Are you still listening to OTA radio?

I listen to OTA radio in my truck but the stations I listen to don't have commercials. These stations are the high definition, HD additional stations of the established FM stations. For example, let's say the classic rock station is 92.5 FM. Then the additional HD same channel station would be 92.5.1 and 92.5.2. I strongly advise anyone with an HD radio to seek out these additional stations.

But mostly I listen to my music library which consists of 1,200 songs I have on a USB stick plugged into my truck's stereo.

I do listen to OTA with commercials for 50 minutes a day, approximately 3 days a week. It's a financial program on a local AM station that I tune into via the internet.

Otherwise, I have a burning hatred for commercials.

I am a Wisconsin Public Radio junkie. If I'm outside puttering around I have it playing somewhere in the background. And I send them money every month. It's part of the "Wisconsin Idea," a social enlightenment plan put forth in the state during the Progressive era.

Awhile ago I was at a social gathering where some friends were complaining about a nest of ground-dwelling yellowjackets that was tormenting them. Hit them with Sevin dust, I told them, because the hornet sprays will never get to them. Where did I learn that? Public radio.

I have to chuckle at the complaints about radio commercials, because my first job out of college was writing radio commercials for a rock station in Wisconsin's Fox River Valley. It was the most creative job I had in my working life. We really went over the top with craziness.

Everybody knows about radio's Golden Age, from its inception to the widespread arrival of television circa 1960. I would argue that radio had a second golden age in the mid-late 60s till about 1975. It's where I learned about all the upcoming rock bands of the day -- Cream, Traffic, Leslie West (RIP), but also Robert Johnson, Terry Reid and Jesse WInchester. The latter three would never get play in today's OTA radio playlist.

I installed a bluetooth-enabled radio in my commuter car back in 2016. I just couldn't stand even ONE more political ad!

I ripped all my old CDs to MP3 and now driving is a lot less stressful.

I'll never pay for satellite radio. As far as I can see, it's going the same way as cable TV. Remember when cable TV advertised "$10 a month and no commercials?" Yeah. How did THAT work out?

Since I drive a 2004 Highlander and I'm out of cassettes, I listen to OTA radio. Strangely, IMO anyway, there's tons of good music stations out near Ocean City MD, in an area that is mostly rural. But in the DC Metro area with a million people around the music radio choices suck, and I listen mostly to NPR with a little Bloomberg thrown in for variety.

mostly AM talk radio when i'm in our home office. mostly the country music or 60s/70s/80s channels on Sirius/XM in the cars/RV.

Did XM back in 2003-15 for the same reason. I also was able to get it while we lived in Mexico (barely).

Since we've moved back, I listen a lot to Amazon Prime music (included in subscription). There's 1 station in Dallas that plays my kind of music (great mix of all types) & is member supported and NO COMMERCIALS. They also have an app if you want to check them out... 91.7 KXT

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-212217.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-212217.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 19
I turn it on first thing in the morning, before I go to the bathroom. If it's a commercial or I can't get a clear signal (do to the lack of an external antenna that I could adjust) then sometimes I'll try another station and sometimes I'll turn it off. It gets turned off within 5 minutes either way. I listen to doo wop on tunein.com and various kinds of YouTube music videos, some of which I downloaded.

Commuting by car drove me to sports radio. Anything to take my mind off the other drivers. Continued to listen on an ipod nano once I got to work. Anything to take my mind off the other workers.

Then I retired and got my mind back!

Now it's a daily dose of NPR, podcasts and Spotify through the internets.
:dance:

Did XM back in 2003-15 for the same reason. I also was able to get it while we lived in Mexico (barely).

Since we've moved back, I listen a lot to Amazon Prime music (included in subscription). There's 1 station in Dallas that plays my kind of music (great mix of all types) & is member supported and NO COMMERCIALS. They also have an app if you want to check them out... 91.7 KXT
Thanks for pointing out the station, I will download their app and will take a listen.

We also have a online streaming + broadcast radio station without commercials in my area which I listen to a lot, which has an app:
https://www.thatstation.net/
957ThatStation_300x300_1-01.jpg

We have access to most of the local OTA radio stations via our cable source. However, I rarely listen to them except in the car. We have a couple of oldies stations and those are all I listen to unless there is a weather/tsunami warning etc. I don't pay for any satellite stations. YMMV

DW has an old-school Bose radio in the kitchen. She sometimes plays the local jazz station. On rare occasions, we might listen to NPR in the car. And sometimes we play the local classic rock station on the outdoor speakers around the pool if we have friends over, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Otherwise, no... I mainly listen to podcasts in situations where I used to listen to OTA radio, like in the workshop, in the car, while mowing or working around the house. If I'm in the mood for music, it's usually Pandora. I've spent years configuring and refining a set of stations that always surprises me with great music I've never heard before.

I haven't listened to the radio in years. I have a flash drive in my car and my phone and computer are loaded with music. Every now and then when I want a change I'll put on one of the Galaxy music stations that comes with my cable package.

Thanks for pointing out the station, I will download their app and will take a listen.

We also have a online streaming + broadcast radio station without commercials in my area which I listen to a lot, which has an app:
https://www.thatstation.net/
957ThatStation_300x300_1-01.jpg

Thanks. Will give this one a try.

When traveling I never listen to radio in my car. I have all my cd's copied on a memory stick and just keep it inserted. I shuffle the songs so it's like listening to radio w/o the commercials.

I did notice that the music station I mostly listen too is heavily sponsored by 2 competing funeral homes. May be a sign.

I like to occasionally listen to talk radio, both right and left, so I reluctantly put up with the commercials. Most of the time it's streaming Pandora when I'm driving.

The only time we listen to OTA radio is in our cars, and there it's mostly background noise. DW listens, when I am driving alone, I often turn the radio off. On long trips, I will listen to my iPhone music library (not "Apple Music" subscription) via CarPlay.

I listen to OTA radio a lot--both in the house and in the car. Mainly NPR and a local AM station for local information. I often listen to sporting events on the radio while watching on the TV because I like the radio sports announcers better.

I listen to AM talk radio a lot. I hate the commercials, and I just turn the volume down when they come on. Luckily it is predictable how long you have to keep the volume down. It's a learned routine for me now. Just part of the free radio listening experience. If there is ever an interesting topic on NPR (happens sometimes) I really enjoy the absence of commercials!

I listen to OTA a lot. Talk radio and local classic rock station. Always radio on when driving, or out in my shop garage. I occasionally do Pandora in garage. But mostly just the local OTA radio.

In the car, yes.
Don't own a radio, so if I listen in the house it is via computer/cable.
I definitely don't listen as much as I did when working, just rarely have it on.

I listen to OTA radio a lot--both in the house and in the car. Mainly NPR and a local AM station for local information. I often listen to sporting events on the radio while watching on the TV because I like the radio sports announcers better.
Particularly with college basketball. I wish ESPN and ACCN would hire radio announcers. If I hear Dick Vital talk about having dinner with a coach and his wife in the middle of the action one more time....

Talk Radio in the car.
At home sometimes listen to talk radio or music with the free IHEART Radio app on my Echo both upstairs and downstairs. Had horrible AM reception in the house in the old days before got my Echo devices, could not do without them now.

Back
Top Bottom