Are Costco chicken breasts a good deal?

I've only been a Costco member for a few months but one observation is that healthy foods do not seem to be a high priority. Walking through my local Costco yesterday and doubt if 20% of the shoppers would pass the obesity guidelines, most leaving with a cart full of junk. Some good healthy food is available but certainly a lot more of the unhealthy stuff, and always in bulk.

Sadly, that's true of most stores. In fact, it's worse in my local grocery store where nearly every cart is loaded with pop, fatty ribs and Little Debbie cakes.

I know what you mean, though- the snacky stuff like salted caramel popcorn, chocolate-covered nuts and candy masquerading as "granola bars" hit you right by the entrance. My typical haul includes sweet peppers, eggs, plain yogurt, bananas, chickpea flour pasta, brussels sprouts and occasionally chicken, fish or scotch when I'm running low.

We started running into this about 10 years ago. It took us 3 years to find out what the problem was. You could buy a package of 4 boneless breasts and one or two would be bad (inevitably I would be the one that got it). After a lot of reading we've learned how to tell the "woody" ones in the package. The woody ones have redish blotches on them. A quick look at the contents of the package can save you from this.

There is a thing called woody breast that has become more common as producers strive for larger and larger chickens. It is not harmful, but not good either. I read a long article about it a few months ago, but don't recall where. Here's a short one:

https://www.thedailymeal.com/news/e...ought-chicken-becoming-tough-and-chewy/040116

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom