Any experience with electric trikes?

harley

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW has been looking into electric trikes recently, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there. I personally think she's jumping the gun, both on the new tech as well as her capabilities. But she doesn't feel stable and secure enough to ride on the roads (or sidewalks) around here, and thinks having a battery assist would help. She is taking her time and doing the research, but I know the people here have a vast amount of experience and knowledge so I thought I'd throw it out for comment.

Here are the two she's most interested in at this point.

PT3CB-HUB-ENG

Electric Tricycle - Liberty Trike

The big differences seem to be the battery type (lithium vs. lead acid) and wheel size (16" vs. 20"), plus some things like foldability and such. Plus the Liberty is still a concept (indiegogo), although it should be available soon.

Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated.

Can't help you with recommendations but I am interested in the topic. Companies are making great strides with ebikes (and I assume trikes as well). This should only improve with technological advances (particularly batteries) and the demand caused by the aging of us boomers. I don't anticipate needing an ebike for 15 years or so (if all goes well, not even then) but I hope there will be a broad selection when and if I do need one.

DW has been looking into electric trikes recently, and there doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there. I personally think she's jumping the gun, both on the new tech as well as her capabilities. But she doesn't feel stable and secure enough to ride on the roads (or sidewalks) around here, and thinks having a battery assist would help. She is taking her time and doing the research, but I know the people here have a vast amount of experience and knowledge so I thought I'd throw it out for comment.

Love this topic! I have not ridden one but have been thinking about them because eventually I'd like to stop driving completely, as I grow older.

First, I think I would personally feel much safer on one if I limited myself to quiet residential streets, where I wasn't out in heavy traffic. I think the latter could be unwise.

Second, I'm not sure that one could adequately secure such a bike at one's destination so that it won't be stolen, whether one is headed for a grocery store or k-mart or whatever. These bikes are not cheap IIRC and if even normal bikes locked to bike racks with the best of locks are being stolen, I'd think these would be an even more likely target for thieves.

Third, I'm also not sure that the battery or other source of power is needed or even desirable. The exercise from leisurely peddling is not extreme, and would be good for almost anyone. However, the stability provided by having three wheels would be a must for most seniors, I would think. Also the three wheel designs often allow for more cargo space.

Last edited:
Has she seen this one?
Organic Transit | Exercise Your Power! ELF Solar Pedal Power

Actually, I've been looking at these too but there doesn't seem to be a lot of them. I guess you could get a trike you like and add the battery. Even that seems costly.

Nice idea, but definitely a bit more than she's looking for. And you're right, the mod kits seem just as expensive as the pre-builts.

Can't help with a specific recommendation either, but here is a great information resource on the topic: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/

Thanks! Wayyyyy too much info on there. It's going to take a while to filter it. Looks mostly like DIYers, but definitely a good resource.

Second, I'm not sure that one could adequately secure such a bike at one's destination so that it won't be stolen, whether one is headed for a grocery store or k-mart or whatever. These bikes are not cheap IIRC and if even normal bikes locked to bike racks with the best of locks are being stolen, I'd think these would be an even more likely target for thieves.

From what I read about the Liberty, you would lock the front tire to the rack, slip out a clevis pin in the frame, and lock or take the battery. The bike couldn't be ridden, and having to carry two 30 lb. pieces would deter most thieves. But anything can be stolen if someone wants it bad enough. I'm not sure that's a reason not to own something.

Third, I'm also not sure that the battery or other source of power is needed or even desirable. The exercise from leisurely peddling is not extreme, and would be good for almost anyone. However, the stability provided by having three wheels would be a must for most seniors, I would think. Also the three wheel designs often allow for more cargo space.
That would depend on the individual. If you are just cruising around in the flat on your own, I'd agree with you. But if you are trying to ride with other people and want to keep up, or if you have hills to deal with and are carrying a load of groceries or whatever, it's possible a battery boost would be a nice thing. There are plenty of oldsters here in FL on pedal trikes, and they definitely are more stable on three wheels. But seeing the speed many of them display crossing a road at a light, a little battery boost could be a nice improvement, and possibly even a safety feature.

We're still doing research, and probably will be for months, as this is an expensive item. If I find more useful info I'll post it, since there seems to be some interest.

Third, I'm also not sure that the battery or other source of power is needed or even desirable. The exercise from leisurely peddling is not extreme, and would be good for almost anyone.

Well..... we don't all live in Flatland. :)

Well..... we don't all live in Flatland. :)

That's true. We don't even have the smallest hills to deal with down here in South Louisiana.

I wouldn't want to be peddling a three wheeler up some of the steeper hills in San Francisco or some other cities. That would be too hard for some seniors including me.

From what I read about the Liberty, you would lock the front tire to the rack, slip out a clevis pin in the frame, and lock or take the battery. The bike couldn't be ridden, and having to carry two 30 lb. pieces would deter most thieves. But anything can be stolen if someone wants it bad enough. I'm not sure that's a reason not to own something.

That sounds like it might work, unless the thieves have a pickup truck but I'd think most of them wouldn't have one readily available. I do think that sadly, for many people crime is a quite valid reason to have to alter one's lifestyle. One would wish that wasn't ever the case.

Would this be for solo leisure, group leisure, or practical things like groceries, etc?

Seattle is a very bike heavy city, but I have never seen a trike. Some parks may have fixed pylons to prevent cars from entering, and I think that least some of them may be too narrowly spaced to admit trikes. These things clearly could not corner very well, so must be very careful on downhill runs. W2's point about theft is important. People are even reluctant to ride decent bikes on errands where they will have to park. Places where I normally go all have bike racks, but nowhere where you could park a trike. I guess in more suburban areas you could park a trike in the car park.

Trikes may be excellent in the sort of Florida flat senior community where people go around in golf carts, but then why not just buy a golf cart?

IMO, in most places mainly a toy, and not a cheap toy either.

Ha

Last edited:
You can't drive a golf cart on the roads around here, but you can a trike. Although around here, most bikers and trikers ride on the sidewalks. Couldn't take a golf cart there either. You can take the trike pretty much anywhere you can ride a bike.

DW would want to ride it to the grocery store, and maybe the beach, as well as just for leisurely trips around the neighborhood. It should be easily parkable at a bike rack, although if the racks were crowded it might be a little obnoxious taking up extra room. She likes the idea of getting some exercise while having a backup option in case she gets too tired.

Personally I think she's jumping the gun, as she's pretty stable on a bike still. But she doesn't feel safe on them and is looking for an alternative. Also when I take the car for half a week or so for a camping trip or music festival, she would have this as an option as opposed to a second car. Whether I think it's a good idea or not doesn't really matter, as it's her decision. I was just hoping for some real life experiences/issues that might be worthwhile to think about.

Attachments

• sidecar.jpg
    sidecar.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 48
I like the cargo capacity thing with the trike, but you could gain that with a trailer. The stabilizers on a "boosted" regular bike would be a good option if she's unsure of a two wheeler.

Honestly, though, my impression of trikes is permanently and irrevocably tainted by childhood memories of seeing an old man in our 'hood riding around on one in nothing but his tightey whiteys! Aaacckkk!

Honestly, though, my impression of trikes is permanently and irrevocably tainted by childhood memories of seeing an old man in our 'hood riding around on one in nothing but his tightey whiteys! Aaacckkk!
You knew my dad?

I like the cargo capacity thing with the trike, but you could gain that with a trailer. The stabilizers on a "boosted" regular bike would be a good option if she's unsure of a two wheeler.

I'll make sure if I ride it I'll wear my best dress boxers.

LOL, both of you!

We also saw him occasionally sporting a very stained white undershirt that did nothing to improve the vision.

Y'all put on some clothes! Unless you are Matthew McConaughey, in which case remain shirtless for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom