Aquablation for BPH

My Aquablation is scheduled for February 2nd.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. I understand it's an out patient procedure but still done in a hospital setting since they "put you under".

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I understand it's an out patient procedure but still done in a hospital setting since they "put you under".

You actually have to spend the night.

^^^^
Same here from what my doctor has told me, however they still "call it" an outpatient procedure. :confused: For insurance purposes I guess.

My Aquablation is over and done with!

I had surgery on Thursday. On Friday I wasn’t able to adequately empty my bladder so they sent me home with a catheter.

I went to the doctor’s office this morning and had the catheter removed. I was able to pass the bladder ultrasound test so I don’t have to go back to the doctor till 5/23.

Sounds about normal to me, from what I've heard... Please let us know how you are doing in the coming weeks.

My Aquablation is over and done with!

I had surgery on Thursday. On Friday I wasn’t able to adequately empty my bladder so they sent me home with a catheter.

I went to the doctor’s office this morning and had the catheter removed. I was able to pass the bladder ultrasound test so I don’t have to go back to the doctor till 5/23.

When I had the traditional TURP I had to stay in the hospital overnight with the catheter in. That was a surprisingly pleasant experience, because the two meals I had were both excellent! Who would have expected that?

Next morning, removing the catheter was "an experience" and I was very glad I had accepted the pain pills I had been offered an hour beforehand.

The deal was that when I was ready to "go", if I produced a certain number of CCs, I could go home. I waited as long as I could, then produced about 90% of that number and they released me.

All in all, I would recommend it to anyone. A few weeks later, it was nearly all forgotten. That was three years ago, and still great.

Had my TURP done 12/19/22 as out patient..Had the option of staying overnight. I chose to go home. Wife removed the catheter the next day..One thing that I would say important is to deflate the bulb before removing the catheter. :cool: Had very significant bleeding for at least 4 weeks, maybe more..Was told ahead of time to expect that. One thing I was not expecting was was the incontinence I experienced for about two weeks. Thankful for Depends.

Had a lot of scabs that would pass when I pee'd..In fact just today I passed a very large scab that had me partially blocked for about a day...Once it passed it was like a damn breaking..Best pee ever.. Glad to have it done and have no regrets..For anyone considering traditional TURP just know healing takes a long time. More for some than others....

I'm still on the "pill" and will stay until otherwise noted!:D

But this thread is keeping me entertained...:cool:

For anyone considering traditional TURP just know healing takes a long time. More for some than others....

Sounds like there might be a "relative skill of the urologist" factor at work here.
My recovery was pretty easy and didn't take long. Never had incontinence at all.

I'm still on the "pill" and will stay until otherwise noted!:D

But this thread is keeping me entertained...:cool:
Flomax, the wonder drug... :dance: Until it isn't. :)

Last edited:
I’m on finasteride and it has improved flow considerably. Anyone on that where it stopped working?

I’m on finasteride and it has improved flow considerably. Anyone on that where it stopped working?

No, but I stopped taking it and it wasn't long (couple months) before symptoms got worse and then it it too 3 times longer to get back where I was after I started taking it again. Tamulosin was helpful. (generic for Flomax)

No, but I stopped taking it and it wasn't long (couple months) before symptoms got worse and then it it too 3 times longer to get back where I was after I started taking it again. Tamulosin was helpful. (generic for Flomax)

Interesting. It shrinks the prostate by 20% I believe. So I wonder what happened to the prostate when you stopped. Assuming it started to grow again, but why the extraordinary difference you experienced.

Interesting. It shrinks the prostate by 20% I believe. So I wonder what happened to the prostate when you stopped. Assuming it started to grow again, but why the extraordinary difference you experienced.
That's news to me, I've always heard that Tamsulosin (Flomax) does not decrease the overall size of the prostate in men with BPH but works by relaxing the muscles affecting the bladder and prostate. :confused: I've learned something new here once again, I guess.

Last edited:
Tamsulosin does not shrink the prostate; Car-Guy is correct. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-su... relax the muscles,may continue to get larger.

"Tamsulosin helps relax the muscles in the prostate and the opening of the bladder. This may help increase the flow of urine or decrease the symptoms. However, tamsulosin will not shrink the prostate. The prostate may continue to get larger. This may cause the symptoms to become worse over time. Therefore, even though tamsulosin may lessen the problems caused by enlarged prostate now, surgery still may be needed in the future."

I think bmcgonig was referring to finasteride, not Tamsulosin

Last edited:
Tamsulosin does not shrink the prostate; Car-Guy is correct. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-su... relax the muscles,may continue to get larger.

"Tamsulosin helps relax the muscles in the prostate and the opening of the bladder. This may help increase the flow of urine or decrease the symptoms. However, tamsulosin will not shrink the prostate. The prostate may continue to get larger. This may cause the symptoms to become worse over time. Therefore, even though tamsulosin may lessen the problems caused by enlarged prostate now, surgery still may be needed in the future."

I think bmcgonig was referring to finasteride, not Tamsulosin

Yes I was referring to finasteride.

Back
Top Bottom