Anyone attend wealth manager free education events?

I've been to one. Free dinner at one of the better restaurants. There was supposed to be an FA, insurance guy, and an attorney.
The insurance guy had an emerency and the FA got flustered and cut his time short. The lawyer ended up being someone recommended by a friend anyway. He did get my will and proxy business. Ended up haveing a good relationship with him.
The FA seemed honest. My sister was with me and he told her she didn't need an FA, she needs to just buy CDs. He only sent one email and was polite when i declined his services.

I went to a timeshare presentation probably 15 years ago for a free meal. At one point 2.5 hours into the “lunch” I more than casually considered jumping out of a second story window to escape. There is less hyperbole in that statement than I care to admit.

If it's a good dining place absolutely we go.

Dinner and Entertainment for free......

Disclaimer: We are professional Plate Lickers.........

I think I went to one a few years ago. The ROI on a timeshare preso seems much better imo.

Now, if I can figure out a way to enjoy the evening with a partner, at an amazing restaurant, I'd have to say 'yes!'

I have never done it. If I ever did, it would be *solely* because I felt the food was good and I'd daydream during the whole presentation. The Free Chicken Dinner - IMO- is trolling for the gullible. If I was good at my job, you'd hear about me via tons of online reviews, your friends might refer you. I don't need to buy you dinner as bait to let me advise you on something.

We went to one of these a few years ago. The dinner we got after the presentation was a cold chicken salad sandwich and a soda.

I like attending them every 5 years or so just to keep proving to myself that self management/ low cost funds are always best. Always shocked to here how much these financial advisors don’t know.

I would run away like "Run Forest Run"

We went to a Time Share Torture Session in Las Vegas about 10 or so year ago...Free Dinner and a Show.....

Never Again, never.....

I would volunteer for Water Boarding before a "Free Presentation"

YMMV....

We are at Fidelity, but I am “my guy”. I guess I could take myself out to dinner? Occasionally one of FIDO’s private client advisors will contact me by email or by phone but I simply ignore them. Too busy enjoying retirement…

"I periodically get a "come to a free dinner and learn about x" invitations. The latest is "How tax planning changes through four stages of retirement". I would be interested in learning more about this topic"

Like you, I suspect that it will be a hard sell. So I have not attended.

However, one of our local Universities did a 4-6 week class on retirement planning. There was a small fee which covered materials and very light snacks. That I found to be quite informative and helpful. Much of it was calculations and projections. Yes, the person teaching was licensed, financial advisor, hired by the university. He didn't mention his credentials until the last few minutes of the last class. No sales pitch. He gave us the websites, to research potential advisors - including himself. And he brought in, briefly, an estate attorney, to cover a few of the sticky issues that can arise.
Not being a fan, he he had the class do the calculations for insurance annuities vs investments. Much of what was covered I knew, some I didn't .
I would take another similar class offer by a reputable university.
Free dinner - probably not.

Back
Top Bottom