Video". What they provide wold do poorly as a standalone streaming service, but bundling it with Prime shipping is done as a competitive "added value" package.

I have also seen stuff I have added to my watchlist go from free to pay over time. The only consolation is that I likely will never have the time to watch everything on the watchlist, and enough things stay free for me to make it worthwhile. It is not like I am running out of things to watch :).

If you log in to My Stuff on Amazon Prime Video at least once per month, they will tell you which movies on your list are leaving Amazon Prime Video. So at least they will give you some warning, but you have to check every now and then.

If I could sever Prime Video from our Prime subscription and save $60/year, I'm pretty sure I'd do it. What say you?

I have Prime and I have Netflix and from time to time I have HBO. I sign up for it for awhile and then discontinue when I won't be watching for awhile then resub, etc. Netflix I get the base subscription thru T-Mobile so I only pay $7 month for the plan I have.

Anyway, I rarely use Prime. I think I've bought one or two movies there. And, every once in awhile I will rent a movie there which isn't available elsewhere. That is maybe once a year or so.

So, yes, if I could reduce the cost of Prime to get rid of Prime Video I would probably do it if I could resub to it easily.

Not sure why the question since it’ll never happen, have your cake and eat it too. We use Amazon and get free shipping more often than not without Prime so we’ve never subscribed. I sometimes wonder if Prime subscribers realize how often you can get free shipping without paying $139/yr - might appeal to the OP (if you don’t care about video, save $139/yr vs $60…j.

We all choose based on our budgets and viewing wants. We have
  • Hulu+Live which includes Disney+ and ESPN+
  • Apple TV+
  • Netflix (free with T-Mobile mobile plan)
We used to have HBOMax free with AT&T fiber, but no more. We may subscribe-binge watch-cancel a month a year or so there to catch up - which seems like a very popular and way more cost effective way to consume streaming these days. Just rotate through all the no contract streaming services instead of ongoing subscriptions. All the kids are doing it!

I watch free YouTube way more than any of the above. If not for DW, I could happily get by on far less.

Last edited:
Yes I would get rid of Prime Video for $60. However, as others have said, there’s more to Prime than free shipping and Prime Video. DW has all her photos loaded up on their server as part of the Prime package. Off site storage for what she has loaded is way more valuable than all the other add on’s to us. Probably even worth more than the free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom