Avoiding a "retirement party"

Didn't you ever learn how to call in sick?

my physician "prescribed" me two weeks off - which JUST HAPPENED to happen during my last two weeks. Go figger. I had am MD appointment on Monday 12/07/09 (my last day was scheduled for 12/18) and **darned** if I didn't come out of that appointment with an excuse for two weeks leave. Had to go to my direct supervisor, and tell him I was gone NOW. Funny thing, my desk had somehow gotten cleaned out Friday before. Perhaps I had ... ummm... a premonition? that the MD would... ummmmm "force" me to take those two weeks off. Go figger

I think you definitely have the wrong idea with avoiding the party.

I ended up using retirement as an excuse to throw an all weekend party with 20 friends/couples down on the beach in Florida including a shuffleboard tournament, fishing charters, movie theater special screening of office space, custom iPhone app, and golf.

Pricetag was a bit steep, but the gang definitely enjoyed it. Still, I'm sure I'll get bored, and will need about half of them to help me launch a startup in another few years, so I figure it was worth it, and it was great using it as an excuse to get in touch with old contacts/friends.

I think you definitely have the wrong idea with avoiding the party.
I ended up using retirement as an excuse to throw an all weekend party with 20 friends/couples down on the beach in Florida including a shuffleboard tournament, fishing charters, movie theater special screening of office space, custom iPhone app, and golf.
Pricetag was a bit steep, but the gang definitely enjoyed it. Still, I'm sure I'll get bored, and will need about half of them to help me launch a startup in another few years, so I figure it was worth it, and it was great using it as an excuse to get in touch with old contacts/friends.
I think you have the term "retirement party" confused with "networking event".

Most of us feel that the typical retirement party is an awkward high-stress social event imposed by management who really doesn't care about the person, and we'd rather spend [-]the[/-] our time doing something for ourselves.

If you're sure you'll get bored, then why retire?

Back
Top Bottom