New procedure called Optilume BPH Catheter System

First I've heard of it. Sounds like an excellent approach. Limfac: 80 gram prostate max, so as long as you're not too large it's worth trying if your Uro is amenable.

My concern would be, as it does not eliminate excess tissue, just pushes it out of the way/compresses it, how long will meaningful relief last? They've tried various "balloon" based devices before (I've been into prostates since the early 1990's due to my own medical history) and the longevity is a problem. This system seems to take it a step further ie forcing the lobes apart as opposed to just compressing the urethra like earlier systems, so maybe therein lies the secret sauce. But, it's new and I was just reading an Oct 2023 article saying it was recently approved by FDA. So, not a lot of history with it.

First I've heard of it. Sounds like an excellent approach. Limfac: 80 gram prostate max, so as long as you're not too large it's worth trying if your Uro is amenable.

My concern would be, as it does not eliminate excess tissue, just pushes it out of the way/compresses it, how long will meaningful relief last? They've tried various "balloon" based devices before (I've been into prostates since the early 1990's due to my own medical history) and the longevity is a problem. This system seems to take it a step further ie forcing the lobes apart as opposed to just compressing the urethra like earlier systems, so maybe therein lies the secret sauce. But, it's new and I was just reading an Oct 2023 article saying it was recently approved by FDA. So, not a lot of history with it.

The good thing is its non-invasive, so hopefully you can have it multiple times if needed

Back
Top Bottom