Any supercommuters (100 mi. +)?

This is not uncommon in rural areas where the destination city doesn't have too much suburban sprawl, and there's an interstate through the rural area. I'm 2 hours from St. Louis, and I know a few in town who do this. Sitting on cruise control for 2 hours, is different than driving in stop in go traffic.

When the cost of gas exceeds the difference in home prices, it stops making sense. Some folks just have an emotional attachment to their childhood town, and won't move under any circumstances.

I have quite a few family members and a few friends that did this for years: Drove 2ish hours into St. Louis every day to work construction or at a car factory then 2ish hours back home every evening. Some for 20 years. Not so many any more with gas prices rising, factories closing and new construction jobs hard to find.

I used to wonder how they did it; but, other than the commute from my bed to my home office on those rare days that I am not traveling, I have not actually w*rked in my home state in over five years. Probably 30% of the time not even in the USA. This year I am both a 1K flier with United and a Platinum flier with American. Just one more year/dollar/something.

I've sorta the super-commute thing twice for about 6 months at a time.

The last time was over 20 years ago thank goodness. Every Monday I'd fly from Houston to Baton Rouge on the red-eye flight, working that afternoon, then long days through Friday afternoon when I'd fly home.

I hated it.

I still do the 700 mi round trip from Louisiana to Houston every week, but not sure if I fall into the category of "supercommuters", as I'm drive to Houston on Mondays and drive home on Thursdays, so my daily average is only 175 miles. (My daily Houston commute is ~3 blocks). As another poster stated, there is a HUGE difference between driving in downtown, stop-and-go traffic and driving in the "put-it-on-cruise-control-and-solve-the-problems-of-the-world" mode. For the record, the stretch between Laffayette, La and Lake Charles, La is straight as an arrow, mainly through rice fields, and is the most dangerous strech for me due to abject boredom.

Funny how time slips away - thought I'd be doing this job for a year, and Monday was my 4 year anniversary.

Last edited:
Commuting is very common in the airline industy. I commuted 1200 miles 3 times a month for 24 years. The only way I will get on an airplane now is with a gun pointed at my head.

I use to be a super non-commuter when I was single and saving up. I had a job for a few years where I would be regionally relocated every six months or so within a fairly small area. If I were to commute it would only have been 10-30 miles depending on where I was moved. But instead I would pack up all my stuff (pretty much clothes, laptop, desk, bed and minimum kitchenware) and get a new apartment within a mile or so of wherever they moved me.

I just hate rush hour that much.

Back
Top Bottom