Any Garageband users here?

Kane Archer

Confused about dryer sheets
I just bought a new MacBook Pro and I heard a lot about this "Garageband" software for music production. I have a passion for composing music and beats from my Computer so, I just want some advice on whether I should invest my time using this software or not?

Right now I am using Ableton and Audacity on my windows system but I am looking for some change.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I'm not good at GarageBand, but I keep trying. I can tell you that musicians I know use it to create very professional sounding compositions. It's a (very near) full professional tool.

There are many YouTube training videos that will blow you away.

(one of my isolation goals is to put together some songs in GarageBand on my Macbook).

Garageband has a lot of power, but Apple also sells Logic, which is their serious production software. Garageband is a nice, free introduction to see what is possible, but it's not used nearly as much as Ableton, etc. - and it's kind of a closed system of software and add-on packs. What are you missing in Ableton that makes you want to change? Garageband is excellent for beginners, but you sound like you know more than that and may run into some limitations.

There are many excellent Mac DAWs/production tools and it's worth your time to do some research on the best software for you. If you want something totally free and very powerful to get started, go with Reaper. It's the most popular shareware DAW, and you can use it as long as you want without licensing it. It also runs plugins and other external software instruments, many of which you can also get for free. The nice thing about Reaper is that it is very easy to learn if you've worked with any other DAW. There's nothing really quirky or complicated about it. FWIW, If you Google "Top 10 Mac DAWs" you'll get the list of most worthy contenders for real music production. They're all good.

I've worked on Digital Performer for decades, but I've tried then all and I own a copy of Live. Live is really good, and there's another competitor called Bitwig that's very cool too. Funnily enough, I've very recently made the choice to switch from DP since I have to buy another upgrade to go forward. I have a UA interface, so I'm going to try their new Luna DAW (free for owners). Their plug-ins are so good, but their DAW is very new. If I don't like it, I'll upgrade and go back to DP.

Last edited:
I use Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Studio and have been using various versions of it for a long time. Roland sold Cakewalk to Gibson and after Gibson filed for bankruptcy, they sold Cakewalk to an investor who made it available for FREE. The Bandlab version of Cakewalk Sonar is the Platinum version without all the soft synth bundles but is maintained and updated. With the stay at home order in place, I'm spending a lot of time in my home recording studio.

Back
Top Bottom