Are you fashion conscious (plus rambling trip story and BJ bragging)

I think you can be fashionable without ultra expensive clothes . I consider myself fashionable . I like to look pulled together so I wear mostly JJill separates or sundresses except when I go to the gym .To the gym I wear capri leggings and tops usually purchased at TJMaxx. I could never pull the trigger on a $3,000 dress ,watch or purse but I do enjoy gazing at them on others .

I wear good quality exercise shoes but my most expensive pair of regular shoes were made for Harley Davidson and have flames on the side. I wear sweat pants and exercise togs a lot but did find a new Coldwater Creek jacket at the thrift shop last week. Yep, we are into the whole " stealth wealth" thing. I am heading for the " 3 pairs of jeans, five shirts" package that my DS espouses.

I've never spent alot of money on clothes and have never owned a designer dress, designer shoes, designer handbag or designer anything. When I was w*orking my wardrobe was 10 identical $25 dresses in 10 different colors with 5 identical jackets in 5 different colors. Now my clothing consists of 5 pair of identical black shorts ($7 each), 3 pair of identical black long pants ($12 each) , 10 identical thin cotton tshirts ($4 each) in 10 different colors, 15 tank tops ($4 each), and 6 identical golf shirts in 6 different colors ($8 each).

I own one watch. It was $5. I haven't worn a watch in 1986, but recently took a trip to Israel and thought I'd need a watch to keep track of time since I was wasn't used to sunrise / sunset patterns there.

My shoes are Okibashi flip flops or my Payless sneakers.

As I saw on Facebook one day "Instead of a $300 handbag I'd rather have a $10 handbag with $290 dollars in it". Yep - that's ME !

This sounds like a teacher I had in HS. He wore the same outfit everyday. Blue Oxford shirt and khaki pants, black socks and loafers. The apparel was from Brooks Brothers . He took the shirts to a seamstress and had his initials sewn on the shirt pockets in different colors so people didn't think he only had one outfit. I think he also had a dark navy suit jacket.

I remember how we wore sport coats and ties every day of my early career. Then we went to golf shirts and khaki's.

In my early retirement, I bought two pairs of jeans shorts at Walmart and an Alabama and Auburn t-shirts at Dollar General. Those are my uniforms--swapping out clothes every other day.

I do have nice sports coats and slacks, but seldom wear them. I cannot remember where my suit is.

I've told my wife if I die, go to J.C. Pennys and buy a separate suit coat and bury me in my jeans shorts. Nobody will know.

It's winter time and I'm feeling good in my $50 flannel shirt bought at the hardware store - :)

The reason I retired early is so that I don't need no damn watch, Rolex or Timex.:rant:

Am I fashion conscious? Well, I notice the fashions on any Pretty Young Thing that might enter my field of view. Does that count?

For myself, I strive to be dressed well enough to not embarrass DW. That's about as far as it goes.

-ERD50

I'm so fashionable that I walked into a Lululemon store and the nice young lady working the door immediately led me to the counter to buy a gift card. She wouldn't let me near the actual merchandise.

Women can be fashionable just by throwing a long sweater and a scarf on over whatever they are wearing (probably not sweats W2R, but definitely over jeans and a tee shirt). Men? You're probably going to have to move away from the cargo pants. But fashion is as fashion does so whatever floats one's boat.

[...]Women can be fashionable just by throwing a long sweater and a scarf on over whatever they are wearing (probably not sweats W2R, but definitely over jeans and a tee shirt).
:LOL: So true! I think there is only one way to look fashionable in sweats. As my mother used to say, "it's not the clothes you wear, it's how you wear them" and I'd say the model below wears her sweats beautifully. Wish I could pull off a look like that! :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 26
A lady I met at the theater complimented me on my dress recently, saying it was beautifully cut and the neckline was elegant. I paid $70 for the dress, which I ordered online. Then again this was Washington D.C., so not exactly a hub of high couture. I suspect simply wearing a dress qualifies as high fashion.

:LOL: So true! I think there is only one way to look fashionable in sweats. As my mother used to say, "it's not the clothes you wear, it's how you wear them" and I'd say the model below wears her sweats beautifully. Wish I could pull off a look like that! :D

That should be your new avatar! Your mother was so right. I remember the girl in high school who set the standards: she could wear mismatched plaids one day by accident but with confidence and within a week everyone would be wearing mismatched plaids. I'm thinking that's how the ripped jeans trend started....

I don't spend any money on a watch, my cell phone has the time. Don't wear any jewelry or items for fashion. As for fashion, I am far from metrosexual. I would say my wardrobe is Kohl's or less. My non-working days I look more like a farmer or grease monkey as my fashion style. I do not enjoy and am really not comfortable being dressed up, although I can do it when required.

My common outfit is jeans, t-shirt and tennis shoes. Maybe a flannel or other shirt if colder and boots instead of the tennis shoes. At least my outfit is basically color and style coordinated, most of the time.....

Last edited:
I guess the OP is sorry he started this thread? I dress apprropriate to the occasion. If we are going somewhere fancy, than we dress somewhat fancy, sports jacket and jeans for me, DW a lot more fashion conscious than I am but she often gets great deals from gently used, second hand stores/sites. Most of the stuff has never been worn, a fraction of new price, well known designer names.

I have a few nice watches mostly Cartier, Baum & Mercier , Tag. No rolexes, nothing that would cost $10k. My clothing budget would be about 1% of our total spend. Often don't spend it all. DW spends her own money and I have no idea how much. A lot more than me.

We both know what looks good and dress accordingly, obviously not when we are knocking around at home. Would never leave home in sweat pants. Usually jeans and a sweater.

By the way, the best fashion advice I ever got was "Socks match the pants, belt matches the shoes". Amazing how many men get it wrong.

Last edited:
I guess I'm kind of a snob when it comes to jeans and only by Wrangler either at KM or WM. None of that designer stuff for me. There are only so many textile mills that make denim so the material is often the same. But then I've always been a bit of a rebel.

Cheers!

Totally unfashionable here, and linked to the thread in error...who knew 'bj bragging' would be about a card game? :blush:

I have a $7K custom bike but buy most of my clothes at Costco and REI. They look nice at bargain prices. I could afford expensive cloths and jewelry but I don't see any value in them. When I was working I wore suits. I bought nice looking suits in the $500 range never $1-2K suits.

I've never spent alot of money on clothes and have never owned a designer dress, designer shoes, designer handbag or designer anything. When I was w*orking my wardrobe was 10 identical $25 dresses in 10 different colors with 5 identical jackets in 5 different colors. Now my clothing consists of 5 pair of identical black shorts ($7 each), 3 pair of identical black long pants ($12 each) , 10 identical thin cotton tshirts ($4 each) in 10 different colors, 15 tank tops ($4 each), and 6 identical golf shirts in 6 different colors ($8 each).

I own one watch. It was $5. I haven't worn a watch in 1986, but recently took a trip to Israel and thought I'd need a watch to keep track of time since I was wasn't used to sunrise / sunset patterns there.

My shoes are Okibashi flip flops or my Payless sneakers.

As I saw on Facebook one day "Instead of a $300 handbag I'd rather have a $10 handbag with $290 dollars in it". Yep - that's ME !

You are my inspiration, except for the shoes..after 30 years of milking cows, I can't do flip-flops or cheap tennis shoes. My biggest vice is cold weather outergear..we have T-shirt weather from June until Sept and the range of outerwear needed to stay comfortable is insane.

By the way, the best fashion advice I ever got was "Socks match the pants, belt matches the shoes". Amazing how many men get it wrong.

You mean "Socks match each other" isn't enough?

Hmm. I guess I'm a little bit "fashion conscious," although DW would laugh at any such description of me. But mainly work/uniform related. Nicer Brooks Brothers suits, french cuffs, tie, suspenders, M-F and rotate the accessories over about a three month cycle (lots of second-hand ties and cufflinks from ebay). Far easier to dress like that than to worry about what iteration of "business casual" is called for--and no need to change the approach if it is a court day.

And, I was able to go to a black tie event on one-day notice this past weekend because of the tuxedos and tie/vest/cummerbund sets that I accumulated 15-20 years ago when we did charity events with friends in former location.

But, all of that stuff combined cost me less than the watches OP's friend was discussing. And Sat/Sun is flipflops, running shorts, and T-shirts (which will be Sun-Sat garb in a few months!)

Here's a tip. Find a retailer who has the sizing that works for you. For me it is Carbon2Cobalt and Banana Republic. Go to eBay and set a search follow for your size in those brands and let them email you when an item goes up for bid.
I just recently bought two sweaters: one Wool, one cotton for about 15% of the retail cost and both items are still being sold in the retail channel.
Added bonus, when I tire of an item, back on eBay it goes. I spend very little on clothing, though I can easily afford the best, yet I get compliments on how well put together I look.

Here's a tip. Find a retailer who has the sizing that works for you. ... Go to eBay and set a search follow for your size in those brands and let them email you when an item goes up for bid.

+1. I did this for my suits for a while, until the time/hassle of alterations became less subjectively appealing. Also have had success for DW with Ann Taylor.

You mean "Socks match each other" isn't enough?

Socks? I vaguely remember socks....
When my feet get cold I know it's time to head south for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom