Apple ending iTunes

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Announced in the developer conference today, Apple is breaking iTunes into three apps - Music, TV, and Podcasts. Many links, here's one https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-...dwide-developers-conference-today-2019-06-03/
Apple confirmed the end of an era on Monday — no more iTunes. The music store available for years on iPods and iPhones has been overshadowed by streaming services, like the company's own Apple Music, and it will soon be phased out, Apple announced at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday.

The new MacOS Catalina will have an iTunes replacement simply called Music, CNET reports. A new Podcast and Apple TV app with updated features will also be rolled out.
I've always found iTunes to be clunky and not nearly as intuitive as other Apple apps, so this may be good.

There's also an announcement that Apple will improve the Maps app. Good - the Google needs some competition.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what they do. I usually use Spotify, but still have close to 150GBs of music and audiobooks in my iTunes library and don’t want to lose it.

Re Apple Maps, I like the look, but it really is a second class app compared to Google Maps.

I tried AppleMusic and it was OK, except that every time they updated the OS on the phone, I had to relearn how the app worked. And a few times my music libraries disappeared. About the 3rd time they did that to me I said the heck with this nonsense. Now I'm using the pay version of Pandora. Not everything I'd want, but more user friendly IMO.

Apple opened up the software interface that allows other vendors to tap into iTunes libraries (e.g., Bose SoundTouch wifi speakers). I hope any migration away from iTunes is seamless and very well implemented!

Last edited:
I must be ahead of the curve - - I never use iTunes any more. Good! This will give me an excuse to get it off my laptop.

For me I tunes is something that while I have used some very confusing at times. I am a Spotify user.

Will the new apps that replace iTunes work on older computers that can't run the current and new OS? My old 2011 Mac wants to know.

Last edited:
I use iTunes on my Win10 machine. Wondering what will happen there. I don’t think an Apple App is going to work on a Win machine. Guess I better get my library backed up at the folder level so I don’t have any problems.

I've always found iTunes to be clunky and not nearly as intuitive as other Apple apps, so this may be good.
I’ve found it clunky too, but I’ve been using it since the early iPod days, so it still makes sense to me. But I almost never use it to listen to music on my PC, so as long as I can still back up my iPad and iPhone it’s good with me. If they force me to backup to the cloud...:mad:

Arrgghh! I still have an iTunes gift card around somewhere...will I still be able to use it?
Me

I’m not sure this deserves a separate thread but lists of devices compatible with iOS 13 are out. From macrumors:

Contrary to multiple rumors that circulated ahead of when iOS 13 was announced, the new operating system is indeed compatible with many older iPhones, including the iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not supported.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/ios-13-compatible-devices/

I have Apple Music that I’ve used to download some music and have maybe a few hundred songs on iTunes. Lately I’ve been looking for something smaller than my iPhone to play music while running. Apple doesn’t make the iPod nano anymore. Hopefully there will be something small out there that will work easily with Apple music

I've been using iTunes for years (but only occasionally) and absolutely dread navigating the convoluted interface. So for me, I'd like to see something new. :trash:

Hard to believe they could make it worse!

Hard to believe they could make it worse!
Eeks, I stopped saying that many years ago when life taught me things can always get worse.

The one use I do get from iTunes (windows desktop) is backing up our other Apple devices.

The one use I do get from iTunes (windows desktop) is backing up our other Apple devices.
Me too.

I’ve looked online several times to no avail. Has anyone seen how backups will be handled once Music, Movies and TV replace iTunes? I hope there’s still a local HD backup option, and we’re not forced onto the cloud.

Last edited:
The MacOS Catalina release is one I’ll wait to install until after release and user feedback/reviews start coming (I installed Mojave right away).

Two of my mobile devices aren’t compatible with iOS 13 so they’ll remain at 12.

To me, iTunes had too much under its umbrella so in the long run splitting it up is a good step. I hope.

Me too.I’ve looked online several times to no avail. Has anyone seen how backups will be handled once Music, Movies and TV replace iTunes? I hope there’s still a local HD backup option, and we’re not forced onto the cloud.

Yes, that’s my main use. Critical iOS device backups and restore from backups when migrating to a new device. Time machine then backs up the Mac so I’ve got additional backups.

According to a more recent announcement, iTunes on Windows will not be affected.
Those who use iTunes on a PC to manage their devices, listen to music, and make iTunes purchases will be able to continue to do so.

I've been doing a bit of reading of the changes Apple is making to how their various products communicate and work with each other. This is one of the more positive changes I have seen at Apple in a while.

I like the idea of an OS for the iPad that is not burdened by having to work on the smaller iPhone also. And the ability to use the iPad with the Mac could easily prove to be a shot in the arm for both products.

They still need to update their Macs, IMHO. For starters, bigger SSD drives for the same or less money would be nice. Apple needs to realize that the days of having to pay a huge premium to get an SSD drive are over.

Last edited:
They still need to update their Macs, IMHO. For starters, bigger SSD drives for the same or less money would be nice. Apple needs to realize that the days of having to pay a huge premium to get an SSD drive are over.

I like your thinking!!! My iMac is about 6 yo, and I have been wondering when it will be time to get a new system, although this still one is still very solid. Agree that those SSD prices are expensive and hopefully will come down soon.

Ars Technica has a good summary of the changes to iTunes.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...nes-questions-old-libraries-windows-and-more/

After much speculation and fanfare in the press, Apple confirmed today that it will sunset iTunes in the next version of macOS and spin its functionality into three new apps—Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV.

Apple Music in macOS Catalina will import users' existing music libraries from iTunes in their entirety, Apple says. That includes not just music purchased on iTunes, but rips from CDs, MP3s, and the like added from other sources.

Apple already explained during the keynote that syncing with and managing your iOS devices from your Mac—which used to be an iTunes task—will now happen within Finder

...but the company didn't specify onstage what will happen to the same program in Windows. The answer, it turns out, is not much. Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes.

^^ Thanks. For Windows iTunes users (like me), here's a little more from the link:
Apple says users of iTunes under Microsoft Windows will not see any changes. It won't be broken up into several apps; it will work just like it does now. However, Apple did not provide any clarification about what support will be like for future features. The company simply says that Windows users will continue to have the same experience as before and that it is not announcing any plans to end support for iTunes in Windows.

But keep in mind: that only means for now. Apple might one day bring an Apple Music application to Windows just as it has to Android. But just as the iTunes era seems to be ending for the Mac, it will continue for the immediately foreseeable future in Windows—so iTunes is not really dead. At least not yet.
Nice to know I will still be able to manage/backup my iPad and iPhone on my PC.

I have Apple Music that I’ve used to download some music and have maybe a few hundred songs on iTunes. Lately I’ve been looking for something smaller than my iPhone to play music while running. Apple doesn’t make the iPod nano anymore. Hopefully there will be something small out there that will work easily with Apple music

How about using the Apple Watch with Airpods? I don't use any music while running preferring to listen for the creatures in the park. But I'm considering the Airpods for the gym.

If you don't have an Apple Watch, it's a real winner for runners. Accurate pacing and distance because it uses GPS. Plus it has an emergency fall detection. The other day I fell on my tush while walking down a steep slope. Not hurt but the watch asked me if I was OK and whether to send an SOS. Really works. :)

So my aging Mac which will not run the new OS will still be using iTunes to manage my modest music library. OK. I can live with that.

Now, Apple, when will you get serious about updating the Mac, not the expensive pro version, but the one 'for the rest of us'?

Back
Top Bottom