Are you fashion conscious (plus rambling trip story and BJ bragging)

Seems like a lot of unnecessary maintenance. Why don't you just turn her in, and get one that fits your specs:confused:?

V

With a NW quickly approaching $5M, I could buy much better. I prefer to spend my money on more important things, like breast implants, liposuction for the DGF...

I actually spend retail on shoes, (sometimes), whichever sneaker is on sale at Kohls.

Oh, yeah- forgot about shoes. Before I retired I found a brand made in Italy and I have about 8 pairs in different styles, averaging about $250/pair. Other than the first pair, which I bought in a store, the rest were from the sale section of the store's Web site. I haven't bought any since retiring- don't need to. Real leather, comfortable, classic styles in neutral colors, they'll last for years, especially since they're made well enough that they can be repaired. I also need to replace a pair of Birkenstock sandals that are badly worn down. Ugly but I love them.

Oh, yeah- forgot about shoes. Before I retired I found a brand made in Italy and I have about 8 pairs in different styles, averaging about $250/pair. Other than the first pair, which I bought in a store, the rest were from the sale section of the store's Web site. I haven't bought any since retiring- don't need to. Real leather, comfortable, classic styles in neutral colors, they'll last for years, especially since they're made well enough that they can be repaired. I also need to replace a pair of Birkenstock sandals that are badly worn down. Ugly but I love them.

My gal is a fan of Keen sandals - summer winter or fall - and buys the heck out of them from Ebay. Has baskets full of them but keeps buying. There are worse vices.

I feel like a street person , we have been buying our clothes at the resale shops. In our area here in Houston we have 2 resale stores the size of a Burlington. I have bought brand new Tommy Bahama shirts for 5.95 with tags on them . DW loves it she says she can dress good for pennies . Shoes are a different story , we wear SAS ,Kuru or Crocs . Comfort has a price and we will pay for comfort . For traveling we wear KURU about 130.00 not stylish but for walking the most comfortable shoe you can buy. Watch I have a Timex bought it at the Timex store 9.99 changed the battery twice.

I used to love clothes and be very fashion conscious. I've lost that desire over the years. I'm still working but as an academic I can freely look at frowzy as I care to. Weekends and time at home means jeans, shorts, sweaters, t-shirts. I've bought a number of pieces of clothing from Target over the last number of years--that seems to be as high fashion as the frugal me is willing to go these days!

I still work and I shop at Nordstrom's for dress clothing. I don't shop that often, only buy classic style clothing that don't go out of fashion. I've had a cashmere dress coat for years that started out at $800. and I got for $200. My mom and sisters borrow it so it gets a lot of use. Depending what I'm doing at work, it could be jeans, shirt and safety boots or dressed to impress customers!
I had a Winter jacket from Nordstrom for years and loved that thing. When I went to buy a replacement couldn't find anything I liked so bought what was advertised as warm. It was warm alright but I couldn't move freely. Last year I bought a 3-in-1 jacket at Costco for $50. It was perfect (almost perfect it's not a double zipper) so I went back and bought a second one. Late in the season my sister borrowed 1 and it got stolen. Costco just started selling the same jacket this year and my sister bought me a replacement and it's still only $50.
Ladies, if you are looking for a warm, lightweight, flexible jackets (actually it's 2 jackets, an outer shell and inner shell, they go together so easy it's no problem to take them apart) look at Costco for the Gerry 3-in-1 for $50. My sister got me the black with raspberry inner jacket...she said it sets off her blonde hair. Guess she has plans to borrow.:LOL:

Actually I long for the all-cotton women's Levis, made in the USA, now impossible to find. You had to carefully calculate how many sizes bigger to buy because they shrunk terribly on that first wash. But they felt so good and wore so well. Now they mostly spandex or the like and made elsewhere; production is very poor.

Big difference between being "fashion conscious" and having a sense of personal style and knowing how to pull yourself together on occasion.

Like, to go out to dinner? I like to keep up with the latter. Classic, stuff that fits me and looks good, never goes out of "fashion".

The rest of the time I'm in workout clothes, t shirts, etc.

Not so much any more since I only work a few hours a month and that is from home. Now, when I was working full time it was different (yes, I was also a lawyer). I did spend quite a bit on work clothes. I wouldn't spend thousands on a jacket, but I would spend several hundred. It wouldn't be unusual for an outfit - jacket, skirt (or pants once it was OK for women to wear those), and blouse to top $1000.

As I got later in my career and I was married with kids, I didn't feel as need to be as fashionable and still wore nice clothes but not quite as expensive. There was once when I decided to be more frugal (just on general principle) and started spending less on clothes that I would just wear in the office and not to court. I quickly receive criticism from my superior that I needed to spend more money on my clothes. I was a lawyer making a good salary and I should look like it! I went shopping and upgraded things.

We buy most of our clothes at Costco these days. We just chuck stuff in the cart when we see something we like and at the end of each season do not seem to need much else. I buy comfortable REI kind of shoes and sandal brands like Keen, but I usually put them on price watch on camelcamelcamel and buy them from Amazon when the price is at an all time low. I just got a nice pair of black Keen sandals for around half the regular price because it is winter but I can wear them most of the year here.

Nothing wrong with Levi's but really "why change now?" Gotta adapt a little bit man. The times they are a changin'.
Good point. I switched over to Kirkland jeans from Costco. Darn Levis are too expensive .

Not fashion conscience but I always bought very good suits, dress shirts, ties, shoes, etc when I was working. They were all traditional styles. I found that better clothing looked better, travelled better, and lasted much longer (I dislike shopping). Plus, my customers were senior execs and dressed in a similar manner.

Four years into retirement and I have given all of my suits and most sports jackets away to a program that helps people get back into the workforce. Have only worn a suit once.

It is jeans, shorts, dockers now. So much so that we now travel with carry on only no matter how long the trip.

We have two theater subscriptions and have been the only man wearing a suit and the only woman wearing a dress. Granted, these are matinees so it's mainly oldpeople, but can't they dress up a little bit for a show in the city? I thought the generation just ahead of mine were raised to dress for occasions. Instead, it's a horrid sea of elastic waist slacks that are too short, pullover sweaters, and orthopedic walking shoes. Looks like early bird dinner at a Florida Denny' s.

The too-short pants are the worst. I'm thinking of yoga pants, the ones that end at mid-calf. Unless you're perilously thin, they make your rear end look fat.

I try to look put-together but decent when the occasion calls for it- clean jeans that fit, my good boots, maybe a nice, comfortable pullover with a scarf, and of course some jewelry. I decided years ago that when you have a 50- or 60+- year old face and grey hair and glasses, if you don't pay attention to your overall appearance you'll look awful. You can't get away with grunge anymore.

Being that I am not fashion conscious at all I cant believe I even clicked on this thread. I had no idea that there were so many people out there who cared what they or others dressed like. Or that anyone cared what kind of watch or other doodads people put on. It brings up the question; why do people care what themselves or other people dress like? Is it to show how successful you think you are? Is it to get more "high society" friends? To get sex? To get others less fortunate to think highly of you? I honestly don't know.

Amethyst, I also don't understand If you are one who likes to go to a theatre to enjoy a show why it would matter if the other attendees weren't dressed to your standards. If everyone were dressed to your expectations would you have more fun or get more out of the show? Or is it just to bothersome to be around a group of people who dress in what they feel comfortable or what they can afford?

It seems a little more understandable for women to be concerned about dress and appearance because it seems society has placed more of that burden on them. However for a guy to be concerned if his or another guys belt matches his boots/shoes quite honestly seems a little weird. Honestly I had to look down at my belt and make sure it matched my boots to see if I could safely leave the house today. Thankfully they match since I only have one belt one color of shoes. My Coleman watch is covered by my long sleeve flannel shirt so that should be fine too.

Last edited:
We have two theater subscriptions and have been the only man wearing a suit and the only woman wearing a dress. Granted, these are matinees so it's mainly oldpeople, but can't they dress up a little bit for a show in the city? I thought the generation just ahead of mine were raised to dress for occasions. Instead, it's a horrid sea of elastic waist slacks that are too short, pullover sweaters, and orthopedic walking shoes. Looks like early bird dinner at a Florida Denny' s.

Maybe you are going to the wrong theaters if you are the only people dressed like that. DH goes to the Lyric Opera several times a season and reports tuxedos, suits, cardigans, and even a few gasp! clutch my pearls! jeans being worn by the men but he is able to enjoy the production anyway. The generation ahead of me wore girdles, gloves, and fedoras (not the same gender at the same time) when they left the house and smoked like chimneys. Times change.

Hilarious. :LOL:

The too-short pants are the worst. I'm thinking of yoga pants, the ones that end at mid-calf. Unless you're perilously thin, they make your rear end look fat.

The founder of Lulu Lemon got into a lot of trouble a few years ago by saying some people shouldn't wear Lulu's yoga pants. But it's obviously true.

I have to look down at my shoes to be sure they match each other.

I have a funny story about mismatched shoes. One of my customers is an incredibly wealthy farmer who also owns an excavating company, a few grocery stores, a propane business and some gas stations. For as long as I have known him he always wears two different shoes. Knowing that he could afford anything he wanted it always bugged me why he would do this. So, one day I came out and asked him in a joking way if he knew he had on two different shoes. He boldly and proudly stated that he always wore two different shoes. I of course acted surprised and asked why. He said I always where the two most comfortable shoes that I own. Pretty simple I guess. Next time I see him I am going try to get a look at his belt and see if it matches one of his shoes. Hopefully he is not going to the theatre dressed like that. (sarcasm).

He probably looks at people who are all dressed up and thinks there must have been a death in the family.

Last edited:
Being that I am not fashion conscious at all I cant believe I even clicked on this thread. I had no idea that there were so many people out there who cared what they or others dressed like. Or that anyone cared what kind of watch or other doodads people put on. It brings up the question; why do people care what themselves or other people dress like? Is it to show how successful you think you are? Is it to get more "high society" friends? To get sex? To get others less fortunate to think highly of you? I honestly don't know.

Amethyst, I also don't understand If you are one who likes to go to a theatre to enjoy a show why it would matter if the other attendees weren't dressed to your standards. If everyone were dressed to your expectations would you have more fun or get more out of the show? Or is it just to bothersome to be around a group of people who dress in what they feel comfortable or what they can afford?

It seems a little more understandable for women to be concerned about dress and appearance because it seems society has placed more of that burden on them. However for a guy to be concerned if his or another guys belt matches his boots/shoes quite honestly seems a little weird. Honestly I had to look down at my belt and make sure it matched my boots to see if I could safely leave the house today. Thankfully they match since I only have one belt one color of shoes. My Coleman watch is covered by my long sleeve flannel shirt so that should be fine too.
How you dress has more to do with how it makes you feel, not how it makes others feel. If you are comfortable in what you wear, be happy, but don't judge others for wanting to dress the way that makes them feel good.

I am an engineer and only wear T shirt or sweat shirt. For vacation to cold places, I wear better stuff like Northface and Arcteryx.

I have way less items than my 11 yo daughter.

How you dress has more to do with how it makes you feel, not how it makes others feel. If you are comfortable in what you wear, be happy, but don't judge others for wanting to dress the way that makes them feel good.

+1. It's how you feel that's important. I feel better when I look half decent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom